Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Harbor Freight Bench

Boolit Buddy

Harbor Freight Bench

Evening

So I need a new and bigger loading bench now that I have more space. I am seriously considering the 60 inch Harbor freight bench. For those that have it. Is it strong enough? Specifically I am concerned about top flex. The bench I have now is 1.5 inches of Ply on top of 2x6's 12 inches apart and crossbraced. I want to have something at least this sturdy if not more so. I can screw it into the wall (hopefully, its an outside wall so would have to go into the block with tapcons) and can even weigh it down with several hundred lbs of lead and brass. I could make this thing weigh as much as a car so movement would not be a problem I am like I said mostly concerned with top flex. I would rather not have to buy something only to have to heavily modify it. For the cost of this I could get the lumber for it but if time is included in there, no way it makes sense to build if this will really work well. Would be for 1 progressive , maybe another progressive in the future and my single stage and of course all the little stuff.

Hope to get some opinions from those that use this sucker for both pistol and rifle loading. Swaging may also be in the future.

Thank you

Boolit Master
    I looked at both and went with the Sam's Club bench.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-h....ip?navAction=
    [

Boolit Buddy
    I have one. Very sturdy. No flex in the top and I don't have it mounted to anything. That said, I use it for a single stage press (Rock Chucker), sizing and lubing. Not sure what your plans are. I love having the drawers and that's what put it over the top for me. Place to store dies and moulds as well as primers and tools. You may/will need to plug the holes. 3/4" dowel cut into plugs worked for me. The lower shelf is not for storing heavy weight. Maybe 50 pounds tops. Glue everything during assembly.

I have one too. They are sturdy. I use mine for everything from reloading to gun cleaning to general household carpentry. A good buy.

Boolit Buddy

I have a HF bench. Top is about 3/4" - 1" thick hardwood with around a 2" hard wood edge border added to make the top look thicker than it really is. I wood glued and screwed it together and plugged the wood working clamping holes with plastic hole plugs from the hardware store. I mounted my Lee Classic turret press to the bench using the Lee quick change metal plate to spread the forces over a larger surface area and haven't had any problems with flex. Buy it only if on sale or if you have a discount coupon else the price is too high, IMHO.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

I've got one and it serves me well. I drilled holes to match my equipment and used brass inserts in the holes so if I need the bench for other things I could just unbolt the press/sizer or whatever else was in the way and still have a flat service.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have 2 and they are good. Solid top.

I had to sit 'em on 4x4 oak beams because I am 6'1" and the thing was designed by shorty Chicoms! Got the top up to a comfortable level for me.

You won't tear down a 440 hemi engine on it but for normal shop work and loading, it is fine.

Watch for a sale and then use the 20% coupon!

banger

Boolit Mold
    I agree with the other post on the height, I am 6' 2" and depending on how you will use it, then it may be a little short while standing, but if you plan on sitting on something then the height may not be an issue. And yes by all means use the 20 % off coupon.

In Remembrance

A friend gave me his set of bench plans he got from the NSSF. Talk about something heavy and not moving!Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    The HF benches are nice, light to move if needed, and relatively sturdy. As I said, I have 2.

Now.........my OTHER benches in the big wood/metal shops are made of 4x4 solid oak frames with the top made of THREE 3/4" thick MDF sheets glued together! Trimmed with 1x3 hard maple all around. Tool well all along the back. Talk about solid and heavy. With wood vises on both ends and 3/4" "pin" holes along the front, I can clamp anything down for planing, sanding, whatever. An overkill for simple loading, but perfect for woodworking!

You build or buy what you need!!!

banger

Boolit Master
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-32-...5709/204417828

6000 lb capacity for 2 legs. So that would be about 9000 lbs for 3 legs per table.

Buy 3 sets and you can make 2 tables with 3 legs each that will hold up anything including a 440 Hemi.
    Mine have a 2" thk X 30" X 8ft top.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post

6000 lb capacity for 2 legs. So that would be about 9000 lbs for 3 legs per table.

Buy 3 sets and you can make 2 tables with 3 legs each that will hold up anything including a 440 Hemi.
    Look like good legs! Cross brace them to form "triangles" (the strongest geometric shape known) and you would have a VERY solid base for a bench top! Does not take very thick material to form those cross braces.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Checked it out and for my use since I load while sitting and also that I am short and have a thick base on my presses for mounting, it is WAY too tall. Looks like it is building time gonna only save me about 40 bucks and going to take forever but oh well at least it is cooling down. Too bad I don't own any of my big WW tools anymore

On Heaven's Range

For the benefit of those who may wonder....

A standard kitchen table is 30 to 31 inches high. My kitchen chairs measure 19" from seat to floor. My wheelchair measures 18" from seat to floor.

My Harbor Freight bench is 34" from top to bottom, and I load from my wheelchair with perfect ease and comfort. I wouldn't want it any higher OR lower.... I think I just was very lucky in my choice of bench.

It would be pretty simple to shorten the overall height by up to seven inches by reducing the leg length.

I believe this bench is an incredible bargain at the price.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Just a thought for those of you building benches. If you buy leg sets like shown just have the lumber yard/store order you an 1-3/4 thick 3 foot solid core door with no knob hole drilled. It will be 3 feet wide....you can get narrower if you like and 6 foot 8 inches long. And trust me....they are heavy. I use them in my cabinet shop for work benches.

Boolit Master

I looked at the HF bench and the top appears to be sturdy enough. Drawers are a plus, but the lower parts appear to be press board or vinyl cover MDF.

At least that's what it looked like to me. The Sams bench really does seem very stout. They also carry a cabinet that fits under one side of the bench.

Still undecided as I want to store my boolits on the bottom. I believe the extra weight might might keep it on the floor better.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Moderator Emeritus

I used a set of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-33-...DqsaAtla8P8HAQ for my radio desk. The ability to mount 4 outlets on it for power is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post

Boolit Master
    Home made bench. Top is a solid core door. It does not flex. Legs and other supports are 2x4. Have a plywood shelf approximately 8" of the floor. Ends and back of bench are inclosed in plywood. Think I used 1/2" AC. Built in in early 70's. It doesn't move or flex.

I once made a workbench out of salvaged 2x4, that I picked up at a demolition site, and carried home in my Chevy Celebrity wagon (five bonus redneck points for that). I joined the lumber for the top by gluing the 3 1/2" sides together and using all-thread through drilled holes to tighten it up. The thing is a horse; no flex, no movement. My ex-wife still has it, but I don't think I could have moved it to PA, in any case.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Generous Donator

I have used metal legs from Grainger and solid doors to make work benches where I used to work. We had lots of solid doors lying around. My present reloading bench is a cabinet on wheels that I modified. When I get my reloading room a little more organized I can post pictures. Just had the room built.