RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do custom barrels for Handi Rifles?

Anyone do custom barrels for Handi Rifles?

I really have my heart set on a single shot 7.62x39 (AK/SKS ammo) and I don't think I can afford to have a rolling block built or rebuilt from scratch just to scratch that itch. Although that would be my ultimate choice, I just don't see it as being viable. If I'm wrong please educate me!

So since my wife has been wanting to shoot more, I'd been considering buying a Handi Rifle in .223 with scope mount. We'd both use and I think enjoy it.

But H&R no longer list 7.62x39 on their page of barrels that can be fitted to your gun.

I don't have a lot of desire for anything that is going to kick me silly. I can get all of that anytime I want just shooting factory loads out of my Mosin.

What I'd like is a scope capable barrel for the Handi Rifle that would let me shoot my reloaded 7.62x39 ammo.

I don't care about buying spam cans of cheap milsurp ammo. I prefer to cast my own bullets and often pull factory FMJ's and reload with my own load and cast boolits.

Anyone who has done this, or has the capability and interest to properly make and fit such a barrel where I could get at least decent (2moa or better would be preferred) accuracy please contact me here or via email.

billj69@gmail.com

Thanks for your time.

Try David White here: http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/

He also makes the Handi in 357 Super Mag.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master

If you have a handi in 308 or 30-06 here is a cheap option (at the bottom of the page)

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 7.62 handi from Davidsons. It is a shooter with almost anything I feed it cast and if it shoots surplus it takes three hammer falls. Stick with what you want and yo will be happy. Option two is a light 30-30 boolit load which should not push you around and be easier to find a bbl in.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Perm-Banned
    you could try norman johnson at turtle lake n.dak. he if a very good barrel maker and gunsmith. its a bit of a drive for you but you could call him to see if he is interested.

Boolit Master
    The easiest way seems to be the barrel stub method. Drill it out and thread it screw in a traditional barrel. Just need a proper sized barrel to shoot x39 out of, vs the 308 some companies went with.

I don't buy a lot of milsurp for the 7.62x39. I do have some cheap steel case but the majority of my ammo is Privi Partizan and Red Army Standard. Either way I can run factory loads through the SKS and reload with standard primers for the Handi. So I am not really concerned about the hard primer issue. I'll be patient and keep looking. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a 7.62 handi from Davidsons. It is a shooter with almost anything I feed it cast and if it shoots surplus it takes three hammer falls. Stick with what you want and yo will be happy. Option two is a light 30-30 boolit load which should not push you around and be easier to find a bbl in.

Boolit Grand Master

Put an ad up on the WTB section, it might surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    If you have a handi in 308 or 30-06 here is a cheap option
    I want to see a.311 bullet go down a .308 barrel
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Agree Lead Fred, not a good plan IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    Put an ad up on the WTB section, it might surprise you.
    Will do!

Boolit Master
    You could also get an appropriate barrel and then get it re-bored and chambered by Jes or Wayne York. That is probably the option that will cost the least amount of money, unless you can score a used barrel in the x39
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Perma-Banned
    lead fred & ghosthawk, do ya think people don't shoot mil-surp & other factory ammo in their 7.62x39 mini-30's with their .308 bores?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    lead fred & ghosthawk, do ya think people don't shoot mil-surp & other factory ammo in their 7.62x39 mini-30's with their .308 bores?
    Yep, .308 bore's on that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    I want to see a.311 bullet go down a .308 barrel
    I've been playing with cast .314's in my 308's and 303's.

I am sure I have no idea what other people shoot in their Mini 30's with a .308 bore.

I did just check a couple of factory loads in 7.62x39 and get a pretty consistent .3095-.310.

I know I would not put one of my .312 cast and .312 sized down a .308 hole.

If that means I need to end up buying a new lee size kit that is no huge problem IMO.

A cast boolit 3 thousandths over is one thing, a FMJ at 3 thousands over would give me pause.

I suspect that you are right that people do shoot milsurp 7.62x39 in .308 bores.
    I also suspect that it would raise pressures a bit more than I would like.

I can't speak to what others do, and what others accepted practice is.
    I can only be as safe as possible with what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post

Boolit Master
    I shoot .410 cast bullets through my .408 groove diameter single shot as a matter of practice.
    The same thing happens with all those German 88 commission rifles with the .320 groove diameters when .323 8X57 ammo is used.
    Nothing much happens with short light bullets. Long heavy jacketed bullets are another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I am sure I have no idea what other people shoot in their Mini 30's with a .308 bore.

I did just check a couple of factory loads in 7.62x39 and get a pretty consistent .3095-.310.

I know I would not put one of my .312 cast and .312 sized down a .308 hole.

If that means I need to end up buying a new lee size kit that is no huge problem IMO.

A cast boolit 3 thousandths over is one thing, a FMJ at 3 thousands over would give me pause.

I suspect that you are right that people do shoot milsurp 7.62x39 in .308 bores.
    I also suspect that it would raise pressures a bit more than I would like.

I can't speak to what others do, and what others accepted practice is.
    I can only be as safe as possible with what I do.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    Check out the H&R 1871 barrel accessory program Brian56 works for H&R and hangs out on the GBO forum .He is a super nice guy and has helped a lot of people find barrels.They also become available on the GBO Handi Classified section from time to time, but they do not last long.
    Rumor has it they were discontinued because the Handi Platform had a lot of failure to fires with the cheap milsurp ammo because of the thick primers.
    George

Exactly so Jeepmann1, but since I reload mine it should not be a problem.

Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast