Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enfield, Krag, K98, or ??? What to buy next?

Boolit Buddy

Enfield, Krag, K98, or ??? What to buy next?

I'm loving some of these old military rifles, and am starting to do some research on what is available out there. I've got a Mosin 91/30 (just one so far, but more are likely in my future).
    However, I want to start expanding my collection, and am not sure where is the next best place to start. For the molds I already have, the Enfield would likely use the same bullet as my Mosin, as would the Krag (.314 diameter dropping 180 grains). I'm not sure about something like a K98, though, and I need to research the caliber some yet.
    Anyone have any caveats, or even other suggestions for the C&R type rifles?
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

I was just at the range today shooting an SMLE (circa 1942-Lithgow), a BYF 43 Kar 98 Mauser and a Swiss K31 circa 1942. I really couldn't tell you which one was more fun as they are all more fun than a barrel of monkey when fed good ammo.

I think that your choice would be best based on which rifle is in the best condition and has the best bore. That should be some insurance towards getting one that shoots well.

Oh yeah, a good Krag or Mosin can be equally as much fun and the long sight radius on the rifle versions is quite an aid for aging eyes. The Krag rifles have a windage adjustable sight (all the numerous versions of its rear sight) which can be very helpful getting the rifle zeroed. The other rifles on your list usually require some front sight drifting to zero for deflection.

A good shootable Krag will probably be the hardest on your list to find. A good Yugo Model 48 Mauser with excellent bore and hardware will probably be the easiest to find although Lee Enfields are still found in good numbers.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 09-23-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

There is no bad choice. Once started you will find that you will always need one more. I would also suggest a Finnish model 39 if you really want to see what a Mosin will do. Enjoy what ever you get.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Another nagant and with the money you save you can buy more molds, powder, primers lube dies ect. You can get a Finn. A Chinese 53 a hex receiver made by Remington. I guess I'm just parshal to the breed I do love my Mauser's as well.

Boolit Grand Master

I would take one of my 1903a3s as first, one of my 1891 Argentine Mausers, then a 93 Mauser, MN 91/30, Krag, 98 Mauser, then one of my Rolling Blocks.

Banned
    All good choices but I bet a good K98 would be the easiest to find. Good Krag's are hard to find and generally expensive.
    My first center-fire rifle was an Enfield and it taught me a lot. Finding one now with a good barrel can be a challenge all of itself.
    I had a 1903 Springfield (not an A3) that was a great rifle but I saw something else that I wanted more and traded it. Wish I had that one back.
    There are some great old rifles out there and the market for un-molested old bolts actions seems to be heating up a bit. In a way I think that is a good thing. As the prices go up there will be more of these great old guns preserved in original condition. There's nothing wrong with sporterized rifles when it is done correctly but I like seeing some originals that aren't in museums.

If you don't have a K31 yet, they're a good option. No doubt the most accurate milsurp I have.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

whatever trips your trigger. ive got half dozen mausers, 5 mosins(all different), 1917, P14, couple enfields, M1 carbine, M1 garand, etc......... if you only have mosins, i might recommend a swedish mauser to you. in good shape they are very well made, and many consider them the most accurate bolt action milsurp rifle made.

If I were you, and I am not, and had a yen for mil-surps, I would build a collection of US Military rifles. Yes, they are expensive and the price just keeps going up. They will never cost less than they do now, and will only grow in value if cared for. There is a much stronger demand for US military rifles than those of other countries. You will also have a piece of American history.

The 1903A3 would be a place to start, followed by the Model 1917, 1903, Krag and Garand in no particular order. They are all 30 caliber and two or three molds will do for them all.

That is what I would do, were I you, which as we know, I am not.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    well you are grtting in to it about 15 years too late.

but don't set your mind on any one model. just keep an eye out for anything that pops up. buy books and read then you will know what you are looking at. public auctions are a good place to find some now. because the old guys that bought them years ago are dieing off now.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    well you are grtting in to it about 15 years too late.

but don't set your mind on any one model. just keep an eye out for anything that pops up. buy books and read then you will know what you are looking at. public auctions are a good place to find some now. because the old guys that bought them years ago are dieing off now.
    Price is all relevant. In the period 1961 to 1963 I bought a number of mil-surps rifles which were.

03A3 - $20.00 from the DCM
    US 1917 - $25.00
    SMLE - $20.00
    1903 Springfield - $35.00
    Krag rifle - $25.00

At the same time I bought a new Winchester 70 for $102.00.

You can compare this with todays numbers for a Winchester 70 and the same mil-surps to get an idea of how the prices have risen on each. I don't think it is ever to late to buy a quality firearm.

In 2003, I paid $550.00 for a primo Garand and was glad to get it for that price. In 2012 I bought a good Remington 1917 for $500.00 and was also glad to get it for that price. Sold today I could get a $200.00 profit on the 1917 and a $500.00 profit on the Garand. Pay what your must today, because next year they will be worth more.

I have been buying and selling guns for over 50 years and have never sold or traded off a gun for less than I had in it. I always got more, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot.

When this old guy dies, there will be allot of high quality vintage firearms for sale, but they will not be cheap so don't wait around like a bunch of buzzards.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    If you're half warm for a Garand, get it now! ODCMP has them but the supply is dwindling. Before it gets to be an "I wish I got.." moment.

All of those mentioned are good, add a Swede mauser if you're thinking of various quality milsurps in something besides 30 cal.

Perma-Banned

Check out the 1917 Enfields. They are great guns and still not crazy priced.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=442081597
    Is that a steal, or is there something seriously wrong here that I just don't see? (as of my posting this, it was still at $100 with no bids)
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmzr View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=442081597
    Is that a steal, or is there something seriously wrong here that I just don't see? (as of my posting this, it was still at $100 with no bids)
    Well for starters, it has been reblued and stock refinished. Swivels added as well as front sight band and sight. But what is keeping people away are those holes in the side of the receiver, one all of the way though. They were not put there by Springfield.

Without the holes and with a good barrel it would be $300.00. With the holes much less. Somebody will buy it and part it out on Ebay. The front band looks to be a carbine band and would bring more than the $100.00 itself.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, those holes are what really caught my eye, but I wasn't sure if that was maybe something that was supposed to be there, or someone rigging something up (or attempting to). I watched it, and the auction simply expired. Not exactly a loss.

Buy now ,,, Avoid "Future Regret."

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Buy now ,,, Avoid "Future Regret."

Randy
    How true - your getting good advise - can't really go wrong collecting Mil-surp's from major world powers -
    First I would check what's available locally - lots of guns get traded in especially after hunting season is over...

Best Bargin's probably thru CMP - this means most for your money - not the cheapest...
    http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

Vendors to watch - that I have found bargins at
    http://www.jgsales.com/
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/
    http://www.impactguns.com/surplus-firearms.aspx

The other thing that I look at is the Bubba's special's - I'm a shooter not a collector
    so if/when I find a gun that's mechanically good but not period/issue correct and the price is accordingly reduced
    it can be a great bargin. One other thing is to think about ammo availability - cheap surplus ammo tends to come and go
    at one point you could buy 8x57mm mauser for $0.05 per round now a days the you have to pay $5, $10, $15 or even $20 a box of 20 cartridges for military surplus ammo. And some is very hard to get -
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Love Life
    Look in pawn shops. Great places to find Milsurp rifles on the cheap.

Was in my LGS just this morning. He had 2 Krags, both 1898s. One sporterized, one uncut. The uncut Krag had a cracked stock, repaired with big screw, $1200. The sporterized one, $1000. Not sure if these guys want to barter, or just keep guns for a long time until someone actually buys them????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast