RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: My first lever gun

My first lever gun

Just got my first ever lever gun - a Winchester, of course . A (very obviously used) Model 1892, octagonal barrel, button mag in 44-40. The serial number indicates it was made in 1911, so it's over 100 years old (does that make it a vintage gun?). Now, I'm the first to admit I hardly need another gun - my wife just asks "how many do you need?" when another one comes along - but I've always wanted a lever gun so I had to have it! A member at the club was selling it, he bought it, fired a few rounds and then put it away because it didn't suit his needs. It was a bit the worse-for-wear when he got it, as the stock had probably seen too much sun and has a bit of "surface" cracking so he oiled it heavily. The woodwork is almost black from age and the bluing has vanished on a fair bit of the metal. My first thought was to strip it and re-do the whole gun, but then I thought it's wearing its age gracefully, it's a good honest gun so leave it alone. I might just try cleaning some of the built-up grime off the wood, however (no sandpaper, just a cloth with maybe some turps on it).

It came with some brass, primers, a set of RCBS dies and a boolit mold, now I just have to get a press and a couple of other odds and ends so I can re-load it. I'm a blackpowder shooter, and said I didn't want any cartridge guns, but hey, I can shoot BP in this wee beastie so all is well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	117014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	117015

What a nice find! If it is original and complete I wouldn't srub on it too hard or refinish it. Then you will just have a shooter.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

I have always wanted a '92 in 44/40. One day I may get one of the new reproductions!

Happy for you, as yours is an original!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Aren't those old M-92s lovely. I like that Button Magazine. Adds style!
    Nice find. Good job!

Boolit Grand Master

A gentle but thorough cleaning is all that rifle appears to need, IMHO. I also think that a BP cartridge such as the 44-40 performs best with BP but that again, is just my opinion. Looks like a fine little rifle you have there, congrats!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I pulled the woodwork off today and started rubbing it down with some turps, it's removing a bit of the grime and the excess oil that was applied and I can sort of almost see a bit of colour and texture to the wood. The metal has very little blueing left, but it has that "old" slightly rusty looking patina that metal gets after many years of handling.

I suspect it spent a fair bit of time bouncing around in the back of a truck, judging by the dings on it, but it has character - after all, anyone can get a brand new shiny rifle but not everyone can get one with that "well-worn" look . Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I don't expect it to be a tack-driver, just a fun gun to shoot when the club holds a lever-action competition.

And yes, Black Powder rules!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Whatever you do don't buy another levergun, once you have two hanging around they start multiplying like rabbits...or boolit moulds.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, that one will be alot of fun. i got my first levergun this past year, too....a marlin 1895. not the nostalgic piece yours is, but still great to have a lever action. BP & CB will be a terrific combination in yours!

Boolit Master
    I keep a eye out for an "Old Girl" like that to have and hold for my time here. Cradle her gently, shoot her easily, don't damage her while you are keeping her for the next person after you, to show her the world..

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Whatever you do don't buy another levergun, once you have two hanging around they start multiplying like rabbits...or boolit moulds.
    I have to agree !! I bought my first one in '66 and was fat, dumb and happy. I picked up my second one about 18 months ago and now have six.

Boolit Master
    Nice buy. Enjoy that new /antique Winny. I'm sure its seen its fair share of Black already. No mention of its bore condition?

does that make it a vintage gun?
    Vintage/antique is in the eye's of its beholder. Which ever you want it is.

I once had a .32-20 just like yours, but refinished & color case-hardened by Doug Turnbull (the selling FFL didn't realize it's true value) - button mag & all (but with a round bbl).

They're great woods-walking guns, and a .44-40 is about 2x-3x more valueable than one of the smallbores (.25-20/.32-20).

Congrats, and good luck with it.

OverMax, I poked a bore camera down it and it looked ok, considering its age. No sign of any bad pitting or heavy rusting, and I can still see the rifling! .

My biggest problem now is getting a loading press!!!! I figure a basic Lee 4-hole turret will suit my needs, but trying to get one locally is proving more difficult than I expected. Looks like I'll have to get it from the US (probably from Titan Reloading).