Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee's ctl.312-160-2R for 303?

Boolit Master

Lee's ctl.312-160-2R for 303?

Thinking about using this for my first 303 cast load. I of course will slug the rifle first to make sure, but was wondering if anyone has used it in a 303 British. If so, how did it work and what speed were you shooting it to? I really look forward to hearing back on this.

Boolit Master

Depending on the throat, you may want a longer/heavier boolit. I have not had very good results with short/light boolits in mine. Check the Robert Bank sticky on Loads for military Rifles.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

My no4 MK2 with new bore shot the 312 155 ,ok when gc'ed thru a 314 Sizer. Maybe 1300 ~ 1500 fps at most before accuracy left and by accuracy I mean 6" groups. But was all over the board when shot as cast. It's probably not going to be very good unless you have a tight bore.]

Boolit Bub
    I tried that boolit in my P14 .303, no success.

Problem is that the groove size on most .303's are way over .311, mine is more like .317-.318. Could not get any cast to shoot well in it, given up now.

Shoots j-words to 1-2 MOA at 100 yards though.

It's worth trying but odds on you will find it a bit undersized. I have found the three oh three likes a longer bullet of a homely girth.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I use mine as cast (which is around .3135") and gas check the super-sonic loads (1850 f/s) with a .314 sizer also but this is from a 7.62x54R with a groove diameter in the .314" area.

I have to agree with the others that if your GD is over .314" I would not use it.

I had trouble with it also at speeds above 1900 and this was from a .311 GD M39 Finn and the boolits were 24bhn lead/linotype. I think the small bands on the TL boolit just can't take the force.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Thank to all for the posts. I kinda thought this would be the problem. I like the profile and the fact that it is as wide at the top as it is at the bottom. Was hoping it would work. Oh well, I will keep looking.

Banned

You should try it though.

Boolit Master
    I may, just for the heck of it. But only after the barrel gets slugged.

Boolit Master
    ok, I ordered a block of cerrosafe so i can get a clear picture of the chamber, throat, and the bottom of the rifling. i have a soft lead slug for the rest of the bore. and i ordered a new digital caliper just for kicks. any thing else i might have forgot? I really want this bullet to work.

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    any thing else i might have forgot?
    If your rifle has a 5 groove barrel, you might get some shim stock to wrap around the slug so you can get a decent caliper reading. Just subtract twice the thickness of the shim stock for a groove diameter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul edward View Post
    If your rifle has a 5 groove barrel, you might get some shim stock to wrap around the slug so you can get a decent caliper reading. Just subtract twice the thickness of the shim stock for a groove diameter.
    Thank you very much. I will do that.