MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Automated de-primer design?

Boolit Buddy

Automated de-primer design?

I like to begin the processing of my cases by de-priming, cleaning, then sizing. I do a lot of .45ACPs with a single stage press and a universal de-prime die. I like to keep a good supply of clean and ready to load brass on hand. Its a slow process now.

I'm thinking of an electric motor driven, eccentric cam operated plunger to knock out the primers and maybe a wheel or a linear feed into that operation. Feeding by hand won't be so bad if I don't have to pull a handle and remove the case every time. Maybe a case feeder comes later.

This is just to de-prime, not to re-size - so not a lot of force involved on downstroke, upstroke or case holding. And just for pistol cases - so not a lot of length to the stroke.

I have good manual machine tools and some skills but no design at this point.
    Anyone have any ideas or examples to share?

This one deprimes /sizes and swages but you could just deprime, over 4000/ hr

Boolit Buddy
    That is nice.
    Is that a modified Dillon 1050?
    I'm thinking about starting from scratch - a stand alone machine.

Yes, it's processing 40 in that video.

I still have not finished automating my 45 acp 1050 but it will also cull small primer brass too.

This is that device.

Although its upside down and doesn't place anything into and eject from the shell holder, this is a single stage that I automated.

I would think it would NOT be a good idea to try and manually feed and eject cases by hand. After you destroy a finger or fingers it will make a 1050 seem cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh no!
    When I say feed it by hand, I mean to put the cases into the feed device. No fingers near the actual de-prime operation. i.e.- with a circular feed wheel I'd place cases a couple places away from the action.

You would just need a way to have it indexed precisely and have the case held. You would essentially be building your own progressive press, just using one station.

Boolit Buddy
    That may be why there is no such machine. It does kind of turn into making a progressive press but with only one station.

More comments or ideas welcome.

There was a thread where someone made an easy eject device to put on their single stage. You put a shell in the shell holder, raise the ram and resize/deprime, then lower the ram and the device pushes the shell out of the shell holder into a bin. I think Inline Fabrication makes his own version for sale.

Sorry I don't have the Skills to make or come up with what you need However.
    I Love watching Jmorris's Video's of his inventions, Just wish he could mass produce them so I could afford to own a few of them... Great work as usual..
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponologist View Post
    Sorry I don't have the Skills to make or come up with what you need ..
    But- but - you're the Weaponologist. You can do it. Really it isn't that hard. Search RCBS case kicker. It can be made out of metal strapping material. Here's a link to the instructions. http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf You're half way there!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris