Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester vs. Marlin . . 30/30 vs. 32 Spl. . . . some lever gun help?

I'm a 444 Marlin guy. When faced with a similar decision I chose the Win 94 in 32 Special. be aware that the Win 94 may need drilling and tapping for a receiver sight. If original that will affect value. The prices you quote are excellent. Is the Ranger an Angle Eject? If scoping the Marlin or AE Winchesters are needed. I would pick the Marlin for scoping. I've heard complaints about Rangers. Mic Mc Pherson refuses to work on them I think. They probably have the rebounding hammer system universally disliked it seems.

I agree with the others that the preferred rifle for shooting cast boolits is the Winchester (over the Marlin). Either the 30/30 or the 32 special would be excellent choices. I am judging my preference based upon the assumption that the Marlin has the micro groove rifling, and has the reputation that it may not be effective with cast boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

The Winchester rifle with 24 or 26" barrel in 32 SPL with it's 16" twist is the best of the two cartridges and rifles for cast bullet shooting to the cartridges full potential. Held down to 1800 - 1900 fps there's not really much difference between the cartridges with cast bullets or the rifles. Pushing 150 - 180 gr cast bullets upwards of 2200 - 2500 fps (yes you can do that while keeping under the SAAMI pressure MAP) is where the 32 SPL comes into its own.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
    I'm a 444 Marlin guy. When faced with a similar decision I chose the Win 94 in 32 Special. be aware that the Win 94 may need drilling and tapping for a receiver sight. If original that will affect value. The prices you quote are excellent. Is the Ranger an Angle Eject? If scoping the Marlin or AE Winchesters are needed. I would pick the Marlin for scoping. I've heard complaints about Rangers. Mic Mc Pherson refuses to work on them I think. They probably have the rebounding hammer system universally disliked it seems.
    I used to have a Marlin 336 in 32 Win Spec. While it wasn't a target rifle, it had good HV hunting accuracy (2" @ 100). The 32 Win Spec, Marlin's advertized "Ballard" type rifling a 6 groove style.

Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbilly View Post
    I agree with the others that the preferred rifle for shooting cast boolits is the Winchester (over the Marlin). Either the 30/30 or the 32 special would be excellent choices. I am judging my preference based upon the assumption that the Marlin has the micro groove rifling, and has the reputation that it may not be effective with cast boolits.
    My late 1950's microgroove Marlin 32 Win Spl is as accurate as my M94. The "assumption" about micro groove and cast has been proven incorrect yet still persists.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like you have a couple sentimental reasons to buy a Winchester in 32 special. I'd like one myself as it's the gun I used the very first time I ever deer hunted.

That said, these days, I'm a Marlin junkie. I love the rugged, simple design, solid top, side eject and so on. If I were you, I'd try looking at some of the older Marlins from the early 50's. The "SC" (sporting carbine, 20" barrel) and "A" models ("Rifle" model, 24" barrel) are especially desireable, look good and are known for excellent accuracy. If you stumble across a 336A or 336SC with nice wood and a checkered stock for a reasonable price, jump on it as it's likely a "deluxe" model. They both have 2/3 length magazine tubes and fore end caps instead of full length tubes and barrel bands. **Do not confuse the older 24" barrel "A" model with the current "A" model that has cheap birch stocks and full length mag tube.** The "RC" (regular carbine) is the 20" barreled model everyone thinks of when they think Marlin lever gun and has full length tube and barrel bands. The older guns have a fat fore end referred to as a "perch belly" and while it's not as slim and trim as a Winchester, it does feel good in your hands.

The older guns also have ballard rifling and what is called a "waffle top" receiver which is just a bunch of wavy lines similar to a shotgun rib in the receiver top. This is a desirable feature but most people into collecting don't want them drilled and tapped. If you find one that is D&T, it should reflect in the price but is not a deal breaker. It just means that you can get a good deal on a shooter deer rifle for a few $ less and you can even put a scope on it if you'd like.

As already mentioned, you CAN shoot cast out of microgroove Marlins just fine. The only thing about it (in my opinion) is that while it can be done with great results, it takes just a smidgen more tinkering than a standard ballard rifled gun to get the good results. Not a big deal.

Now, if you really want some fun with a lever gun, get yourself a standard Marlin 1895 with ballard rifling in 45-70, some dies and a couple boolit molds from 148 gr collar buttons up to 500 ish grain bunker busters, a bottle of Unique and go play... Or... some Goex FF, some card wads, lube etc and play the BP tune.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12