Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WW 94 with my boolit

Banned

WW 94 with my boolit

My boolit shoots good from 94 Winchester at 50. Open sights I can hardly see. Low shot was me, never got the sight level when it went off but have 4 in 3/4". Open sights suck. Trigger is hard. Attachment 116866 26 gr of 3031. Need to load more and sight in. Great little gun.

Assuming a 6 O'Clock hold, move the group about 3 to 3 1/2 inches right and you are good to go. 3031 has always been a top performer in the 30-30 whether jacketed or cast. Likewise 4895.

30/3031/170 jacketed or 31/3031/150 jacketed. Reduce one grain for cast bullets of either weight.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

I am using 26 gr of 3031 with my 187 gr boolit for 1903 fps. I never worked up more. My Marlin is doing under 1" at 100. But open sights are a pain for me now.
    I had no back bag and put my left hand on the front bag. Not real steady. Still surprising how good it shoots. I have to see if he will sell me this 94.
    I might have made the perfect boolit.
    Dave will want boolits cast but he better buy GC's.

Boolit Master

I shoot just a bit more 3031 under a Lee 309170 which i powder coat velocity average is 2040 f/s and it shoots under 2 inch 100 yd groups from my scoped Marlin model 336.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

IMHO the 30-30 is an unsung hero of rifle rounds. Very versatile with boolits.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

I have owned many lever guns and have a soft spot for them, all have been as accurate as a bolt gun. I never owned my own 94 but it is the most beautiful gun ever. Form and feel is perfection.
    I made my boolit for the Marlin and did not expect it to work but it did.
    All I need is for someone off to the side to shoot the gremlin off my sights! Now that Dave knows how his rifle shoots, I will never talk him out of it.

The 30-30 is a natural with cast bullets. It has an almost ideal case capacity and a long neck. It doesn't hurt that most 30-30s have a 1-12 twist barrel which is cast bullet friendly. The Marlin has a 1-10 twist barrel, but still works well with cast bullets.

The only round that does better is the 32 Winchester Special, which is the same case opened up a smidge for a larger bullet and has a 1-16 twist barrel. The slow twist is only an advantage if you are pushing the bullets past 2,000 fps. Go slow and the bullets might not have enough stability. For full snort loads out of a Winchester 94 or Marlin 36/336 the 32 WS is the ticket.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

I want to see the 39 Mounty brought back as well as the 32 WS. I want to see the .44 with a 1 in 20 or 22" twist. Maybe the 25-20 in 1892 form.