Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would anybody want to own a real working Traffic Light

Boolit Buddy

Would anybody want to own a real working Traffic Light

This is not what you would call a classifieds listing, I was just posting this to gauge any interest in the light and if so then further arrangements could be made, if this is in anyway against the rules Mods, please delete the post or move it.
    Last year we had a very large fish tank and as things go, my wife got tired of the fish tank in the living room and wanted to rearrange. I advertised the fish tank on Craigslist and got several responses but no serious offers. I finally had a young couple who really wanted the tank but couldn't afford the whole amount so they asked if I would take a working traffic light in trade. I know what you must be thinking, is he crazy? Why would anyone want a traffic light. Well, he had it all fixed up with a plug in wall cord and separate switches on the side for each light to be on or off and to honest it was really neat. I had plans of putting it in my reloading/man cave. It is the large version, having 12" LED bulbs and is most beautiful at night, especially when you have all 3 colors on. I had even thought about using at my little firing range or someone could use it at their gun club when the range is hot or safe by using the red or green light. Well, I have it sitting in a closet and it will never get used for the purpose I wanted it for, so I was wondering if anyone might be interested in doing what I was going to do with it. You would of course want to be local to pick it up, or it would have to be shipped by truck freight which I would think would be very expensive. Anyhow, I was just throwing it out there to gauge interest.

Last edited by DeputyDog25; 09-16-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Boolit Master

DON'T JUST GIVE IT AWAY!!!!! That one obviously is one of the newer ones and maybe not worth so much but a shop here locally had some older ones for as much as $400 a few years ago, even some ratty looking ones were over a hundred bucks. I think the cost new is in the thousands each but it's the older ones that the collectors and hotrodders go for, for sure there is a good market for those things and you shouldn't have any trouble selling it.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Definitely..... sell that thing. It's worth something!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy

I wouldn't know where to begin selling something like this. I had put it on Craigslist at one time but got no response.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I have 6 hanging in my shop- ranging from 1950's vintage with 8" lenses to one very similar to yours with 3- 12" lenses. From the looks of things you have a plastic body light there, obviously less desireable thatn the aluminum (unless I am mistaken and yours IS aluminum), the fact that the lights all work is good news and there are several sources for sequencers that will allow the lights to go through thier cycle. My plastic body 3 light I scored at a yard sale for $25, BUT I had to make reflectors, rewire it, buy a sequencer, and bulbs. Yours is all LED vice incandesent, and is working- if you were closer I would be interested in buying. They have to have old car shows/ meets in your neck of the woods, I'd stop by one of those- somebody will want it- In fact I was up at the A&W in Port Orchard last month and a guy was doing a pretty good business with old signs & lights.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Actually, I thought you were in the Pensacola area not Baker county (memory being what is is for us old guys)- my wife is up in Jax about once a month, if you can meet her in Jax....
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Perma-Banned

If you were closer, I would buy it to put on my dock up at the lake. Makes it easy for people to find the dock when out on the lake at night and are not really familiar with the lake. There is about 400 miles of shoreline and it can be daunting if you are an occasional visitor and not used to being on a big lake at night.

Boolit Master

Kinda reminds me of when I went thru customs in Cancun. That......was interesting.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    Actually, I thought you were in the Pensacola area not Baker county (memory being what is is for us old guys)- my wife is up in Jax about once a month, if you can meet her in Jax....
    My light is all aluminum and in really great shape. The paint is a little faded but otherwise all is in great working condition. I sent you a pm regarding a meeting in Jacksonville for the light.

If it is works and has UV damage I suspect whoever you got it from stole it considering it does have the new LED illuminators.

In Remembrance
    Why would you automatically assume it is stolen??

Boolit Master
    Cause that is the was people get new lights.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Because they are made under contract and you can not simply call up the manufacturer and get an Official Model. However, some of the City Jurisdictions have started offering broken ones that have been replaced through their "Salvage" offices. Some people were also smart enough to make the City turn over the damaged lights when they found out their insurance company was billed for the replacement and not the repair, but again, those are extremely few and very far between. I had nearly gotten in trouble when I sold mine. It had been my father in laws from the '60's .
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Grand Master

We recently purchased a couple for work. No issues with ordering them. Some sites below if you want to order some.

http://www.trafficlights.com/polysigs.htm

http://trafficlightwizard.com/

http://www.lanecontrols.com/traffic-lights/

http://rygtraffic.com/

Only if it will make Obama and the Democrats stop when it turns red.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Same type of people that pulled all the wiring out of street lights for blocks around.

Boolit Master

See quite a few of the older ones at the flea market and junktique stores around here - generally they ask $50 to $125, depending if they're wired up or not. Most don't have sequencers.

Boolit Master

I would sure like to put one in my drive way, I could cause traffic jams at will.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Moderator Emeritus

Some went for $100+ on ebay...

[QUOTE=shoot-n-lead;2933778]If you were closer, I would buy it to put on my dock up at the lake. Makes it easy for people to find the dock when out on the lake at night and are not really familiar with the lake. There is about 400 miles of shoreline and it can be daunting if you are an occasional visitor and not used to being on a big lake at night.[/QUOTE

BINGO! I knew a guy that had one on Lake Wateree and it sure was nice to see when coming back to the landing at night and not knowing exactly where you were. Now days everybody's got a GPS.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast