Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #3 22 hornet...scope mounts ?

Moderator Emeritus

Ruger #3 22 hornet...scope mounts ?

Attachment 116668

I am thinking of putting a scope on my Ruger #3
    It is D&T in the barrel from the factory (I assume).

I'd prefer steel mounts, and the only mounts I am able to 'easily' find are Alum weaver two pc bases and the catalog states shimming is probably required. I suspect the barrel profile from one caliber to another is different...This 22 hornet has quite a taper and where the rear base mounts is quite a bit higher than where the front base will mount.

Also, I've read that with this type of barrel mount, I'd need a lot of eye relief in the scope...or some set-back adaptors...then I'd inhibit access to chambering a round of ammo.

Anyone ever tackle this ? and have some guidance for me ?
    Or should I keep this an Iron sight gun ?
    Thanks,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Contact Ruger and ask them some similar questions. Ruger sold the mounts as an accessory for the guns that were drilled and tapped. That was type 1B which was serial number 130-51500 to 130-55000. It's a very large, gaudy looking mount that runs from the chamber end, 3/4 the way up the forend length. It's not a two piece affair.

Weaver makes bases for the #3.......85 and 86

The Ruger part number that you are looking for is SC-24
    Last edited by FLHTC; 09-17-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    Contact Ruger and ask them some similar questions. Ruger sold the mounts as an accessory for the guns that were drilled and tapped. That was type 1B which was serial number 130-51500 to 130-55000. It's a very large, gaudy looking mount that runs from the chamber end, 3/4 the way up the forend length. It's not a two piece affair.
    I'd love to see a picture of that, before I call Ruger, in case it's to ugly...I've been doing some web searching and striking out...I suppose that is just too old and too rare to be on the internet
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

FLHTC, does it look like this one ?
    this appears to be a two piece, maybe redfield ?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=441968568
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderator Emeritus

I think I found a photo of one...had to go to Norway

first column 5th photo down, Ruger #3 in 45-70
    http://www.rafdal-vapen.no/Customvpen_Bilder-2416s.html

translated:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...der-2416s.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    I have three Ruger single shots
    A no.1V re-barreled to 32-40, used the original taper, not wanting to cut the forend
    the 1V come with two piece mounts, with no set back
    I also have a No.3 with a mount I made, similar to the mount that come on a standard No.1, but I made mine just long enough to mount a T/C pistol mount from Burris, in order to get windage on the mount, also the mount goes over the top of the action, for eye relief, I also cut the bottom of the pistol mount a .020 angle to get enough elevation to shoot 500 meters, the N0.3 is a 30-40 Krag, a 6.5 x 20 Leupold scope is mounted in Burris mounts, Signature mounts were not available when I did this, otherwise the base would not have to be cut

It looks a little out of place with the scope, but I was trying to make weight in the production class of the CBA at the time

picture tomorrow...if I remember how

Boolit Master
    I have Weaver bases on 2 #3s. When you buy the Weaver bases be on the look out for a bad front base. I got one with the right front to rear taper but the radius was much larger than the barrel. It only left the base contacting in the center with no support on either side. I tossed that one and got another that worked well.

Ruger makes a mount consisting of 2 short bases that permit use of Ruger rings.

Original Ruger bases for Ruger rings
    Compact bases but you are stuck with the crude Ruger rings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06858.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	116736

The same bases on a Ruger #3

Name:	regerno3015_zps24637050.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	116737

Name:	regerno3013_zps9e280e0c.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	116738

Name:	regerno3008_zps9ef17889.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	116739

Redfield bases and rings - note the huge heavy bases.

Name:	3and38002_zpsb705ddc8.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	116735

From one of the posts above - This is base and rings were made by Buehler. I think they are defunct.

Name:	pix331389412.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	116740
    Last edited by EDG; 09-18-2014 at 08:19 AM.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I think I found a photo of one...had to go to Norway

first column 5th photo down, Ruger #3 in 45-70
    http://www.rafdal-vapen.no/Customvpen_Bilder-2416s.html

translated:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...der-2416s.html
    Yep that's the base that was offered for the #3 back in the day. If you Google Ruger #3, you can click on the link for images and there is a side shot of one. The fit of the after market bases are hit and miss at best. I'd contact Ruger to see if they have any bases

Boolit Grand Master

Back in '75 when I got my #3 Hornet I used a Weaver one piece base the fit the contour and hole pattern at the rear of the barrel. Cut it off just behind the rear sight and made a spacer to fit under it between the base and barrel. It's been on there ever since and is rock solid. I killed a bajillion squirrels, lots of crows & magpies, couple hundred rock chucks, a few coyotes and assorted other critters with it over the years. I loves 40 gr Speer and Sierra .224 Hornet bullets over 11.5 gr H4227 and the 45 Hornady over 12.5 H110 and now 12.5 gr Lil'gun. For cast it shines with the 225438. I have just about shot the 16" twist barrel out over the years.

I found accuracy was best (sub moa) with the front end floated and the barrel band removed. I also found fire formed cases with just enough of the neck sized for the bullet seating depth to give the best accuracy. FL dies will not do this as the very thin necks of the Hornet case stretch crooked when pulled over the expander. I went to a Redding bushing die and highly recommend it for use with Hornets as I load all my Hornets (have 4 of them and have loaded for 5 - 7 others over the years). I also use the Lyman M die with the expander reshaped to a much sharper profile to enter the case. That has, especially with jacketed bullets, put an end to scrunched case necks.

Hope you enjoy your #3 as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 116789

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Back in '75 when I got my #3 Hornet I used a Weaver one piece base the fit the contour and hole pattern at the rear of the barrel. Cut it off just behind the rear sight and made a spacer to fit under it between the base and barrel. It's been on there ever since and is rock solid. I killed a bajillion squirrels, lots of crows & magpies, couple hundred rock chucks, a few coyotes and assorted other critters with it over the years. I loves 40 gr Speer and Sierra .224 Hornet bullets over 11.5 gr H4227 and the 45 Hornady over 12.5 H110 and now 12.5 gr Lil'gun. For cast it shines with the 225438. I have just about shot the 16" twist barrel out over the years.

I found accuracy was best (sub moa) with the front end floated and the barrel band removed. I also found fire formed cases with just enough of the neck sized for the bullet seating depth to give the best accuracy. FL dies will not do this as the very thin necks of the Hornet case stretch crooked when pulled over the expander. I went to a Redding bushing die and highly recommend it for use with Hornets as I load all my Hornets (have 4 of them and have loaded for 5 - 7 others over the years). I also use the Lyman M die with the expander reshaped to a much sharper profile to enter the case. That has, especially with jacketed bullets, put an end to scrunched case necks.

Hope you enjoy your #3 as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 116789
    you have given me a couple things to think about, I do have a box of misc weaver bases...and I do prefer one piece bases over two pc bases. any chance you can measure your spacer for me and give me a head start? (I suppose I could just measure the OD of the barrel at the two locations and do the math. if I have to )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Larry's method would work well using a rail for the mount proper and the normal Weaver front base turned into a shim.
    Cut the front base to match the rail gap and then run long 6X48 screws through the rail and the cut down front base.
    EDG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Larry's method would work well using a rail for the mount proper and the normal Weaver front base turned into a shim.
    Cut the front base to match the rail gap and then run long 6X48 screws through the rail and the cut down front base.
    Well, I found a used rear weaver base at the gunshow last weekend...and found the front one on fleabay last night. we'll see how it looks when I get it and if it needs shimming as the Weaver chart suggests 'may' be required...If I end up needing to shim, I may as well try what you suggest.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speak of the devil, I ran across a #3 today in 45-70 that was before any were drilled and tapped. I didn't get the serial number but it's beautiful with a bright plum receiver and potentially available. Now to negotiate

Moderator Emeritus

Well, the NEW front base arrived today from fleabay.
    it sits about .125" higher than the vintage rear base I got at the gunshow (that is after I take the taper of the barrel into consideration)...it is stamped 85...but on closer inspection it could possibly be 35, but it has the same footprint and crosspin location and conture to match the #3's barrel...but it is real thin.
    So I am ordering a NEW rear base from fleabay today...from the photo it looks thicker than the vintage one form the gunshow. I guess I'll be waiting another 5 days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    This is the best combo I have found that I like. Weaver 85, 86 bases, Weaver med. height offset bases. The scope is an older Burris Mini, they have a six inch eye relief. Getting the scope forward and up a little so I can get my big old fingers in there to load was a challenge and this is 375 win. the hornet will be even harder. Good luck

Name:	No 3a.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	117586

Name:	No 3b.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	117587

Boolit Grand Master
    Loading the scoped #3 in 22 Hornet has a bit of a trick to it.......with the lever fully open, bring the rifle to "low-ready" position, about 40* angle. Lay a live cartridge atop the contoured falling block's top surface. Slowly start raising the lever/block, and soon the cartridge will scoot into the chamber by gravity assist.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 NIB Ruger #3 in 375 Win. The barrels are drilled and tapped for scope mount bases. Weaver makes bases for them, Ruger did have bases, rings for them at one time, maybe still do?

Boolit Buddy
    Any one piece base on a Ruger #3 is going to be a CUSTOM base. Neither Ruger, nor anyone else I can think of ever offered a one piece base for a #3 as a regular production item.

Yea, no factory 1 piece base. The quarter rib for #1 won’t work on #3. If you have heavy cal #3 I would be careful of front ring against end bell. I have had no trouble with Weaver bases and rings I would just like something steel and nicer. I’ve got 5 and have scopes on 3. The 223 has had Weaver bases, rings and scope since new in 70s. Shot a lot and no problems. Was my main cruz’n piece for in truck and walking fence lines for varmits. Good 300yd rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast