Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Linotype

Linotype

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	117502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2543.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	117501

Saturday morning

Nice haul but why melt down lino? I just leave mine in type form & add it as needed.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I agree with Fred. Don't melt lino into ingots.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nice haul!
    You can mail it to me in ingots if you want to...... as long as you do MAIL IT TO ME!!!!

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

It was a matter of storage. I'm trying to standardize my alloys and how I store them. The other reason was that this lino had been outside, was in buckets, was wet and dirty. Now it is dry and clean and in uniform units. And it made me feel good.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Nice haul but why melt down lino? I just leave mine in type form & add it as needed.
    The linotype that I have is in ingots from the print shop it came from. Is that bad? They are about two foot long with a hole in one end.

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    The linotype that I have is in ingots from the print shop it came from. Is that bad? They are about two foot long with a hole in one end.
    very bad. send to me for recycling. I can use them in 2-foot increments. and I can stack 'em like chordwood.

As the bars with the hole in the end, or actual strips with type on them are "known" forms of linotype alloys having them in that form is good. You can see what they are at a glance, no need for labels or chance of mixing them in by accident. The big advantage of keeping them in that form is it makes selling or trading them easier. Keep the hole end of the bar and break off chunks as needed from the other end.

Most people would much rather purchase lead in a form that they know what it is than in anon ingots that say "Lee", "RCBS", or came out of a muffin tin and could be anything.

I think it would be best to put it in ingots. I recently cast some bullets for a fellow using the lines of type he sent. They were all from the same MI shop, but spread over a period of several years. I added a few more lines whenever I needed to, and the weight variation was substantially more than what I usually get. I don't think there were many people refreshing or rejuvenating their lino during the period of time that the lines were cast, 70s-90s. The formula varied over the years. I wish I'd melted it all down into ingots before starting the project, though the fellow is happy with them as is. The bullets shoot great groups out of his K31, as they do mine.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

There is that variable alloy mix aspect of things that madsenshooter brings up to consider. Melting the thin strips into ingots would tend to balance it all out to a common alloy if done in large batches. Guess it depends on if you have enough you might be trying to swap/sell some off or are going to use it all yourself. I would tend to leave the heavy bars of linotype in raw form since it is already something of an ingot and breaking a chunk off as needed is pretty easy.

"makes selling or trading them easier"

What never thought of that all i do is find it cast it then shoot it and stock pile it like it will gone some day

Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    "makes selling or trading them easier"

What never thought of that all i do is find it cast it then shoot it and stock pile it like it will gone some day
    Sometimes one has more than they need of one specific alloy so a little horse trading or selling to get something they are short of can work out pretty decent. I'm betting some of the pewter sold on the forum the money turns right around to get some lead. Not so much diminishing the stock pile as balancing it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Don't melt lino into ingots.
    Mine came to me in ingot form ... six 50 pounders! Same shape as pig lead
    Regards
    John

Not at all, I used to get mine that way. I just don't see re melting it, if it is already in manageable units like type. There may be a small variation from one lot to another, but I like easy, re melting is not easy.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol