RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice Bore! Tight Action! Man is it ugly!!!!

Perma-Banned

They are good looking guns. I find myself always looking at early levers and single shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumblypeg View Post
    Just clean it and shoot it... it's got caricature.
    I lol'd.

What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Looks like a work gun to me.

Boolit Buddy

In my not-so-humble-opinion, without a doubt the best cartridge ever for cast bullets! Nice find!
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master

The ole gal has aged nicely , enjoy !!!

Another vote for cleaning it & leave it as is.

Wish it could talk !!!

GP
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    I have a restored 1893 with a B prefix serial number. Receiver was made about 1904. It was a butchered 30-30 when I bought it. I found a 26" light round 38-55 barrel from about 1906 at what was then Numerich's. Recased and blued, plus a custom shotgun buttplate stock with original Marlin pattern checkering. Beautiful rifle, but doesn't like hot loads. I have killed two large South Alabama feral boars with it. They are wonderful rifles and have more character than the later 336s.

Bill

Boolit Master

I just can't look at an old rifle like that and not wonder where it's been and what it has seen and done! I have just not been fortunate enough to get my hands on one but if I did I probably would not let go.

Well I was finally able to take her out and see what she'd do.

Load was CCI LR mag primers, 40grns 2Fg, poly wad and a Lee .379-250 Boolit cast of soft lead. Bore slugged at .380.
    Honestly I'm not a paper puncher, I'd rather shoot rocks across a ridge or cans and milk jugs, ect.

We set some cans out at about 20 to 30 yards, I killed most of them with the first shot! So she is a good shooter! Real happy with her!!!

Locally they have a levergun silhouette match once a month. I was going to get my old 30-30 loaded up for it (yes they allow the 30-30). But now I'm thinking I'll use the 38-55 and have the 30-30 as a back-up.

Yes if this old gal could talk! WOW!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Time to take Bambi and that old rifle and introduce them via airmail!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

My Father picked up a 93 back in the 50s for fixing a guys car. Story was that it was found in an old miners shack and the barrel was bent do to the roof collapsing on it. The finder sent the rifle to Marlin and had a new barrel installed. It had been a 25-36 and the new barrel was a 30-30 carbine. It has three notches behind the lever, claim jumpers?. I found a 25-36 barrel that was shot out and rebored it to 38-55 and put a new rifle mag tube on. Got a new forearm but never got around to getting the nose cap. Someday I might find time to complete the job. The 93 is a nice old rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    I just can't look at an old rifle like that and not wonder where it's been and what it has seen and done! I have just not been fortunate enough to get my hands on one but if I did I probably would not let go.
    Couldn't agree more. Have a few rifles that are around the century mark and each time I handle them I think about the previous "custodians". Picking up an old rifle is like shaking hands with history.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.