RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
PBcastco Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load chart

Boolit Mold
    I have a T/C Hawken .50 with a Green Mountain barrel, rifling pitch 1:28". My favorite deer load is a .350 grs. T/C Maxi-Hunter pre-lubed at the factory over 95 grains of Swiss FFFg and a thin dry felt wad between powder and bullet. I have already killed three deer with it, two Sitka Blacktails in Kodiak and a whitetail here in Alabama all three fell in their tracks. I prefer to shoot deer (both with my ML and with my centerfire rifle) in the forward point of the shoulder blade. The ball breaks the spine and sends bone fragments into the heart/lung area. I never shoot behind the shoulder because many animals will run after this shot placement. I am color blind and can't see red on green. Following a blood trail is very difficult for me, so I like a shot placement that paralyzes and kills immediately. The reason I use FFFg is that I find its ignition more consistent. This gives better accuracy. Swiss BP burns cleaner than many other powders, and avoiding petroleum-based lubricants allows dozens of shots to be fired in a row without having to clean the barrel between shots. I use exclusively T/C black powder solvent No. 13 and T/C Bore Butter as lubricant/rust preventative. I have not used hot, soapy water for the past six years (since I bought the Green Mountain barrel) and my barrel is shiny inside as it was when I bought it--no rust! Sorry about going off-topic a bit.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by scabbo72 View Post
    my pedersoli 10 gauge sxs proof tested for 109 grains of 2f black powder . I fired mine several times with 12 OO buckshot with 130 gr. GOEX black powder. I wouldn't recommend doing it .The shotgun handles it well , but it's a little hard on the shoulder.
    Did you get acceptable patterns with this load?

Herman48, your wasting powder, your 28 inch barrel can not burn all that powder. I bet if you used the Davenport formula, you would find your max burn load, and its way less than what your using.
    Dont worry, a lot of folks waste powder. Im a cheap stake, so I prefer not to.

As far as posting that info as a sticky. The round ball info is bogus. I refuse to think the mods will allow wrong info posted that might hurt someone.

I did not check the rest, nor the cartridge info. I figured if part of it is wrong, why read the rest.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Banned

each gun will tell you what it likes best for a load, ball/bullet, patch, lube, compression, and powder (type, granularity and charge), if we test at least some of these .parameters out. a hunting .50 pb typically needs no more'n 80 grains of 3f, at least for me.

Boolit Master
    hmmmm - I looked at the muzzlelloader data for round ball and it pretty much fits - always used FF for serious loads in 50 and 54 cal and the chrono puts those numbers about right for old style Goex - --- Wano would shoot about 150fps slower for the same charge and I expect Swiss would gain maybe 75fps (200plus better than Wano) I did shoot some real Curtis and Harvey powder way back days - nice clean powder but slow compared to the moosic made goex. This chart is a good start place for newbies and the top loads for round ball are well and truly plenty - once you make 1900fps with a round ball the point of diminishing returns has been reached - lots of smoke and noise and recoil for very little real gain after that.
    Joe

Boolit Buddy
    How about listing the Davenport formula please.
    luvtn

Banned

fwiw, the goex load link has been changed ...

https://goexpowder.com/resources/load-charts/

Boolit Master

I just went to the URL in the original and found it was now dead.
    I am glad someone posted a new link.
    Thanks
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    Hey Lead Fred,
    I just wanted to shout as loud as I can a big AMEN!!! It is a shame that Americans today don't heed the words of the wise men who gave birth to this nation with the sanctions and blessings of God Himself, co-signed by Jesus Christ. I get so tired of people living here calling themselves some hyphenated name. Me, I happen to be of American Indian descent. AMERICAN being the operative word. Those who truly love our country consider themselves Americans first, genealogy second. Thank you for reminding us all of our founders statements. May I use them on occasion as my footer? God bless you, my friend and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12