RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Lee 4-20 let me down

Possibly an electrostatic phenomenon? Don't know. I finished cleaning the pot like my wife does the coffee maker, with boiling water & white vinegar. Got it really clean! The effluent is of course toxic. I got all of the lead back in it and cast 300+ Boolits without a hitch!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master

You use one long enough and it will happen. I have kept a raised edge pan bellow my pot since the first time it happened to me. I have kept the pan there even though I switched to the Pro-melt. You never know when something can cut loose.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Thinking more about the dirt, it doesn't seem to be wetted by molten lead. I think that's the thing, it would have to be "washed" loose by the lead before it could float up. Instead it clings to the bottom and sides, and the lead doesn't penetrate into it. Probably a good thing it doesn't easily get suspended in lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just use plain water on mine. Fill it about 2/3 full, plug it in, and as soon as I see the water begin to boil, I unplug the pot. Once it's cool, I use a wire brush (the kind that are like a large toothbrush) and scrub the pot interior with the water still contained.

I do this every 5000 boolits or so. I also remove the metering rod and clean the seat with dental picks and the rod with emery cloth.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I don't have dental picks, but running a piece of wound guitar string in and out of the spout really opened it up.

Boolit Master

For my pot, a 1/16" diameter drill bit was perfect to clean it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    You use one long enough and it will happen. I have kept a raised edge pan bellow my pot since the first time it happened to me. I have kept the pan there even though I switched to the Pro-melt. You never know when something can cut loose.
    I had this happen to me once on my promelt. I put a spring in with the adjustment screw that is used to adjust the flow. It keeps a positive pressure downward on the valve. I haveen't noticed any powder or rust buildup in my promelt, but I did see it happen on my 10 pound lee production pot IV that I had.

Boolit Man
    I have a 10# Lee bottom poor pot that was given to me used. No idea when or if It's ever been cleaned out. I've casted a few thousand rounds with it. Guess I better figure out how to empty it and get it cleaned. I'll be keeping something under it from now on too.
    Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

I empty mine at the end of every casting session, & I always have that powdery residue & rust???
    I also take my rod out & emery cloth it about every 2-3 sessions along with doing my best to clean the pour spout hole & I still have drips. But for the money I'm completely ok with it.
    Ricochet,
    Glad nothing got damaged other then the desk top & as you mentioned it'll be a reminder to you.

Eric

Boolit Master
    Just a suggestion. With the pot empty and cold. put a small dab of valve grinding paste on the end of the valve stem and in the hole. Spin the stem with a drill for several seconds. Do this several times when you drain the pot. For ME it made the valve stem seat better in the valve outlet. In just a couple of attempts all of my dripping stooped. Kevin

kbstenberg,
    That is a great idea, I've never thought about doing that. Some automotive swirl removing waxes will work too I bet, just because they to have a small amount of abrasiveness in them.

Eric

I did attempt to burnish it by simply turning the rod with a screwdriver, dry while holding some pressure on it.

Boolit Master
    My lee 4-20 did something similar except it was the first time it was ever fired up. Put ingots in it along with a bit of antimony and pewter, ran in to use the mens room and came back to a 20lb pile of lead stuck to my blactop garage floor! Its still there looking like a silver cow patty. Maybe i will try to pry it up along with a chunk of my floor. Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12