Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Accuracy .357 carbine/revolv loads with CB? Here's what I have on hand to roll a few.

Boolit Buddy

Accuracy .357 carbine/revolv loads with CB? Here's what I have on hand to roll a few.

New here and thanks for having me. Now forcefully retired I have more time (bitter-sweet) to roll some of my own. My favorite guns are these: my Ruger 77/357 carbine, my Ruger 6 inch stainless half lug GP100, and my 4 5/8 inch Ruger stainless Blackhawk. I have others, but these get grabbed most when I have an invitation to be a range guest.
    Components I have now are:

*1500 158 grain Keith style SWCs,
    * pound of Universal Clays
    * small jug of Trail Boss
    * Primers are Winchester and CCI non-magnums.
    * Cases are all mixed Remington, Aguila, Smith and Wesson, Winchester and CCI, both brass and nickeled.

I tumble all my cases and check overall lengths.I'm most interested in economical range loads with the best accuracy I can muster.
    I'd appreciate load suggestions. Not interested in hot loads, just fun stuff. Can't really hunt any more due to injury, but if a rabbit popped up at a buddy's farm I'd take it (I do have my disable hunting and fishing license and to me you can't beat fried rabbit and gravy with corn pancakes or biscuits).
    My Lee manual from 1999 doesn't list Trail Boss, and unlike the Lyman manuals I grew up with in the 60's and 70's, doesn't spell out an "accuracy load". I tried several searches using "77/357" here but "conflict" statements come up and I am still learning to use the forum resources.
    I'm a careful attentive reloader. Started as an 8 year old with Daddy in 1966, and did until 1979 when I started college. Started again this year, using my Lee Classic Turret press and carbide dies. I also have the Lee factory crimp die.
    Thank you for help with a new member. Don
    Last edited by Tallbald; 09-18-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Boolit Master

Hi Don & WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

I can't help with your Universal Clays or Trail Boss loads without first consulting the books, but here is some info on the Ruger Carbine:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...h-cast-boolits

Boolit Grand Master

You have one bullet and two powders. Go to Hodgdon's online data and start at the bottom. You should be able to work up an accurate load in short order.

Boolit Grand Master

Best bet is to stay with in start to max .357 revolver loads listed in a reputable load manual such as Hodgdon's. Test the loads for accuracy in the rifle. The accurate load used in the rifle will usually shoot very good in the revolver also. However, many top end revolver loads that are accurate in the revolver are not accurate in the rifle. Load for the rifle staying within revolver loads and then use the accurate load in both.

Currently there is "Clays" powder and there is "Universal" powder. Do you have either or do you actually have some of the older "Universal Clays"?

If Clays then start is 3.2 gr and Max is 4.6 gr.

If Universal then start is 4 gr and max is 6.2 gr.

If you have "Universal Clays" then perhaps someone else has correct data.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-18-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Banned

universal clays is basically clean burning unique.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks folks for info and the link. Larry I do have the older powder. That confused me too until I asked about the issue on a forum I've been a member of for years. Mine is 1999 unopened vintage. Is there a preferred manual among members here? I'd like to be "on the same page" as most members. I've loaded several hundred rounds of .44 Magnum with the Trail Boss using data from Hodgdins site, but none were tagged "accuracy load". I'd enjoy making up say 5 different powder weights to try at the range but am not sure what "range" would be best, given the 1 in 18 twist of my 77/357.
    I read about Lil Gun and Winchester 296. Is there a preferred powder that my reloading interests would get the most versatility from? I load .38 Special, .357 Mag, and .44 Magnum. The .44 is for an old frame Vaquero and a Super Blackhawk we have. Variety is the spice of life, but inventory simplification is a plus for me. My .357 slugs are Missouri Bullet Company Keith style 158 grain, 18 Brinell SWC, 358158M. I'm going to try the search feature again on these topics (I love reading and digesting what I read anyhow) but specific loads for a combo of guns isn't real common I am told. Don
    Last edited by Tallbald; 09-18-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: I have diarrhea of the mouth

Boolit Grand Master

H110/W296 and LilGun are not versatile. They are for full power magnum loads. H110/W296 needs magnum primers to light reliably. Unique, Universal, HP-39/W231 are all versatile powders. Actually most of the pistol powders are until you get into the magnum ones. 2400 is one exception to that.

