MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 357 Handi-Rifle & BP . . . experiences anyone?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

357 Handi-Rifle & BP . . . experiences anyone?

I'm sure a few folks have so I'm just curious what the results were? I pick dup a .357 Handi-Rifle not long ago just to "play with". When I got it, I planned on both smokeless and BP. I'm just curious what you experienced if you've tried it?

I have both 2F and 3F Goex. I plan on using a 158 gr. Round Nose boolit cast in a Lyman 358-311. I also have 148gr and 160gr WC out of Lyman molds. I plan on using just a compressed load - no wad, no filler - just add powder, seat boolit and compress load.

I don't have a chronograph so was wondering if someone has done this and what they clocked at?

Do you remember what grain load you used?

All of my shooting will probably be at 25 and 50 yards at paper and plinking targets. I should also mention that I have the rifle scoped so should be able to adjust POA to POI (hopefully! LOL)

I also have 38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long and 38 Spl. brass that I could load up but I figured the 357 casing with the greater volume might be better? I also have lighter weight boolits I could use from 105 gr SWC to 121 gr Round Nose out of a Lyman 358-242 mold. Any thoughts on what might be a good combination?

I'll be using my regular BP lube in the grooves and depending on what the fouling looks like, I can run a patch through the barrel from the breech between shots.

I've loaded BP for pistol but this is the first BP rifle cartridge. Not rocket science I know but if someone has suggestions I'm wide open to them. All of my previous experience has been in shooting round ball, rifled musket, C & B pistols for 50 years. Kind of eager to see how this all works out going down the tube of a Handi.

Thanks!

Billy,
    I have shot b.p. cartridges in my .357 Marlin Cowboy (24"). Bullets I have used are the original .38 Special b.p. bullet (Ideal 358250- 158 grs.) that has two lube grooves and the Accurate mold version of that bullet which has a .18" flat on the nose (The Ideal has a round nose). Lube used is SPG.

Charge weights have been 21.5 grs which is a replicate of the original .38 Special b.p. (in .357 brass). I pretty much use Swiss FFFG since it does not foul out (hard ring of fouling building at the muzzle and extending back into the barrel) like Goex does..... in my experience. I did shoot about 10 rounds with Goex 3F and by about the 8th shot the group really started to open up. Average velocity was 1,158 f.p.s.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 09-20-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    My handi (Bc) is now a bp only rifle and it is accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Boolit Mold
    I have the .357 and the 45-70 handi rifles. I absolutely love them. I shoot bp as well as smokeless through them.

Boolit Buddy
    You can get wads at midway for .38 pistol, I use them in my .357 Marlin.