MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&w 629

Boolit Grand Master
    I prefer a long barrel for hunting with the 44 mag, I have a 7 1/2" Redhawk, a 7 1/2" SBH Hunter, and an 8 3/8 S&W 29-2. They carry just fine in a shoulder holster--Bianchi X-15 for me--or a chest rig. When I carry a revolver for hunting, I am carrying it for hunting: not CCW, not self defense, not to tack up wanted posters. I find I shoot the longer barrels better at distance--50 yards plus--than I do their shorter brethren.
    Now, for a carry gun, 4 inchers are considerably more handy. If you are looking for protection against big critters, hostile strangers, evil mahdists, and the like, I'd certainly consider one. In fact, I have a 4 inch Taurus that performs that function. But the SBH will do at a hundred what the Taurus does at 25 yards, at least accuracy-wise. I can securely take a 75 yard shot with my Redhawk knowing that it will hit within 4 inches of where I aim it under field conditions (and much better off a nice stable bench with sand bags). YMMV.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    I like the older models. Something about the newer steel that does not appeal to me. Definitely get one with out a lock

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123