Boolit Master

Don,
    Lots of threads here on "if you only had one powder to do it all"
    most of them are spelled Unique

Boolit Buddy
    I see folks. I'll look into Unique. I don't handle recoil like I could years ago. Penny, mu loving and also shooting wife has trouble with recoil too. Actually that's why I bought the Trail Boss. But since I do have the TB and Universal Clays, I have a good amount of powder to get going. We have Cabela's outpost opening close by in the coming weeks but I don't know if they will carry reloading supplies. I was hoping to find a recommendation and buy a jug of a good choice powder at sale prices if they do. And primers.. which leads to another searching I need to do here. I'll check out the Unique too. Thanks again. Don

Boolit Buddy
    Beerd thanks for the link. I read it entirely, but will have to read it several times again and jot down notes. I really like my 77/357 so far because of the light weight, stainless construction and it being a bolt action gun not dependent on minimal pressure to cycle. Don

Boolit Master
    Hi Don,

Somewhat off topic, my favorite small game, plinker load is Lyman's 358101 a 74 gr. semi wadcutter. I use Trailboss with this boolit. I would be curious how it would shoot in your rifle. I use it in 5 different .38/.357 revolvers. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Lucky Joe; 09-18-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Add Text
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Tallbald _

Howdy !

For a load you'll be happy with in both revolver & carbine, I strongly suggest 14.5gr WW296 ( H110 same stuff ) SP Mag primer; and any Lyman .357"
    SWC of 158 - 172 gr. You can assemble these in any good .357Mag case(s). This is a true .357 " Magnum " load.

I'm not talkin' powder " versatility ", use in differing calibres; or the like. I'm talkin' specifically for use w/ .357Mag's.

.357Mag Trailboss loads are apt to be very light on recoil & power, those be acceptable things to you.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Grand Master

The OP said no "hot" loads. The H110 load given is my hunting load. It's a full power magnum load. While not a max charge it's a handful in a revolver.

Boolit Master

For a nice plinking load in the 800-850 fps with revolver & 1,000 -1,050 fps in a rifle or SS pistol I have been using 4.0 to 4.5 grs of Bullseye for about 40 years or about 10 years ago Tightgroup powder. loaded in 357 mag cases with excellent accuracy with about 10 different cast bullet design's from 148 to 200 gr in weight and perhaps 15 different 357 mag firearms. most revolvers will do a inch @25 yards and the SS pistol & rifle will do that at 50 yards. all with a scope or red dot sight installed. also sort your brass by mfg and use in seperate lots for best accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again for the insight shared here in all the answers. I had wondered about sorting my brass. Sort of funny, but when I started loading again earlier this season, I found a sack of brass that I had sized and deprimed 35 years ago in 79 and just stopped. Kinda like finding breakfast dishes left on the kitchen table from another era as if folks just left......
    As to sorting. I have mixed Aguila (yuck--in some the flash hole is obviously off center, and a factory load locked up my Ruger SP101 10 years ago with a primer flowed into the firing pin hole, leading me to label the box as "do not shoot"), Smith+Wesson (shows my age), Remington, WW, Western, some unmarked stuff, and Hornady. I wish all were the same, but I've saved brass since literally childhood. Also have 1000 or so mixed 38 Special brass. Not even sure what to do with those, but that's another forum search. Getting started all over again in rolling my own, coupled with my 56 years of body wear and stuff sure makes me miss Daddy, my loading and shooting friend. He died at age 46 back in 1978. I was only 20. Just whining now. Don

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all again. Lucky Joe that 74 grain TB load sounds downright fun. Cheap and would be excellent to teach children. And at today's .22 rimfire prices it would be comparable in cost I think. Don

The only .357 mag firearm I have now is an SP101, and I've loaded quite a few rounds of 158 gr swc's over 4.1 gr of Trail Boss for nice, mild loads. I also load Trail Boss for the same nice, light loads with 240 gr swc's for my .44 mag Super Red Hawk and Rossi R92 lever gun..... and for .38 spl loads.

As for the Unique .... that's my #1 all around, fits in anything, not the best for everything, back-up, never do without powder.

JD

p.s. my son recently bought a 77/357 but hasn't had the time to even start wringing it out yet. He's also interested in some "sub-sonic" rounds. TB will certainly do the trick, and the data is available "on line".