MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are my .45LC rounds too long?

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I don't load or shoot 45 LC but I'm just wondering as I read this thread . . . just what is the big concern about the boolit sitting back a 1/10 of an inch? I understand that a lot of folks worry about "bullet jump" but that really doesn't seem like a big issue if it chambers, the boolits are crimped to prevent jumping in the cases due to recoil. If the cartridge chambers and the cylinder turns, I kind of doubt that what little "jump" there is between the end of the bullet and the barrel is going to make a big difference. How is it any different than shooting a 38 spl. out of a .357 - something which I do all the time. I cast and load a lot of different boolit designs in the 38 and they all seat different due to design and the COAL can vary. If they chamber - they'll shoot just fine. Not being critical . . . just asking why it would be any different in a 45 LC?
    If you have ever looked at the very long throat in a 45 ACP cylinder for a sixgun you will know that sending a bullet trundling down the throat before it hits the forcing cone will do no harm to accuracy. Bullets will be fully out of the case and free in the throat before they hit the forcing cone.

So you are correct as their is no difference between 45, 38/357 and 44/44 Mag. Folks just seem to be married to numbers in books and afraid to use their brains.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I cant help but wonder if the OP gets the message by now.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I don't load or shoot 45 LC but I'm just wondering as I read this thread . . . just what is the big concern about the boolit sitting back a 1/10 of an inch? I understand that a lot of folks worry about "bullet jump" but that really doesn't seem like a big issue if it chambers, the boolits are crimped to prevent jumping in the cases due to recoil. If the cartridge chambers and the cylinder turns, I kind of doubt that what little "jump" there is between the end of the bullet and the barrel is going to make a big difference. How is it any different than shooting a 38 spl. out of a .357 - something which I do all the time. I cast and load a lot of different boolit designs in the 38 and they all seat different due to design and the COAL can vary. If they chamber - they'll shoot just fine. Not being critical . . . just asking why it would be any different in a 45 LC?
    The "tenth of an inch" specifically, was not a concern. That the COAL was .085" over SAAMI spec was. The tenth of an inch was just the amount the loaded rounds happened to be below the end of the cylinder. I would have asked the same question if my loaded rounds ended up being .030" beyond SAAMI, and the loaded rounds were instead an eighth of an inch below the end of the cylinder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I cant help but wonder if the OP gets the message by now.
    Yes, I got it by the sixth post.

Everything else was just further confirmation, or other questions being asked that I wasn't concerned about.

Banned

Understand OAL is based on jacketed and where the crimp groove is, same as cast. No cast is the same with so many boolits. All are different and it means nothing at all. Even if a boolit seats deeper then another, what does it mean? NOTHING in the end since loads should be worked anyway. But most of mine use the same charge when done. Cast is very forgiving. If you tell me seating 1/10" deeper will break my gun I will look at you cockeyed.
    You work with what you have.
    My favorite is if your boolit is over groove and fits throats someone will always say to soften the boolit so it OBTURATES, OH MY! Hard boolits lead bores--OH MY!
    My OH MY list would use all the memory this site has.

Boolit Buddy
    Lions and Tigers and Bears! OH MY!!!

(make dandy targets, if you bring enough gun)

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I got out and shot it this weekend. I must say 17gr of 2400 under a 262gr SWC was stout. I only shot six. The grips were abrading the palm of my hand pretty good. Either new, smooth grips or a shooting glove before I'll shoot those again. Well, actually, first I'll see how it groups on a target. I was just shooting at a steel plate Saturday.

Boolit Master
    My standard load for a 454424 is 20 gr 2400 with a standard primer.
    I don't find the load objectionable with 20 gr.
    19 gr with a Mihec 270 SAA clone of the RCBS mold.
    I use the factory grips.
    Your hand will toughen up.
    A man and his wife were at Bass Pro looking for ammo for her alloy 38 Special S&W. She said it hurt her hand. Her husband ask me what she needed and I said to shoot more.
    I got a blister on my hand the other day from shooting a sharp edged grip. Guess what, keep on keeping on.

Boolit Buddy
    Question - I don't think I crimped the rounds particularly deep, but if I did I think that would increase pressure and therefore recoil. Correct?

Boolit Master
    You couldn't possibly be that recoil sensitive to tell the difference in crimp amount.

Boolit Buddy
    Okay. Thanks. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but these are the first big boomers I've ever loaded, and I've never had that kind of thing happen before, even when shooting 158gr .357mag SD ammo out of my LCR. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't inadvertently causing pressure spikes.

I'm still going to try making some replacement grips, but just because I like the look of wood better, and I have this really pretty piece of birds' eye maple.

Boolit Master
    I think Maple is pretty. Along with well figured Walnut

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12