Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman #225438 on squirrels

Boolit Master

Lyman #225438 on squirrels

Been working with the Lyman #225438 in the CZ .22 Hornet for a good squirrel load. Cast from ACWW+ 2% tin, and 6 gr 2400, it takes a squirrels head off. I did use the Lyman gas-check seater and a flat top punch to put a small flat meplat on my hunting boolits in the Lyman 450 sizer. It is a little too destructive for body hits, but great for headshots.

I was surprised at how "nasty" this little boolit performed!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

You can tone it down a bit with three grains of RedDot

Boolit Master

Any guesses on velocity?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Any guesses on velocity?
    When I get a chance I will chronograph the loads and post the results.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Got a photo a the little buggers?
    What are you shooting them out of?
    Thanks
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned

you can harden the alloy up.
    I run a 4/6 alloy and it will zip right through a squirrel.
    your meplat is also doing a great deal of the work here too, transferring energy to the target.

Boolit Master

Shooting a CZ527 Hornet with these boolits. Top boolit is RN, bottom boolit is with meplat added with aid of Lyman gas-check seater in Lyman 450.

Boolit Bub
    Yah you could load it down a bit, took my first red squirrel of the season a couple days ago in Maine. It was a Crosman Premier out of a 1971 Blue Streak with a Williams peep. One shot kill too!

Actually was pretty good snack, just the legs, fired up in salt, pepper, and Montreal Steak seasoning with a little parsley, cause that was all I had at the cabin.

Gotta love em boolits. Are pellets boolits?

Oh yah the load was 8 pumps

Boolit Master
    you cant shoot them in head that's the best part, and you don't need the check and lube they are faster than the tree rat

Boolit Master

For whatever the reason, maybe some voids in the boolits, a little too soft WW blend, too much velocity, or the added meplat, my #225438 boolits were violent on squirrel head shots. Maybe a combination of all the above.

Went to an alloy approximating Lyman #2, left the boolit a roundnose, (not adding a meplat) and the boolits penetrate a squirrel head leaving a .22 cal size hole, and drop the squirrels nicely. Still using 6 gr/ 2400. Need to chronograph the load, but having too much fun shooting grey squirrels right now!

Boolit Master

I shoot the 225415 with 8 grns of 2400 and it fairly destroys jackrabbits. I've tried some lighter loads of Unique and Blue Dot and they just make a clean hole. The 8 grns and 225415 is akin to a bomb. Not for hunting food unless you like bits of bone and hair mixed in with the hamburger.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

Chronograph results; CZ 527 .22 Hornet, Remington brass, CCI small pistol, Neck sized with Wilson neck die, #225438 with GAtor check and Tac 1 lube, Lyman #2 alloy, 6gr/2400 = 1691fps for average of 4 shots.

Hickok, that sounds like it should be good. The RN boolit and moderate velocity should work great.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

Here in TN we can't legally use centerfires for squirrel hunting.

If we could, I would imagine that virtually anything would work well. I shot some 30-30s the other night with 2.5 grains of 700-x and they penetrated 12" of water then went on into the backstop. I'd think they'd do well enough on squirrels.

Yeah, I wish we could hunt with centerfires for small game. I've shot a few 55 gr. round nosed cast handloads in my .223 that shot pretty good.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Yeah, I wish we could hunt with centerfires for small game. I've shot a few 55 gr. round nosed cast handloads in my .223 that shot pretty good.
    roverboy In tenn. You can't use CF's for small game? Here in PA they are pretty strict but if you read the rules "Small game" is limited to .22 cal ( they do not specificly specify Rimfire) but then again they also list "Fall" Turkey as small game and All "rifles" including muzzleloaders are allowed in many of the "districts" ( no caliber or primer type specified) Gosh I would think Tennessee to be more open with the rules. Guess you never know
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trail troll View Post
    Yah you could load it down a bit, took my first red squirrel of the season a couple days ago in Maine. It was a Crosman Premier out of a 1971 Blue Streak with a Williams peep. One shot kill too!

Actually was pretty good snack, just the legs, fired up in salt, pepper, and Montreal Steak seasoning with a little parsley, cause that was all I had at the cabin.

Gotta love em boolits. Are pellets boolits?

Oh yah the load was 8 pumps
    Nice work. That's a .20 cal? I have the same set up and also a scope base for the Sheridan.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    roverboy In tenn. You can't use CF's for small game? Here in PA they are pretty strict but if you read the rules "Small game" is limited to .22 cal ( they do not specificly specify Rimfire) but then again they also list "Fall" Turkey as small game and All "rifles" including muzzleloaders are allowed in many of the "districts" ( no caliber or primer type specified) Gosh I would think Tennessee to be more open with the rules. Guess you never know

http://www.tn.gov/twra/huntweapons.html

Boolit Buddy

Rinfire restriction!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Here in TN we can't legally use centerfires for squirrel hunting.

If we could, I would imagine that virtually anything would work well. I shot some 30-30s the other night with 2.5 grains of 700-x and they penetrated 12" of water then went on into the backstop. I'd think they'd do well enough on squirrels.
    AR also has the .22 rim fire restriction.
    "Squirrels may not be hunted with rifles or pistols larger than .22 caliber rimfire or with muzzleloaders larger than .40 caliber unless a modern gun or muzzleloading deer season, bear season or coyote season is open. Squirrels may not be hunted with shotguns using rifled slugs or shot larger than T shot."
    Same rule for rabbits.

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I never could understand any of the firearm restrictions during hunting season. Since centerfire is legal for squirrels, 25 caliber should have been the cut off point with the 256 and the 25-20 being popular. I guess those .025 were too dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast