Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to get the wife??????

Boolit Buddy

What to get the wife??????

Ok, I need good honest opinions here. I am going to get my loving wife a new pistol for Christmas. She has always been a fan of the Bersa 380, I know!, but I want to get her something a lot more reliable and better quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Bersa's and they are good guns, I just want to get her a great gun. She wants to stay around the 380 or 9mm cartridge, but after all, I'm putting this in her hands for protection so it needs to be top quality. She is an experienced shooter so thats not a big deal. She does have good gun control and prefers auto pistols. I don't want her to have to deal with any single actions, for safety reasons, and ssh don't like a laser. We went looking today and she has found a Glock 42 and is quiet excited about it. So with that said, I'm not a big Glock fan and could use some feedback on the 42's. Also if anyone has a particular model to show her, it's hard for me to see past a Springfield or a Ruger. I'm kind of hard headed about this, but it's for me and this one is for her so she has to be the one that says yes to it. I told her not to look at the price just find something she likes. I just need some opinions here, what would you give your wives?
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Master

Take her to the range that rents firearms & let her shoot em .
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    If for CCW the revised striker fired Ruger LC9 should be considered. Very smooth and light trigger. If it was around before I bought a XDs 9mm I would have proably gone in that direction. Might still go that way.

Can't say enough good about the Lc9s. Mrs. Thumbcocker loves hers.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

GP100man + 1

Do not -

Do not -

Do NOT -

buy her a gun she has nor previously approved.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Ill second the test fire idea as some look and seem right but recoil and actual use weed them out. While not a big glock fan I do have a 40 sub compact model here. Look at as many as possible rent and or borrow the contenders if possible and go from there.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it were my wife and she didn't know what she wanted, I would conclude she doesn't shoot enough. That said, I'd never get her a semi for self defense. A semi has too many built in reasons to fail. Empty chamber, mag drop from mishandling, ?presence? of a safety, function compromised by body position / clothing / limp wristing, failure to go into battery, and stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. For a skilled shooter, semi's can be great. I'd go for a nice .38 revolver - stainless - S&W ? - 5 shot. Just my two cents. I've seen to many mishandle semi's to be comfortable seeing my loved one rely on one for protection.

I agree with let her pick and choose the gun she will shoot...I made that mistake many years ago with my then Wife...decided to "build her a deer rifle"..built her an 03A3 06 that was Ackley improved...it also weighed about 6# with the scope..and the cut down barrel It kicked harder than any rifle I've ever owned...I was so proud the day I handed it to her with a ribbon tied on it...and she was equally proud after firing 2 rounds out of it..to hand it back and cancel her plans to go hunting with us...she accused me of sabotaging her trip.

On the 380 Bersa..I had one of the "duotone" ones in .380...nice little pistol until it began to swallow disconnect springs which was fairly common when I had mine...leaving you with a club that would not shoot when the spring let go...I dumped it quickly in favor of a much more reliable smaller pistol...I'm not a Bersa fan because getting it fixed (I was not the original owner) was pricey and inconvenient. Just my 2 cents on Bersas

Boolit Master

I got wifey a Taurus PT1911 for christmas several years ago. She is 5'4" and from Los Angeles. Today, she is very comfortable with the pistol. 200gn hollow point, or 230gn loads either way it makes her happy. She has learned a lot from that pistol. She goes to the range and comes home with more spent cases than she brought loads. She is now a good shot.
    A large frame, good shooting pistol. Looks good, works well, and you can get spare parts!
    My suggestion.

Boolit Master
    My brother in law bought his wife a g-42 and she loves it. Recoil is nil and she sure can shoot it well. Went thru a lot of ammo and not one bobble. He bought her a kimber solo first and she chose the glock. Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Master
    I got sweetie the lc9, and she HATES it. She is a good shot, and due to the long trigger pull, she can't even hit the barn at about 20 yds. That kind of failure to a competent deer and turkey hunter did not go well. I can't find the door to this dog house.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

First choice is the same as one I carry a Colt Mustang second is a 42. A friend has 42 and it shoots about as well as my colt but as I said my first choice is the colt. I just wish my bride would carry because i'd buy her one in a heartbeat!
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

In Remembrance
    I shoot the Colt Gov 380 in polished stainless. Nicely balanced, flawless function, and very accurate. Only drawback is it not being double action. Iron Whittler

Last month I got my wife a very good used S&W model 10-8 in 38 Special that I found on Gunbroker. It is a fun and accurate revolver that she enjoys shooting.

My better half is quite scary with the Walther PK380 I got for her.... It's very small framed, but so is she...so it's a good fit. I find it shoots VERY well.....albeit nearly a pocket gun for a bigger framed person. It's a nice carry piece, IMHO....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

In Remembrance

+1 on a S&W M&P Shield. My wife loves hers and shootrs it very well.

Give her a gift certificate to your LGS for the value of a handgun of HER choice and let her do the shopping and ask the questions (assuming [ha] you have a good LGS.
    Stu

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    GP100man + 1

Do not -

Do not -

Do NOT -

buy her a gun she has nor previously approved.
    Smart man here.....Get her approval on the thing first, unless your buying it for you

Boolit Grand Master

Go rent every pistol you can and let her decide which one she wants. I will tell you to make sure a Walther PPS is one that you test. It's what we both carry. It's overlooked for some reason.

Try before you buy. Also consider getting her a defensive ccw class. I took one at sig sauer and it teaches you alot about what firearm fits how you carry and how you handle under pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast