Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Going rate for unprocessed range lead?

Boolit Mold

Going rate for unprocessed range lead?

So...I may have an opportunity to get as much unprocessed indoor water trap range lead as I want. I'm looking at 45 cents per pound. Fair bit of copper in the mix that I assume I can skim and sell to the recyclers as scrap to recoup a bit of the cost. Am I crazy or is this a pretty good deal? Thinking I may go for 1,000 pounds or more.

Boolit Master
    Here's the skinny on the copper jacket materials: If you have a good scrap yard that's not run by an *******, you get "light copper" price for your jackets (you still need to remove ferrous metals with a magnet). Last time I sold some it was around $2/lb. Around here (south Florida) they stick a magnet in the bucket and if a SINGLE SLIVER of steel material sticks to the magnet they offer steel scrap price for everything (which means it just cost you more in gas to deliver it). I pay 20 cents a pound for indoor range scrap and my yield averages 65-70%. That still gives me good lead for pistol shooting at 30 cents plus the propane. YMMV.

Boolit Mold
    Great info Bjornb. Thanks! I assume the waste is primarily sell-able stuff, more so than clip on wheel weight waste like zinc and steel? Sounds like the price is only so/so then? I've been paying $1.20/lb for clean clip on ingots shipped to my door, so 45 cents sounded like a decent deal (but more work) compared to what I'm getting currently.

Quote Originally Posted by tocsin View Post
    Great info Bjornb. Thanks! I assume the waste is primarily sell-able stuff, more so than clip on wheel weight waste like zinc and steel? Sounds like the price is only so/so then? I've been paying $1.20/lb for clean clip on ingots shipped to my door, so 45 cents sounded like a decent deal (but more work) compared to what I'm getting currently.
    I am luck to get .80 a pound for what they call dirty brass and .10 a pound for my dirty lead . Also .10 a pound is all they pay if I would take the range lead to them .Marvin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tocsin View Post
    The waste after smelting COWWs will usually be accepted as scrap steel (which is generally the lowest metal recycling rate paid by a scrap yard). I usually drop it off along with the zinc weights i sorted out, if I'm going past the scrap yard anyway. Again, much depends on the individual yard operator. For example, in my area the scrap yards that sell to the public (most are contracted to Chinese buyers) will try to nail you for a dollar+ per pound for COWW.

Boolit Grand Master

Bullet jackets are technically red brass as they aren't pure copper. If the yard gives you any type of copper price you are making out.

Boolit Mold
    All good info. Thanks guys!

Boolit Master
    Also, at the yard i used to go to they look in the bucket and if there is a few tiny droplets of lead mixed in youl get 25 cents a pound for soft lead. I took 30 pounds in to get my usual red brass prices and they found a few mall lead specks and gave me almost nothing. They were crooked and as soon as they weigh it they dump it in a barrel so you cant say no and go elsewhere. I dont go there anymore.