Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Remington rolling block

Remington rolling block

i remember seeing a posting asking about the new model Remington rollers. lost track of it but still have the same question as that fella did;

are they worth the $1500.00+ price that is asked for them?

the rifle looks really good and the pistolgrip target looks like a keeper but i ... as well as the original poster ... have not seen any posts on them concerning shootability or function. wouldnt want to have that kinda expenditure for a look see only to find them to be kinda strange .

wow pretty underwhelming. guess nobody has fooled with them much by the replies. i am with a select few that would very much like a original Remington roller in a modern steel rifle but i cant want to fork out the trade on dollars for a punch in the gut ... know what i mean?

i have read on the Ped's and they are in good report but the big name on em ain't Remington. still think it would be way cool to have a good roller in modern steel WITH the big name stamped on it. my old 1800's original is dandy but the but stock has way too much drop as i am wanting to mount a vintage {style} scope on one.

Nobody?

IMO a new/turnkey Remington roller for $1500 OTD is pretty much what someone would spend to restore/customize a 100 + year old whatever roller, to bring it to the same condition.

If somebody's willing to shoot just any old roller, then it's way overboard.

respectfully tho ... the 100 year old + roller {of which i have 2 of} does not boast of new steel and strength that the new rolling block would have. i own a Remington military which i love and have fun shooting ... also have a sporting model with the octagon top which i love and have equal fun shooting ... however neither of these will ever [as long as i have them leastwise] see modern loads with smokeless powder. one is the 43 spanish and the other is a 40-65. i would love to have a new modern roller in the 40-65 so as to be able to push the boolits a bit faster for hunting but i will not do so with my old rifles ... i have too much respect for them and the old type metal and strength of either.

maybe i should just look for a pedersoli "Bodine" model and work on getting it as i do know the reviews are very complimentary for them. then id have the rifle at least even tho without the namesake. thanks for your reply and thoughts ...

I've heard more bad than good on the new model. Poor fit and finnish! I'll take an original anytime over a copy, thats just me!

I had a Ped. Creedmoor #1 Rolling Block 45-70 and loved everything about it except the lack of a set trigger. None-the-less I used it for several years in silhouette matches and hunting and found it to be very accurate with a developed smokeless load and black powder. I looked at the Bodine but was concerned about the weight for silhouette matches. I finally bought the Creedmoor #2 45-70 with the set trigger. Again I have not been disappointed with the function or accuracy with developed smokeless loads or black powder. On both rifles I installed a Hadley tang sight. I'm currently experimenting with different bullet styles and weights. One thing I did find interesting with both rifles was that any bullet of less than 400 grains was a waste of time, lead and powder.

Oops. That's a Heilman tang sight with a Hadley peep

You can read my "New to me Remington RB1 sporter rolling block 45-70" post on this section to see my thoughts on a modern Rem. rolling block. Right now I am satisfied with the $1K I have into it but it has some sight issues that I am working on. I am shooting trapdoor loads for recoil reasons and that I am shooting 200 yards, its all I need for now. It has a shotgun style buttplate that works for my 350 grain bullet at 1300 FPS. If I were loading more, I may go to a lace on leather recoil pad for period looks and softer recoil. I too started out with a 43 Egyptian rolling block that I am using 13 grains of unique behind a Lyman 457124 385 grain (about 400 as cast with wheel weight alloy)bullet sized at .451 with good results hitting a 16" metal plate at 200 yards. You are correct about the modern stocks are more in-line than the drop of the old military style rolling blocks.

Boolit Grand Master

Aren't the Remington rifles made in Italy? Thought I read that somewhere.

I have no complaints with my Pedersoli Creedmoor in 40-65.

Boolit Master
    I had a buddy who shot BPCR in matches. He had both shiloh sharps as well as the ones made in Farmingdale Long Island and of course Pedersoli's. I asked him one day when he was shooting all three different manufactures which one did he find the most accurate,and which had been the easiest to develope a load for.
    Here is how he ranked them. Shiloh for accuracy and easiest to get shooting.
    pedersoli came in second and the farmingdale sharps was in last place. Some of you may remember when the great beeswax deal came through from the gentleman out in Henderson Navada. I gave him the guys e-mail, phone number and physical address. He bought 80lbs of US genuine military beeswax. Since he also made his own lubes that was a plus in his book. I still have some of that beeswax in a rubbermaid tub.Frank

Good info on these Rollers. Is there a company that makes replacement barrels for the big #5 in assorted Calibers?

I have the Pedersoli Bodine Rolling Block with set triggers and a Lee Shaver Soule sight.
    It's a sweet shooting jewel, and easily competes favorably against Sharps of all brands in accuracy, and quality of wood, fit, and finish. ( I have 3 Pedersoli sharps and another Roller too, all 45/70)
    Sure, nicer museum quality wood and hardware can be had for $4-$5k, but they don't shoot any better.
    For the money, I'd rather have a second Pedersoli!
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion