Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: disappointed and need help

Boolit Buddy

disappointed and need help

ok so I have been attempting to ASBBDT . First I bought some harbor freight red , and got so so results. the powder stuck but did not stick in some spots, and after baking the boolits were covered, but just splotchy looking and had a few bare spots. So I figure its the powder as I had limited success, so I break down and order some flat black fro smoke. Well the package comes today and I am all excited, as I am going to get some boolits coated and be able to shoot them . Well here is what I got !!!! I am so disappointed that I just can not tell you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5880.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	116793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5881.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	116794

Here is what I did. black ASBB crossman, #5 container ( actually tried two different ones) cleaned container and boolits with acetone and dried thoroughly. shook for 3 minutes. temp outside right now is about 65° F and humidity is right around 67%

I actually got much better results with the HF red. I am about to scream what is going wrong !!!!!

charlie

Boolit Master

If you can, get a cool whip container. Or a different #5 polypropylene container. I tried clear ones with poor results. My best luck has been by putting one layer of boolits in the bowl and a tbsp or so of PC and swirling rather than shaking. You might try using mineral spirits to degrease first and allow to dry. Works for me! Good luck!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    If you can, get a cool whip container. Or a different #5 polypropylene container. I tried clear ones with poor results. My best luck has been by putting one layer of boolits in the bowl and a tbsp or so of PC and swirling rather than shaking. You might try using mineral spirits to degrease first and allow to dry. Works for me! Good luck!
    I assume you are using ASBB's as well correct ?? I tried two different #5 containers but both were clear. I cleaned and dried with acetone. I would think that would be as good as mineral spirits but maybe not

thanks Petroid

chalrie

Boolit Master

I don't use the BBs but I don't know if it makes a difference. The humidity may be a factor. In KY it gets quite humid though not so much as of late. Try taking it in the house to tumble. And make sure you keep your PC container sealed. Once the PC gets moisture I was never able to get it to work right

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    67% is a killer for me, anything above 30% I ESPC.
    I m not convinced that it becuse I was able to use the HF red in the same conditions.

Boolit Buddy
    I am in southern ohio and have no trouble getting the powder to stick, I used HF, powderbythepound, eastwood powder, smokes powder and all powder and they all worked. First you have to play with it to get the hang of it, when you swirl the boolits they will not pick up powder right away and it takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes for the coating to begin and than the last period you need to shake the tub up and down violently before stopping. from the looks of your picture those boolits look like they were not totally dry or your powder is wet with something. my powder never clumps up like that on the boolits. every now and than I get some stubborn boolits that I have to coat twice.

Boolit Master

start with a hand full and roll some leads in mineral spirits. Let them just about dry and try it again Powder coating. let the tub sit inside w/ the top off while things are drying. Hopefully its less humid inside. Something in the mineral spirits helps.....

Boolit Buddy

Could there be a film of some sort on those boolits ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbuster View Post
    Could there be a film of some sort on those boolits ?
    I dont think so I cleaned them with acetone, so they should be clean. I let them dry as well

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    I am in southern ohio and have no trouble getting the powder to stick, I used HF, powderbythepound, eastwood powder, smokes powder and all powder and they all worked. First you have to play with it to get the hang of it, when you swirl the boolits they will not pick up powder right away and it takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes for the coating to begin and than the last period you need to shake the tub up and down violently before stopping. from the looks of your picture those boolits look like they were not totally dry or your powder is wet with something. my powder never clumps up like that on the boolits. every now and than I get some stubborn boolits that I have to coat twice.
    I do not think its the powder I just opened the bag I got from SMOKE and it flowed like flour. no clumps what so ever. I am wondering what the ratio of powder to bb's should be

Boolit Buddy
    I never clean my boolits, I just cast and coat. I tried cleaning the boolits once and saw not difference in the coating process. I would dump the powder out of the bowl and try with fresh powder.

Quote Originally Posted by cstrickland View Post
    I am so disappointed that I just can not tell you.
    charlie
    Charlie I feel your pain. Or I did, until I took a deep breath and went back to ES spraying. I'd encourage you to keep that option tucked away and I also hope you can discover the real trick for DT. Sometimes it sounds like instructions for various dance steps needed to make it rain. ES gives you perfect coverage every day, weather, powder, all that.

You'll find a way to get PC'd boolits, one way or another.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have never used the black. Something is definitely not right about the conditions for using that though. Have you pm'd Smoke on it to see how he uses the black?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

I did 3 batches in my vibratory brass cleaner and they coated perfectly. By the fourth batch the temperature and humidity had come up and it looked just like yours. I added some packing peanuts and back to perfect coating.

I use lacquer thinner

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I did 3 batches in my vibratory brass cleaner and they coated perfectly. By the fourth batch the temperature and humidity had come up and it looked just like yours. I added some packing peanuts and back to perfect coating.
    I will see if we have some at work and give this a try. thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Charlie I feel your pain. Or I did, until I took a deep breath and went back to ES spraying. I'd encourage you to keep that option tucked away and I also hope you can discover the real trick for DT. Sometimes it sounds like instructions for various dance steps needed to make it rain. ES gives you perfect coverage every day, weather, powder, all that.

You'll find a way to get PC'd boolits, one way or another.
    El you do not know just how close I am to heading to HF tomorrow and picking up a ES unit. I had told my self if I did not get the results I wanted from the better powder that was my next step. if it takes this many steps to get it down I am not sure its worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I have never used the black. Something is definitely not right about the conditions for using that though. Have you pm'd Smoke on it to see how he uses the black?
    beagle that is one of the first things I did. I am sure he will get back to me tomorrow, so I am holding until then

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Even if you do keep tumbling when you only need a few coated.... get the HF unit! You'll love it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    Mine looked like that when they hadn't completely dried after water dropping. I put the container with the powder and bb's and boolits on top of a warm hot plate for a half hour to dry everything out. I could still touch the plate without getting a burn type of warm. After a half hour they coated perfectly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast