Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee mould for 45acp?

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    My suggestion is the Lee 452-228 1R

Attachment 117814
    That's a good lookin boolet, I think I will get me one of those moulds!

You may appreciate my new PC color.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

I like the Lee TL-200-SWC, tumble lube them with LLA and run them through a 451 Lee sizing die, for the pretty holes in the paper, as well as the Lee 200 SWC (H&G 68 clone) which makes great holes too, I lube-size it on the Star lube-sizer (great fun), and my 200gr HP from MP molds, both round hole and hex hole; the hex hole look so mean. MY XDm 45 eats them up, and spits them out with no trouble at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lee Version of the H&G 68 is my latest favorite boolit. I had Buckshot mill most of the BB of of mine. I trimmed off what was left.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    The Lee Version of the H&G 68 is my latest favorite boolit. I had Buckshot mill most of the BB of of mine. I trimmed off what was left.

Shiloh
    I have no idea what a " BB " is.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Try the 452-200-RF very accurate for me. Comes in 2 or 6 cavity mold from Lee.
    Works well for me too. My mold actually drops boolits at 215-217 gr.

Boolit Master
    BB = Bevel Base, some guys like it some hate it, I find it does make loading easier and since I'm Powder Coating now the buildup of lube on the base is a non issue.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Works well for me too. My mold actually drops boolits at 215-217 gr.
    Mine drop at 206 or 207 with Wheel Weights.

Quote Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
    BB = Bevel Base, some guys like it some hate it, I find it does make loading easier and since I'm Powder Coating now the buildup of lube on the base is a non issue.
    Thanks Harley !!!
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

I am casting 45 using the Lee 6 cavity mold. Makes a bunch in no time. I stopped using Alox and now Powder Coating. Less smoke, no leading and the boolits look cool! I can also push them at jacketed velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybees View Post
    Attachment 117749
    This is one dropped from my lee 200 RNFP. They drop pretty consistently around 218-220. I water quench then LLA tumble. I seat them at 1.155 for proper function in my 21sf. My 1911 (which I no longer have) allowed for a longer OAL but I was getting terrible feeding issues. At the time, didn't even think about seating them deeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ido356 View Post
    I have a TL452-200-RF for 45 ACP, and have to seat the boolit real deep to keep from contacting the throat. I just got the TL452-230-2R and have only casted a few for working on loads, but looks like they're gong to work just fine.

FWIW, I need to seat the 452-200-RF REALLY deep, 1.10", to pass the plunk test in my 1911's. It makes for some stubby rounds, but they feed fine. I think of their profile as being like a 230RN with the nose chopped off.

I have had great results with the 452-230-TC at 1.18", and this is what I use the most in all my 45's.

I just got a 452-228-1R but I haven't had a chance to shoot any yet. You can crank out a pile of boolits fast with a Lee 6 cav mold.

Thanx for all the input.. I´ll go with the 200gr SWC #68 clone.. and leaning towards the TL230gr TC as a second mould... or the 200gr RF... or... or....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911KY View Post
    That's a good lookin boolet, I think I will get me one of those moulds!

You may appreciate my new PC color.
    Looks like Ford's "Powder Blue" popular in the seventies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    My suggestion is the Lee 452-228 1R

Attachment 117814
    +1 on the 228-1R. This was my first mold and I've since shot thousands with excellent results. However, as one poster already mentioned, I also use the Lee 200-SWC (H&G 68 copy) to stretch my lead a little further. Comes down to personal preference.....any of the designs listed in this thread would suit your needs just fine.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    Been real happy with the first 27,000 boolits from the TL230 lee, but I just got a 200swc, so we will see if it is worth it to save 115lbs of alloy on the next 27,000.

I have had good luck with boolits cast in an old Lee 452-190 SWC single cavity mold. These feed well and don't use up too much lead. Cut clean holes in paper and cardboard. Load is 5.7 grains of Win 231 or HP38. Do not think this shape is still available from Lee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12