WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: My target scopes

Boolit Master

My target scopes

Here are my target scopes. They are mix of Lyman Unertl and Tosco. The Tosco is a variable 6-18 power. It has brilliant optics.The one I use most is the little 10x Unertl. The one inch Unertl has two eyepieces, 15 and 24.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I like unertls too and I have the 3/4" 8 power and the 1" 20 power. I also use an old Redfield 3200 in 20 powder that has done yeoman service on a Remington high power match rifle after a factory rebuild at Redfield in the 80s. It looks like a Unertl, but it has internal adjustments. A couple of Weaver T series target scopes from the 70s round out the target scopes in my collection.

Like you, the 10X Unertl gets the most use when mounted on a Model 52A Winchester or a 40X Remington small bore rifle.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I had a Redfield 3200 and really liked it but the owner before me buggered up the mounts so I sold it rather than try to find new mounts.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I used to have a little juniorspot in 10x that went to a beginning BPCR shooter, then my buddy kept begging me for my lyman 20x so he could shoot his Kimber match rifle. All I got left is the redfield 3200 in 24 power and not currently on a rifle. Frank

Boolit Master
    Frank, don't let anyone talk you out of your last scope. They are getting more difficult to buy and of course more expensive. Sleep with it under your bed.

Glen,
    Here are some of my better old scopes.

Top to bottom:

Lyman 25X STS
    Fecker copy in 20X
    Fecker 8X, rear turret out for repair
    Litchert 15X
    Lyman 20X STS on my Borchardt
    Winchester 8X on my Win 69 Dual Sight
    Mossberg 7C Acromatic, 8X
    Another Winchester 8X with Wallensak mounts
    Weaver T25

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Scopes.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	117290

Frank

Boolit Master
    frnkeore, that is a great collection of scopes. I didn't know that the old Winchester scopes were made in 8x. I thought they were only made in 5x. I had one and traded it to a friend before I knew how much they were worth. BTW tell us about your Borchardt.

Boolit Grand Master

I have Unertl's and Litschert's. Never heard of Tosco. Sounds interesting.

The Borchardt has a 15 twist barrel that wasn't marked for the maker but, I bought at a Klamtha Falls gun show, 20 years ago because, it looked very nice inside with very narrow lands. It also has about .0005 chock in the muzzle but, I didn't know that when I bought it.

It's chambered in 33 ELCO Max (ELCO was the name of my machine shop before I retired). A full length 357 Max, tapered and with a .400 long, 33 caliber neck on it. It's always shot breech seated.

It started life as a Military model, I sold the stocks, barrel and sights for what I paid for the rifle in 1986. The butt stock is a CPA Mid range that I bought in 1987. The forearm is floated.

Shot in matches at 200 yards, I've shot back to back 249's in Spokane, WA, .463 five shot group, 1.44 ten shot group both shot in Grants Pass, OR and my small 100 yard group as been .336, shot last year in Modesto, CA. I have only shot it in competition once at 100.

So, needless to say, I like the rifle a lot. Untill 1 1/2 years ago, it had a Douglas 31" #5, Benchrester 45/70 barrel on it. I can't shoot heavy recoil any more because of my shoulder. That barrel is for sale, now.

Frank

PS
    The Winchester 8X scopes, aren't the same as the A5's. They came to be in 1936 or 7 as a 2 1/2X and 5X and then modified to 8X for the introduction of the Mod 75.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing about the scopes and the Borchardt.