WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Water-Quench BHN's of Common Mixes?

Boolit Master

Water-Quench BHN's of Common Mixes?

The "WHY" is going to have to wait for it's own thread later on, but my next .45ACP experiment is going to require harder slugs than the air cooled Lyman #2 I've been using. I'm presently trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this.

The "pantry" currently contains pure, #2, wheelweight, lino, tin, smelted birdshot, and range scrap with a very high percentage of shotgun slugs.

The process is going to be simple water drop from the mold - I'm not terribly interested in firing up the oven for the full-on samurai sword heat treatment.

A certain degree of shelf-stable hardness is desirable. When I load .45, it's usually in big batches. If this experiment pans out, age hardening won't be much of a problem, but age softening I'll want to keep to a minimum.

If the mold behaves as expected, I'll only be sizing down half a thou or so.

So please, kindly tell me of your mad science!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

The end result will vary with not only your casting technique, primarily how hot you run the mold ...ie: if you cast so the boolits are frosty (hot) or if your boolits are shiney (cooler) ...As well as the water temperature. Keep in mind that if you use a small size bucket and cast large quantities of boolits, the water will get warmer and then BHN will vary accordingly.

That is generally why I chose to heat treat in a toaster oven, so I could get the best consistency batch to batch.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

also the large amount of tin in the #2 will affect the final hardness. [a lot]
    water dropping works best on antimonial surfaces.
    your plain ol ww alloy with some soft thrown in [3-1] and <1% tin, will yield a bhn harder than lino-type if you use cold water.

FWIW- I've water dropped all my boolits for the last 20+ years. I did it so i didn't have to wait for them to age harden. 4-1 WW & lino. 725-750 temp. tap water. .22 thru .357 rifle & handgun. If the BHN varied much i was never able to see it on the target.

Mugs
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!