Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Reloading psa

Reloading psa

Yesterday me and a buddy were in my garage doing some reloading. He asked me to look up a jhp load. I picked up my Lee manual and found one, under the 230 grain lead heading. He looked and verified it. He loaded one, and then I realized our dumb mistake. I know everyone here KNOWS to be safe, but in my line of work, when we screw up we tell everyone. I believe it helps keep people on thier toes. Just a reminder, double, and triple check your data!!!!
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master

So what was the mistake?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

????? Wrong powder ?????

JHP vs lead.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not a huge mistake, but even small ones matter. I know its not an interesting story, just a heads up stay on your toes.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Buddy
    The mistake was asking Silverado to look up the loading data! Being a secretary is women's work.

Boolit Grand Master

I frequently use jacketed load data with my cast in all handgun calibers up to and including 454. The cast will generate a bit LESS pressure and a bit more velocity than the jacketed because it will engrave and pass through the bore with less resistance. I don't see it as a mistake, certainly not something that should have been dangerous in any way.

Of course it always pays to be vigilant but this was pretty low on the dangerous scale.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    So the mistake was using lead data for jacketed without knowing. I would have not problems using a lead bullet starting load for a jacketed bullet of similar weight. It would be a conscious decision. Test it across a chronograph and go from there.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I think his point was just a heads up....be careful!! His mistake went the right way.....probably safe. Not all mistakes go that way!

Measure twice....load once!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the lesson here is constant vigilance. His mistake was a safe one but what if he had taken Ruger only data for a replica Colt? Easy to do and could make a very nasty Kaboom!

Kaboom=bad. I keep freakish notes...and my wife thinks I'm insane with how many times I'll check my references before I start loading. Even the stuff I load ALL THE TIME. I could quote you most of my recipes but I still double check, every time.....

Boolit Grand Master

What cbrick said.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Next time concentrate!