RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Anyone have problems with a leatherwood 2-7x scout scope holding zero?

Boolit Bub

Anyone have problems with a leatherwood 2-7x scout scope holding zero?

I got a brand new Leatherwood Hilux 2-7x scout scope from Optics Planet to put on my JM Marlin 1895GS. I previously had a Weaver V3 1-3x mounted in a Leupold dual dovetail mount. I was really happy with that setup but got smacked in the face by the scope a couple times from not having the gun tight to my shoulder, so I decided to go with a scout setup. So I got the Leatherwood 2-7x scout scope, and an XS Lever Rail with Warne Maxima steel rings for the 1895. Makes an awesome setup, however my groups are not what they were with the Weaver V3. Same bench, same batch of ammo, the V3 was doing about 1.5-2" at 160-175yds. With the Leatherwood am getting atleast 3" at only 100yds, didn't even try farther. As for the ammo, they were handloads with a 300gr RNFP GC over 45gr of IMR4198 clocking at 1950 fps. A pretty stout load. The whole batch was loaded about this time last year for hunting season(took 2 whitetails). The groups seem to be perfectly random, no stringing. I checked over the mounts and cant find anything loose, and when I mounted it I locktited everything and didn't shoot the gun for a couple days to let it cure. I was really hoping just to find a loose mount and solve the problem, as I really like the Leatherwood scope itself. Beautiful glass, very nice fit & finish, lightweight and nice positive clicks on the turrets. I was really impressed for the $105 shipped I payed from OP. One thing I didn't like though, I almost had to bottom the elevation turret out to get on the paper, was shooting very low from the get go. Maybe this is having some effect on the groups?

So has anyone else heard of issues with this scope? Or any ideas why my groups opened up so much? One of the whitetails I took last year was a single head shot at 160yds that I would never had taken if I were getting groups like this...
    Last edited by alping45; 09-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.

May Liberty Increase!
    I've got a couple of them, but haven't hung one on anything larger than 308. I haven't had any issues with one maintaining zero, but have found the adjustments are not repeatable. If you're sure everything is tight and are still seeing the issue, I'd send it back. I've decided to replace mine on the 308 due to the tracking issue, but plan to put them on lever guns that will be set and forget. I expect them to do fine in that role.

Please report back with what you find.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Master
    Alping, you're changing a couple of variables at the same time. It is quite possible your gun liked that load with the receiver mounted scope, but the Leverail mounted to the receiver and barrel dovetail changed the harmonics. I have the Leverail and XS ghostrings on mine, and on good days I shoot a bit better than 3 inches at 100. Have you tried mounting the Weaxer scope on the rail and checking accuracy before condemning the Leatherwood?
    Last edited by pipehand; 10-03-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: damned autocorrect
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Bub
    Ok I am finally reporting back almost 1 year later, it literally took me this long to shoot the gun again! Deer season is right around the corner, I never ended up taking it out last season due to my mis-trust in the Leatherwood and lack of time to try a different set up.

So Anyway, I finally ditched the Leatherwood and snagged a great deal on an beautiful older Nikon Monarch 2x pistol scope. The amount of eye relief worked out just perfectly with the scope all the way to the front of the XS lever rail. So, shooting off the same bench, with the same loads, my groups are back to sub MOA and 1-2" at 160yds. Clearly the Leatherwood couldn't take the recoil, damn shame though, I really liked the scope otherwise. I am very happy with the Nikon though, the glass is phenomenal.

Here's a couple pics to make up for my absence:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150823_162450_zpslp8fotrl.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	149099
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150823_162435_zps2ysy07zy.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	149100