RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Can't make a decision" rant

"Can't make a decision" rant

This is getting confusing and frustrating.
    Another friggin' option to confuse me further..
    'Bout a month ago I deicded I needed a Sharps..
    Which one ? Sporting ? silhouette ? AHA ! A 3 band Berdan/infantry.. that one !
    Waitaminit.. Them Hi walls look gooood!
    OOH .. '85 Hi wall pistol grip, double set trigger, AND a 6x Malcolm scope.. that's it !
    38/55 or 40/65 ??
    But..That Sharps infantry comes in a "sniper" version w/DST ...Hmmm!
    How about a Sharps sniper with a 6x Malcolm..?? COOOOL..
    Great, I got it narrowed to a Sharps sniper or a Hi wall..with a Malcolm scope.
    45/70 Sharps or a 38/55 Hi wall.. or Maybe a 40/65 ... I'll decide later..
    Did a google search for single shot rifles..
    WTH is a Meecham ??
    Ballard ?? whatzat ??
    Hepburn ?? Wuzunt she an actress ?? She into guns?? Mebbe ! ( Autry owned radio an'TV stations..)
    WOW !! Beautiful guns... (Holy $&!+ !!! Lookit dem prices dere Ole..!!)
    Mebbe that H&R Buffalo Classic ain't THAT dorky lookin'.. ($319 at SW 2 wks ago)
    Nah.. I'm a big spender !! (Back to the Sharps.... or maybe the Hi wall..)
    Hmm..Stevens ?? They were cheap .22's when I wuz a boy.. whut's a 44 & a half ?? mebbe cheaper than a Hi wall ?
    Whoa !! Hey Ole, lookit dese dollar signs, ..Hepbun buy out Stevens or whut ??? Yumpin' yiminy !!
    OK.. Sharps or Hi wall..
    Gotta make up my mind soon.. otta have my gun money in a couple weeks...38/55 ? 40/65 ? ...45/70 ??
    38/55 .. seen some new brass at the gun shop last Sat..HMMM
    But I can make 40/65 from 45/70 brass...45/70's kinda cheap, and available... Hmmm.
    Damn .. gonna have to make a decision soon..
    OOPs .. Just come across a custom REM rolling block in 40/65 ..That's neat.! Not a bad price..Hmmm....
    That'd be way cool with that Malcolm scope..
    Basically I'm getting a Malcolm scope, but can't decide what gun to put under it...
    Dammit.. now I got a headache...

Razor

Very well put! I think there are a lot of us who feel your pain.

Boolit Master

I've been looking at almost all those,too. Can't get my mind off Ballard and Hi Wall!Maybe a loan on the farm and get both! Gunaholic, the disease where NEED is irrevelant!

Boolit Master
    Anxiety.......... if you think it's bad now, wait till you get the rifle....
    How's the old potato chip commercial go..........BET, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE............LOL

Just sold 2 rifles, thinking I want to order that Meecham, but kids and unexpected expenses ate up the money. I'll drool a while longer.

Jon

Col 2:13-17

With the Sharps I have decided that shopping for one is, all by itself, a lot of fun. I think I will just perpetually shop for one without ever actually buying one. If I bought one the fun of shopping for one would be over.

I handled one once. Man them things are heavy. And you can lay in a whole pile of primers, powder and brass for that kind of money...

In the meantime, I have over the years managed to pick up a Low Wall (USRAC/Miroku) in 22lr and a High Wall (Uberti) in 38-55. Those have met my needs as far as going out and shooting something, and together they cost me a whole lot less than a Sharps would have.

Maybe someday when the kids are out of the house...

-ktw

Boolit Buddy

I guess that's why I have 22 single shots and 15 lever actions. I have a hard time trying to decide on just one make and just one caliber. However, 50-90 and 1874 Sharps, what ever flavor, will get any job done. FWIW moodyholler
    WTB single shots.

Yep, I think we've all been through this struggle.
    I couldn't part with the money it takes to get a Shiloh, so I order a Pedersoli Sharps 45-70...that sucker cant shoot!!!!!!
    One of these days I'll have enough saved for a FANCY SHILOH, but until then I'll stick with what I got.
    Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

USAF AMMO Retired!

Boolit Master

Look Some More

You might want to do some research on scopes. The less expensive ones aren't as durable as the Montana Vintage Arms or RHO products. You'd hate to spend the money on something that self destructed when you started shooting the gun halfway serious. I have my gun set up with MVA bases so I can add the scope later.

While I have a SHILOH SHARPS, there isn't anything wrong with the higher end imports. Cosmetics are a part of the difference and some d--- fine shooting has been done with any brand. (I ordered mine just before my 55th birthday AND after my first round through the cardiac unit for blockages!) If you think Shiloh is expensive, take a look at AXTELL or the C. Sharps Boss guns!

