WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bodock stock for a Handi

Boolit Master
    The trick to working it is to forget it's wood. Just toss out most of the principles of woodworking and approach it like a very soft non ferrous metal. Not joking!

Boolit Master
    Wood like this is where scrapers earn their keep in place of sandpaper, at least for courser grits. Is the knot anywhere near a thin point in the final stock? If not, you could keep it for character. If a crack does show up as you shape it, fill it with acraglass or some other decent epoxy.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Interesting project, I'll be watching the results. I've made a lot of osage bows over the years. I made one tomahawk handle. First time it hit on the end, the whole thing shattered. Lots of bending strength, not so much sheer resistance.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I call the fruit horse apples and we called it a bodark tree never heard it called a Osage orange you learn something new every day ,do know its hard wood had to cut some down one time burn up a couple chains on the chain saw in the process.

MR O
    Remember sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees

Boolit Master

Bout time you do something besides casting, loading, shooting and working.
    I might be out this weekend on Saturday, I will stop by to see the progress.
    Trade eggs for lead?LOL
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Dean, get a farrier's rasp....from building numerous Osage bows I can tell you it's gonna be your best friend working that wood. Once you get fairly close, switch to scrapers.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Dean, get a farrier's rasp....from building numerous Osage bows I can tell you it's gonna be your best friend working that wood. Once you get fairly close, switch to scrapers.
    +1. A Sureform tool is good, too, as is an electric angle grinder with a regular metal grinding wheel on it for doing contours. I have built several bows myself and turned a lot of pegs from that stuff, but it is indeed very brittle in cross-section in spite of the long, stringy, parallel grain. This is stock going to be neat.

I have a 6" Bodark (what we call it in central Texas) fence post that ruined two saw chains cutting off at ground level. It's about 70 years old I was going to turn a corner post for the stair bannister out of it, but it would take a metal lathe to do so.

Gear

Perm-Banned
    roy ellis is right, ive built a fair number of custom muzzeloaders and i always use a hoof rasp, it is the very best wood file out their. you can really shape your stock with them then after that go to what ever.

Boolit Buddy
    Good old horse apple! Good luck! If Indians could make good bows from the wood with nothing more than a sharp rock as a scraper...you should be able to shape a stock out of it.

Boolit Master
    How old is the Handi? They've been screwed to the barrel lug for a long time but earlier H&Rs had a spring loaded snap on doodad for attaching the forend.

Round here we call em hedge. Makes darn good firewood. Dad made a pipe outta antler but and a stem from the hedge. Really pretty but the stem couldn't stand the heat and split.

Boolit Master
    Got the forearm roughed in. Sweet Mary & Joseph this stuff makes a MESS!!!!! Anyway, now the real pain begins. I want this thing to fit really well. I think I am going to oversize the entire barrel channel and order me some Acraglass and really bed this thing up right.
    I also have to decide what shape to make. I have PLENTY to work with but I am limited on my ability. It's already pretty long, I'm thinking of adding an exotic wood tip and making it a semi/sorta Mannilicher stock. I think a piece of Gaboon ebony might contrast NICE. Got any thoughts on that?????

Boolit Master
    Well now I'm interested enough to subscribe to the thread.

Keep us posted.

Boolit Buddy

Hey Dean, thanks for including us on this project. Looks to be an interesting one. Like you, I like my Handi's to be a bit different from the pack.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141001_140303.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	117954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141001_140250.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	117956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141001_140238.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	117957

Not trying to steal your show here, this came from NEF with that laminated stock. I sure didn't build it. But it is somewhat unique from the run of the mill NEF.

Yours is going to be quite the interesting piece.

Boolit Master
    Dlbarr, that looks great. The Handi gets treated like a redheaded stepchild but once you tinker with one a bit and find a load, I will argue a better value for a stronger gun cannot be found.

I really like that laminate. A place here TN called the Woodcrafters Store has some laminate blanks. After this steep learning curve, I may try my hand with a block that. Have you seen my laminate Boyd's stock on my .357 Mag? I traded for the stock with a nice fellar here on Castboolits. I love it!!

In the future, I may restock this .357 Magnum with something else and find me a .308 barrel to have rebored to .358 Winchester and use this stock. It really soaks up recoil.

Boolit Buddy

That's a right good-lookin stock, Dean. I've never had a thumb hole stock, nor even shot one as I like traditional "stuff". But that has some interest. Have to look those up and see what's available..

forearm spacers, brass, are available.

go to graybeards and do some searching. the name of the fellow who makes them is there. I just can't remember right now.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

I spoke to Dean today and saw the work, looks great.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

In Remembrance
    Like someone else mentioned, I grew up calling them horse apple and/ or bodark. Trying to cut a dead one with a chainsaw at night, you would swear someone had a sidegrinder on steel, just a steady stream of sparks.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    I spoke to Dean today and saw the work, looks great.
    Speak to him again and tell him we want to see too!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast