Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stereotypes at the Range

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    What; no one mentioned the alluring "Range Bimbo"

There Happy now?

Reality

or

or for the fortunate few
    Last edited by Artful; 09-27-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Artful I think I could put up with that last stereotype. Color coordinated camo pants gun AND body armor. Unfortunately I think she must represent the rarest breed of all since I doubt many of us have seen her in the wild. I know I haven't.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

You need to get to some of the 3 gun competitions - one gal down in Tucson is coordinated all in RED including her AR.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    At the club that I used to belong to, I worked as one of the line safety monitors on either the rifle or pistol range, watching the shooters in detail while the range master ran things in general. I often accused the range master of having a special phone number where he could order up a six pack of idiots if he felt that I hadn't had a hard enough day.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    You need to get to some of the 3 gun competitions - one gal down in Tucson is coordinated all in RED including her AR.
    Doesn't sound like bimbo to me , I'm thinking range hottie.

Boolit Master
    Nobody has mentioned "The Firing Line Mover" or "The Target Mover."

We have an honor system member/guest only range complex. One is for pistol and rimfire rifle: 15, 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. I will be in the midst of my usual struggle with offhand, and will hear a polite "A-Hem!" from behind and to my left or right. The interlocutor will tell me either that he is a security guard and "needs to practice now," or that his wife "wants to shoot." I say, sure, why not, that is what the Range is about, and try to reassemble my distracted concentration.

"No," the guy will say, "The targets are too far away for (practice/wife); we(I) need to get closer." They then proceed to walk to within five feet of the 25-yard gong silhouettes and start whaling away. Naturally, my practice is over for the day. I try to tell them the firing line is back here, and they look at me like I just told them there is no such thing as Santa Claus.

Some don't even bother telling me. They'll just walk out there, out of my peripheral vision so I get a scare when I happen to look over there. Naturally, I would be lawsuit bait if one of these combat handgunners got shot, and I imagine the range would be liable if one of their bullet fragments bounced back and hit them.

The guys take a stance with the front foot way forward with knee bent, and the rear leg stretched behind, head forward with pistol in both hands, arms stretched as far forward as possible, like they're trying to push a building over. The wife stands with feet almost touching, facing direct to the target, arms bent vertical at elbows like she's praying and a look on her face that is the very picture of wishing she was somewhere else. I wish they were somewhere else too. Sometimes they will draw "the official firing line" in the dirt and put pebbles along it so everybody can see how they've improved things. Hardly necessary, given the piles of .40 brass they leave in the dirt.

A variant of this is the family that goes to the 600 yard range, sets a cardboard box with a target on it ten feet ahead of the firing line and proceeds to ricochet bullets all over the landscape. When I point to the signs that say shooters must fire on targets set against the berms and backstops, they shrug in incomprehension.

I call the guy who owns the range, and then he has to drive out and throw them off. But there seems to be an endless supply of these cretins.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Nobody has mentioned "The Firing Line Mover" or "The Target Mover."
    This reminded me about one of my favorites. All the ranges I belong to are set up for stationary firing only. There are lots of moveable targets so you can practice at different ranges from the same line. When you're the only one there it's okay to set the targets up so you can practice firing while moving. It is never okay to practice your "tactical roll" w/ a firearm in your hand. It's really not allowed when other people are on the range. Two errant shots heading from the range to the firing line, hitting a truck in the parking lot lead to an arrest that day. I haven't seen "tactical roll" of his buddies, there were others like him, since.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Hilarious

MOM
    That. Was. Awesome.

Boolit Master
    OMG! I think I'm 'the Codger'. 'Cept, sometimes I shoot semi's.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    I'm awfully anxious to get moved onto some acreage where I can have my own range. Right now, my closest range is 35 to 40 minutes away and 2 of the last half dozen times I went, during cease fire some moron would walk up to his shooting bench and start fiddling with his rifle.

One of the worst ways to die that I can think of, by an act of shear stupidity committed by some idiot who should have been drowned at birth.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

After reading the last 4 pages of "information", I find myself awful glad that I neither use a range NOR belong to a club. I am just wondering about all the negative comments on what people wear to a range? Different strokes for different folks. As long as said people are operating in a safe matter, who cares what they are wearing?

There is my yearly contribution of comments, 2 cents worth (inflation, use to be a cent worth).

All I ever watch is muzzles.

Well, there was this one time...

Quote Originally Posted by Merc41 View Post
    After reading the last 4 pages of "information", I find myself awful glad that I neither use a range NOR belong to a club. I am just wondering about all the negative comments on what people wear to a range? Different strokes for different folks. As long as said people are operating in a safe matter, who cares what they are wearing?

There is my yearly contribution of comments, 2 cents worth (inflation, use to be a cent worth).
    I dont think the intent was to necessarily put down ones' attire, rather it does seem to to a commonality with a large portion of the induviduals described. I thought it was funny, even the mix of a few categories I have caught myself in.

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234