Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So much for the do not call list

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

So much for the do not call list

Rachel from (card services) just called my home phone.
    But callerID said it me and my phone # .
    1st time this happen this way
    This is getting out of hand.

So much for the do not call list

LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Seems to take a long time to reach it's full effect and it does expire so you need to renew. I started getting more of the unwanted calls so I listed our numbers again and it's been slowly lessening.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    Seems to take a long time to reach it's full effect and it does expire so you need to renew. I started getting more of the unwanted calls so I listed our numbers again and it's been slowly lessening.

Looks like I registered 6 yrs. ago and it still good.

And they used my own phone # because it comes in on my caller ID.

Thank you for registering your phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry. You successfully registered your phone number ending in xxxx on July 01, 2008. Most telemarketers will be required to stop calling you 31 days from your registration date

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

In addition to expiring & needing to be renewed the do not call list is a federal plan and does not effect calls from within your state.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Back in the 80's, my mother use to get up each morning at 4am to go to work. One night around 9pm someone calls to sell magazine subscriptions. Mom tells her if she will give her the number she would call back when it's convenient and order some magazines. 4am my mom calls her and says " it's convenient now would you like to sell me some magazines?" The lady hung up.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007[edit]

On February 15, 2008, U.S. President George W. Bush signed into law the H.R Bill 3541: Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007. Two major changes were enacted through this law:

• While originally required to renew their phone numbers every five years, consumers need now only register once to maintain their phone numbers on the Do Not Call Registry.
    • The frequency with which the FTC must purge the registry of disconnected and reassigned numbers has also been increased to several times a month. However, the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act prohibits removing numbers from the do-not-call registry unless the number is invalid, disconnected, or reassigned; or the individual to whom the number is assigned so requests.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa..._Call_Registry

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

That b--ch Rachel from credit card services used to call here several times a week untill I filed a formal complaint with the FCC and FTC. I havn't got a call from credit card services in a LONG while and hope I never do again.

Boolit Master
    Off shore telemarketers and caller id spoofing have pretty much ended the usefulness of the do not call list. We get several calls a day for various services. Looked up a couple of numbers and it is usually some random number not related to the company calling. One guy in San Antonio had an old voicemail number being used for 20 million calls a day by Indian telemarketers last year. Sign up on nomorobo.com if you can, we cannot with Suddenlink. They won a government grant to try to stop the robo calls; so they are legit.

Boolit Master

I use the call-blocking service to block calls showing my number on the caller ID. I found the Howard Stern method some what effective in reducing the number of calls before the do not call law was enacted. Just think and say some of the filthiest most perverted things you can imagine gets your number on a list of do not call wackos. Today all my land-line calls are filtered through an answering machine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    Off shore telemarketers and caller id spoofing have pretty much ended the usefulness of the do not call list. We get several calls a day for various services. Looked up a couple of numbers and it is usually some random number not related to the company calling. One guy in San Antonio had an old voicemail number being used for 20 million calls a day by Indian telemarketers last year. Sign up on nomorobo.com if you can, we cannot with Suddenlink. They won a government grant to try to stop the robo calls; so they are legit.
    Thanks but no go for me

Sorry! None of your carriers currently support Nomorobo. But there is something that you can do!
    Please call the customer service number below and request that they add Simultaneous Ringing to their service so you can finally stop getting robocalls. The more people that call them, the better.
    AT&T (Traditional Landline) Customer Service

1-800-288-2020

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

he do not call list is barley useful as the politicals that enacted it exempted charities and political groups from it. During a presidential election year I can get 8-10 calls a day from the to parties cantidates and orginizations. For me it is an issue getting to the phone and not answering it isnt an option as Im a single parent. I was getting 2 calls a day 3 times a week from "Rachel" for awhile and I dont have any credit cards LOL. I did talk to the local prosecutor last presidential election about filing harrassment charges against bot the Republican National party and Democratic National Party. I was getting 8-10 calls a day starting at 8:30 and finally letting up around 9:00 at night. When my wife was alive she handed me the phone ( I was just getting into bed getting home from midnight shift) thinking it was a club member. Telemarketer I ask her What color undergarments are you wearing and she hung up on me. No they are almost all recorded calls.

Boolit Master
    I started telling them that the person had moved and I was renting, calls have just about stopped.
    jim

Boolit Master
    I wanna know how the telemarketers are bouncing numbers off of other numbers. I get calls and the caller ID says they are local numbers, some i even know. You call that number back and the people don't even know what's going on.
    No lie fellas, my brother in law got a call the other day and the caller ID showed his own name and number! He said when he saw that, he HAD to answer the call and talk to them! Ended up giving them a good cussing and they hung up on him.

I don't know the law but it HAS TO BE illegal to bounce numbers like that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
    I started telling them that the person had moved and I was renting, calls have just about stopped.
    When there's actually a flesh and blood on the line, I tell them the person they are looking for is dead. If they offer condolences I usually tell them "Don't be sorry, we're all glad he's dead around here, we hated the essohhbee."
    I know it ain't right but they usually stop calling from that particular number.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I wanna know how the telemarketers are bouncing numbers off of other numbers. I get calls and the caller ID says they are local numbers, some i even know. You call that number back and the people don't even know what's going on.
    No lie fellas, my brother in law got a call the other day and the caller ID showed his own name and number! He said when he saw that, he HAD to answer the call and talk to them! Ended up giving them a good cussing and they hung up on him.

I don't know the law but it HAS TO BE illegal to bounce numbers like that.
    I can spoof numbers on my iPhone. They're really simple programs. Pretty much nothing can stop it. I don't understand why people answer numbers they don't recognize. If it's important then they will leave a message. If you're getting a call from your own number you know it's a telemarketer.

Boolit Master
    Right, but I'm getting telemarketers from local numbers, many of which are good customers of mine.

Boolit Grand Master

They aren't coming from there. They're faking the caller ID. It's how all the calls from India look like they're from here. They've just managed to step their game up and are using a program to use local numbers. You're more inclined to pick up because of this.

Boolit Master

the whole problem is that the phone companies are in cahoots with the telemarketers. 15 years ago the day i moved into my house, been in about 2 hours hadnt even given the phone # to my family yet. guess who calls, asking for me by name.....you got it, rachael from credit card services. there is only 1 possible way that could happen, and that is the phone company sold them my info.

When I get the calls I tend to grunt a lot.
    "May I speak to John Doe?" grunt "How are you today Mr. Doe?" grunt "I have a wonderful deal for you today Mr. Doe." grunt
    They finally give up.

Moderator Emeritus

I made a recording using the anonymous voice that is computer generated "we have hacked your system, we know where you are, random emplyee cars will explode when started" calls quit after the first 3 or 4

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast