Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: New at Fire Lapping - questions

Boolit Master

New at Fire Lapping - questions

I found that when I slugged my Marlin Guide gun, the slug stopped under the rear sight, and required a little push to get it past... so I must have an bit of a bulge there. Besides that, I have noticed some tool marks in the barrel (chattering) that I would like to smooth out.

I know that there are fire lapping kits out there, but wonder how hard it is to put what I need together and do it without a kit. I cast for the rifle, so there's no problem getting cast boolits.

Any tips would be appreciated...

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Just get some lapping compound and lightly wipe it on the bullit and fire it. Lightly, dip it in, and wipe it off leaving a slight coating.Works for me.

Go up to the "Barrel Works" sub-forum and find this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l=1#post396943
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master
    I just roll mine between 2 pieces of steel plate, and use 320 grit valve lapping compound. And before anyone screams "320 will scratch up your barrel!", try it. The grit breaks down very quickly on it's trip up the barrel, and they shine like a mirror when done.

Pick out an easily identifiable tool mark near the muzzle, and stop when you just begin to see it getting worked on. On my long barreled Marlin Cowboy, I shot 5 shot strings, and cleaned in between. You want the boolits working on the barrel, not on the fouling of the previous string. After about every 10, you could see the much shinier portion of the barrel extending towards the muzzle, which was very interesting.

I have lapped quite a few, and have nothing negative to say about the process. It works. I'll be doing another today in fact..

Banned
    dubber has it right. Roll the bullets with compound between steelplates, impregnate the grit into the bullet. Use a light load, very light load. Clean between each shot.

Perm-Banned
    if you shoot a couple of hundred paperpatched bullets through it after you use the compound bullets it will shine like never before. dont use any lube on the paper. they talk about questions like this up on the smokeless paperpatching part of cast boolits all the time. you could even lube the paperpatched bullets with huts plastic polish and let it dry on the paper. the barrel would look like chrome.