WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Sig Mosquito

Banned

Sig Mosquito

Anybody out there shooting one of these? Took one on trade for some outboard motor parts don't like the trigger pull though.

Boolit Master

I think this may be the only SIG that I've ever heard any owner say bad things about. I've not shot one, but I've been told by those who have owned them that they are problem guns. Could be that they had a lemon, or were otherwise biased though.

Boolit Master
    If it's pink, I'll buy it off you. My sister inlaw wrote a novel, "pink .22" in which a sig mosquito plays a pivotal role. In fact the original title was "Pink Mosquito", but was changed going into publishing.

Boolit Master
    I read a lot of reviews while looking for a lightweight 22LR. The reviews on this gun were very bad. Seemed like it did not reliably feed most types of ammo. This was several years ago, perhaps the bugs are out of it now.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I have one ,no problems after break in .it is picky on ammo loves fed value packs
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    dave has it close. it don't like some ammo. I have one, it shoots good but it does have a thing for ammo . CCI don't work Remington gold works and feds seem the best / the cheap fed or rems will jamb
    didn't try win as didn't have any . fed HP worked fine

Boolit Master

I am a big fan of SIG.

BUT.

I rented the Mosquito for an hour at the range a couple of years ago and you couldn't run fast enough to give it to me.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I've had two. I gave the first one to a young lady friend. The owner's manual clearly states to use CCI Mini-mag ammo. It has been my experience the CCI Mini--mag works well. I've tried several of the bulk packs of ammo and none of them would function reliably. Neither of mine have had more than a few hundred rounds through them so I don't know if this improves with break-in or not. I have enjoyed them.Rick

Boolit Master
    Here's a review with info about the problem, what to do about it. Second video shows it running very good. http://www.homedefenseweapons.net/14...quito-reviews/
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Banned
    Well took it out yesterday evening with what 22 ammo I had at the house tried the cci shot 50 no jams then I shot fed 50 rds no jams then I shot some Russian steel case and it jammed but that stuff jams my 10/22 also so I still have some reservations but a friend that has one says you have to keep it clean I got a good deal and I think its a keeper. PS BD its not pink.

Boolit Master
    Got my daughter one and overall it seems to work fine with the right ammo. I've had some issues and those are listed below, I thought that range time would be more productive if I single out the problem ammo ahead of time. It seems that just a small movement of the firing pin blocker will keep it from firing and that appears to be what my daughter is doing. She is just learning and I believe she bumps that blocker switch. She also has the limp wrist problem, which I've read somewhere that can also lead to failure to eject. As far as failure to eject, there are a couple of ammo types that didn't eject every shot. It came with 2 recoil springs but so far I've not changed it. I like it, very accurate and my daughter can score well using it with the iron sights. I added a laser sight and she got even better. If I can figure out how to save her wrist from fading fast, she will be a very good shooter. Any suggestions are welcome.

Now looking at notes on the ammo used, I fired 5 of each type. No cleaning took place during firing which might have helped some that didn't cycle but cleaning 22 shouldn't be needed, least I don't think so. I didn't think to keep track of those that left more powder residue.

Problems from
    CCI standard velocity 40gn RN, 2 of 5 cycled the bolt, 1070fps
    Federal auto match 40g RN 2 of 5 cycled, 1200fps
    Remington 22 Target black tip RN, 2 hung on the feed ramp, 1150fps
    Federal Copper plated 36g HP, not one fed or fired, total bust..1260fps
    Winchester Copper plated, 36g HP, only 1 cycled bolt, another bust...1280fps
    Winchester Super speed HP copper plated 37g, 2 failed to extract.. 1330fps

No problems using
    CCI Stinger 32g Varmint 1640fps
    Remington 22 Golden Bullet, 36g Plated HP, 1280fps
    CCI Copper Plated RN, 40g, 1200fps
    Remington Sub Sonic Black tip HP, 1050fps
    Blazer black RN, 40g, no velocity listed
    Remington Thunderbolt, black tip RN, 40g 1255fps
    CCI Mini Mag CP RN, 1235fps

A wide range of velocities worked. RN or HP worked. Black tip or plated worked. I did notice a couple of rounds did not fire for my daughter and rotating the round for a new strike area did work (not sure but I believe the CCI mini mag). Next time I will change that spring and shoot the same types just to find out.

Boolit Grand Master

How old is your daughter? There are various appliances to exercise the hand and wrist but if she is too young you do not want to introduce them. Save these for the teenage and older years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

I bought one new when they first came out. Jammed with any ammo or either of the two springs that came with it - mine was threaded for a suppressor.
    Just read an article in a magazine that said the first ones had a match chamber that was the cause of a lot of problems. SIG apparently said you can return it for remediation.
    Mine was sold long ago

Boolit Master

I had one and throughly enjoyed it. As mentioned it won't shoot all ammo and the owners manual clearly states so. New it comes with two separate recoil springs, one for normal velocity and the other for high velocity. If someone just grabs the gun and shoves any ammo into it they will be frustrated but if you follow the owners manual it is a great shooter. I ended up selling mine to a friend for him to teach his young son how to shoot.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    Hey thanks to everybody that wrote in with info on this pistol I appreciate the input cuz I never saw or shot one of these until yesterday but anytime someone wants to trade guns or parts for what I have in stock unless its a real *** I am all ears thanks again.

Boolit Buddy
    Love mine. I run with minimags

"Moderator Emeritus"

I had one. Would run with CCI Mini-Mags and Remington golden bullets, it gagged on everything else. I sold it and don't miss it at all.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master
    Not sure what it is about 22lr pistols. Some can seem to run on anything, and others are very selective about ammo. My 22/45 dont think I have ever found an ammo it wouldn't feed and fire. Some of the CCI quiet wouldn't cycle it but something you expect with ammo like that. A friend has a SIG, he said his only marginally worked after being sent back to SIG for whatever repairs they do. Its still really picky about ammo. I just couldn't see paying extra for a gun that only really liked a few brands of ammo. SIG recommends CCI mini mags, unfortunately, its been a long time since you could readily even buy any. Where my cheaper Ruger will shoot pretty much whatever is on the shelf.