OH... The PAIN !!!..
    You guys AIN'T a whole lot of help here..
    NO one has solved my dilema for me..
    To wit:
    " git the Hi Wall in 40/65 " or " put the Sharps Berdan under that Malcolm 6x "
    You all are just aggravating the situation...
    Maybe a little background here would help;
    I'm 60, married 38 years..
    I ain't real good at making my own decisions...(here, eat this.....or..NO, here, wear this shirt.....)
    Got it narrowed down to Sharps, Hi Wall or Hepburn...
    I must say tho, I do like the idea of "git one of each"
    Still got to decide which is the first one tho..
    I checked AXTELL, DSA and several others' prices.. Hoy Vay !!
    I wasn't aware that there was more than one manufacturer of Malcolm scopes.. Leatherwood.(.More searchin')
    Nothing would set me off more, than having a $400 scope come apart from recoil...
    Thanks for that reminder.
    I REALLY like them Hepburns..Mebbe after I win the lottery..
    I think it's probably gonna be Uberti Hi Wall, pistol grip, double set trigger, 30" Oct. bbl, 38/55...
    WAIT.. the Sharps...

Razor

P.S. In case you fellers ain't too sure about my attitudes..
    I enjoy a goodly amount of sarcasm, and humor...
    I ain't terribly impressed with my own importance...
    and quite often will play the Devils' advocate..( say 'yes' just 'cause you said 'no'..)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I ain't real good at making my own decisions...(here, eat this.....or..NO, here, wear this shirt.....)
    Show your wife the pictures and the prices. Let her decide.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    Show your wife the pictures and the prices. Let her decide.
    HA! Last time I tried that she picked out a dishwasher.
    And it doesn't shoot worth a damn.......!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    HA! Last time I tried that she picked out a dishwasher.
    And it doesn't shoot worth a damn.......!
    You probably ain't loadin' it right................

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We aren't here to help. We are here to enable.

;o)
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

So I have been considering the Malcom scope for my RB in 45-70. Has anybody used one? Good, bad indiferent?
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    I tried the Leatherwood Malcom (bought it thru Cimarron). And I like it but it needs a little work.
    Today I'm lapping the inside of the rear tube mount. The surface was very rough and didn't have enough contact with the tube to hold it still, even after tightening the screws as much as I dared without stripping them. I'm also adding a copper shim.
    RHO and MVA make a higher-end version. These must certainly be better-made but will cost near $1k.
    It's a 6X scope and it's clear enough for 200 yards. I've heard some negative comments about this model but I still think it has potential if the user has a little skill and patience.

Boolit Buddy
    Razor, I just went through the same process. I started out wanting a .45-90 High Wall (there's a beauty on GA), then Sharps 74 & 75, etc. until someone talked me out of the .45-90 cause I want to use smokeless. Well, then I started looking at .45-70, .40-70, etc. until my decision was made for me.....a guy over on the ASSRA forum put me on to someone on the BPCR forum who had a Uberti .38-55 high wall with a new Leatherwood Malcolm scope plus a loose Browning Soule-type tang/hooded front with sprit level. I hadn't really considered .38-55, but I couldn't pass this deal up. I should have it tomorrow. I can't wait to get into this .38-55 thing!

I wanted a scope because I'm an old fart with bifocals...
    Iron sights are a fuzzy notch that I kinda line up with the fuzzy post and somewhat center them on the fuzzy round thing (target?)...(Gawd.. I hope it's the targit an not the neighbors Holstein...)
    I really like the Malcolm look, but don't need the frustration of a marginal scope...
    That and I can't justify $1k for a scope...OK.. so I'm cheap !!

Zipdog... thought about changing your handle to "Luckydog "???
    I joined ASSRA last night and noticed your score on the Hi wall....
    I'd have been all over it if'n you hadn't beat me to it....
    You WILL post some range results later...right ???

I just traded one of my Swede M96's for an 1863 .54 Sharps today..
    So, it looks like I'm gonna go for the Hi wall in 38/55...

Razor

Boolit Master
    Razor: Ya just described me! Without a scope i have discovered that my Asperly Aimless Ultra Improved which has a custom barrel chambered to the Begote 357/218 Bee, semi improved shoots more accurately than I can hold. What i have discovered is that you can forget all the other crap and just purchase a Meacham or CH Sharps Hi-Wall in 30-40 Krag and ya have the best of both worlds. Right now my best cast boolit shooter is a #3 Ruger in 30-40. I can load 32 S&W levels for small game, Boolits for large game or J-Bullits at 30-06 levels for long range or game such as the big bears. It is pretty damned close to the perfect one rifle concept for North America. Ya might say the almost perfect Subsistance Rifle and I intend to write an article about it soon. My two bitts for what it is worth. Neil

Boolit Buddy

One rifle concept noooooooo! One rifle in each caliber ---yes -yes-yes
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

the upper left hand corner ie Washington state
    Razor Have you looked at these? http://www.peabodyrifles.com/

Just tryin to help.

Exblaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast