RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Odd Trail Boss behaviour.

Boolit Master

Question Odd Trail Boss behaviour.

I have been using trail boss a long time, but recently I got some odd behavior from one batch. Powder looks fine and smells fine. Heck it's a new can just opened. I am seeing a slight bump in recoil in 45lc with 250grain rnfp lead. But the WEIRD part is that AFTER firing I get just the slightest hint of old pee (ammonia) out of every third or fourth shot. I went back to the powder and double checked, no red dust, no urine smell. And heck the recoil ain't enough to make me pee myself so I am kinda at a loss on this one.

Ideas?

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

different lots of powder vary ( it's why they state "anytime a component is changed reduce and safely work back up " ) from lot to lot , it's why when at all possible mass quantities are preferred ,dropping the load back should negate the extra umm kick
    no help however on the smell altho i do know that most powders have their own umm aroma ( some i even recognize )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Unique is my favorite bouquet. Good, can Ya give us the lot number. I have a mostly used keg I have been using for some time and newer full Keg. I use it for several cartridges, in 45 Colt I use it under a 200gr boolit for my Bond Derringer in 45 Colt Only. Helps keep the POI down closer to POA per recoil.

prs

Banned

Are they getting crushed? I thought that will increase the pressure by changing the burn rate.

Boolit Master
    Shouldn't be getting crushed load is by volume 85% of case capacity...

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    I've heard that from my lgs about the urine smell. I used it for awhile but I never got it. They were using it in 300 aac I was using it in 500 sw.

Boolit Buddy
    Smell of burned powder is the very last thing for me to worry about.

As long as pressure is fine and powder does what it suppose to do it can smell like a rotting coon for all I care

Come to think of it I had a guy asking me once what's in the my bullet lube,it smelled so nice to him.
    He turned out to be married to florist...