Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Hand Press vs. Classic Loader

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by batjka View Post
    I need to start handloading for my 303 Lee Metford rifle.
    I live in an apartment. The space is scarce. I have no bench.

I was considering either getting a Lee hand press with deluxe 303 dies and a crimper die or just getting a Lee Classic Loader in 303 British. I'm only planning to neck size the cases as this is my only rifle in 303 British.

What would you experienced people recommend in my case?
    Batjka,

Given those two choices, I would have to go with the hand press. I have both and at the bench I use the classic (for some cartridges), in the living room I use the hand press. Both are useable at the range, but I actually use the full press in the my loading shop most all of the time.

http://www.factorysales.com/ is one of the many Lee dealers and offers all of the Lee products at about 60 to 75% of the Lee Precision prices - same warranty etc.

I believe Lyman sells a modern hand press which can be used exactly as the Lee hand press, but also has a slotted flange that can be bolted to a bench or other stable platform. More expensive but a lot more flexible!

Vic
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by batjka View Post
    I need to start handloading for my 303 Lee Metford rifle.
    I live in an apartment. The space is scarce. I have no bench.

I was considering either getting a Lee hand press with deluxe 303 dies and a crimper die or just getting a Lee Classic Loader in 303 British. I'm only planning to neck size the cases as this is my only rifle in 303 British.

I also most probably have to hide this reloading thing from my wife.

What would you experienced people recommend in my case?
    Hand press .

Wyr
    God bless

Boolit Master
    I started out with the "classic loader" but soon found I needed more than just neck sizing. Then you will need to trim cases and measuring tools and powder dippers & a scale and on & on. I personally don't believe you can get very far using the hand loader tool as it doesn't take into account stretching cases etc.

As far as hiding from the wife...forget it...like the song says.."Ain't no way to hide those lyin' eyes." My wife found the receipt to my .444 marlin under the seat of my old Datsun when she was cleaning it out.

Boolit Master
    Simple: If you shoot less than a 20-round box of shells every year or two, get the Classic Loader. If you like to shoot a couple of boxes a year and are even remotely attracted to reloading, get the hand press and dies. You'll be glad you did.
    lathesmith

Boolit Mold
    Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the advise. I went ahead and bought the Hand Press and dies and a bunch of other reloading stuff. As far as the wife, I decided to load at work after hours. This way I keep it safely away from the house and everyone is happy.
    I hope to load my first rounds this week and maybe give then a try next weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12