Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only ONE 45/70 mould...

Boolit Buddy

If you could have only ONE 45/70 mould...

Got started boolit casting about 2 yrs ago. Have two, maybe three 45/70s: a NEF/H&R Handi-Rifle w/22" barrel, a 32" BC barrel to go with and a 1895 Marlin. Early on, I read from a very credible source (if I mentioned the name, you'd know him) that for a guy like me that hunts and shoots only informally, the mould to have is the Lyman 457193.

On that say-so, I promptly went out & bought one and got about casting, loading & shooting those approx 400gr boolits. Shot pretty good too. Have yet to harvest game with one, but that's coming...

However, since this purchase, I've heard/read many times that for the 45/70 shooter that needs ONLY ONE mould, it should be the RCBS 45-400-FN. You can buy that mould and never think of another one. I'm not even the least little bit unhappy with #457193. But I have lost sleep at night over this...well, maybe not ALL night, but you know..

So, what is special about this RCBS mould? What's it got that the 457193 (or any other mould) hasn't got?? Very curious as to why the RCBS gets such high marks over the many others that must be available...I'm sure I don't know the half of it.

Boolit Master
    If I was to only have a single 45-70 mold it would be the Lee hollow Base mold. SKU#90268 459-405-HB

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

dl,

If you're happy with the Lyman I wouldn't worry about it. I prefer Lyman/Ideals over all others for a variety of reasons.

RCBS moulds are top notch, don't get me wrong. And I'm sure that the 45-400 is a fine one. But unless you just want one, why try to fix what ain't broke?

Welcome to the forum too.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    My Steve Brooks PP 520gr. At the present time, all of my 45 caliber rifles are Sharps single shots.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nothin's wrong with the 457193, but thank goodness we don't have to have just one mold... of any caliber.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I have the only mold I use for my lever

The core of my kill anything that walks on the planet round

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	116509
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

I have the 457193, the Ranch Dog 350, and the Accurate 46-405K
    The 457193 has a problem in the 1895 in that the nose is too long to both fit the throat and feed, to say nothing of the fact that those rifles need a boolit with a diameter of .460.
    The 46-405K drops .460, feeds like a champ, and hits like a hammer.
    The RD 350 eats gas checks, but fits like a glove, and hits hard.
    Of the three, the RD and the Accurate are the best, and I can't decide between the two which I like better, but I have to confess, I lean towards the Accurate.
    If you have a rifle with a groove diameter of .455-.456, then the Lyman would do very well. I just haven't ever found a rifle with that tight a groove diameter yet.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I have the Handi 45-70 and started out with the Lyman 457193. Unfortunately, I found that I needed to size at .459 for best accuracy and the Lyman just wasn't cutting it. I recently acquired a NOE 460-405 (Swede's version of the 457193) which sizes perfectly to .459 and produces 1-2" groups at 100 yards. This is my 4th NOE mold and I will keep going back for more as I need them.

Boolit Master
    Regarding your question about the #193 vs. the similar RCBS mould, I've used both in a variety of rifles. I could tell no appreciable difference in accuracy or anything else, except the RCBS design is cut for a gas check. MY RCBS mould is long gone. However, if you plan on shooting at higher velocities, I suppose the RCBS gas check design might have an advantage over the Lyman plain base.

Boolit Master

I have several, but if I could only have one it would be the Lyman 457193.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I have 3 molds for 45 that I use in 45-70 and 45-90 both lyman 457125 420 grn roundnose ( lapped out to fit bores and drop at .459), A Lyman postell 535 grairn ( converted to nose pour just cause I could do it myself) and a Steve Brooks adjustable PP money style that casts from 400-600 grns. All shoot extremely well in both rifles and seem to work in any rifle we put them in. If it works why worry about it.

Boolit Grand Master

"only one mould"

Why?

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "only one mould"

Why?

Larry Gibson
    I might ask the op's question about different calibers. Not because I want to limit myself, but bcause the answer from experienced casters would probably be a good choice for a first mold, especially since I am just getting started myself. Although that doesn't seem to be the op's motivation.

Boolit Buddy

My Paul Jones 45010 casting at .462 diameter for my 45-70 Springfield.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    ..... However, if you plan on shooting at higher velocities, I suppose the RCBS gas check design might have an advantage over the Lyman plain base.
    So by "higher velocities" how fast are you referring?

Boolit Man

My favorite is the NOE 460-405 RG-2 GC version. It casts a 385gr flat point with my alloy (RS/lino 10:1 blend, water-dropped to 25 BHN) that feeds 100% in my Marlin and refuses to lead even driven to Buffalo Bore/Garrett levels. It's my go-to close-range selection for Alaska as well as elk and black bear in the lower 48. The HP is around 360 if I recall correctly and makes a good general purpose, target, soft-skinned game bullet.

Boolit Master
    As a rough estimate, I'm referring to velocities in excess of 1,500-1,600 fps with good accuracy and no leading. However, alloy and bullet fit must be perfect or very close to it for such results with a plain base bullet. The gas check adds a degree of forgiveness if all is not quite right with alloy strength and fit. Just makes things a little easier.

Like many of us have found, recoil becomes a significant factor anytime you shoot 400+ grain bullets at higher velocities. Personally, 1,300 - 1,400 fps is plenty with a .45-70, particularly if the rifle is on the light side. The #193 bullet is an excellent one; so is the RCBS gas-checked version. After years of shooting these heavier bullets, I find the Lyman #457122 HP at about 330 grains at 1,500 fps to be ideal for .45-70 shooting and and it's as accurate as the other two at typical .45-70 hunting ranges, 125 yards or so.

Boolit Master
    I have 1 mold for the 45-70 as of now.
    It's from MM molds and it weights 325+-.
    The way its working now i can't really see why i would need another.

OK,maybe one about 400+- for the really large and scary critters.

Banned

mine is super close to lead fred's it's even made by the same company.

unfortunately it's on loan from another member so I really don't have a 45/70 mold.
    but I have made a couple thousand of them so far, so I should be just about all set for forever,,,,, I guess.
    maybe after another session or two.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    However, since this purchase, I've heard/read many times that for the 45/70 shooter that needs ONLY ONE mould. . .
    and you'll hear this at least once - That is a REALLY stupid notion!!!

Don't get me wrong - I like the RCBS 405 FPGC a lot. It's a screaming accurate slug for short/middle distances. If all you had was the short barrels, you could own that mold and be very happy.

HOWEVER: You have in your 32" barrel the potential for some truly impressive long range work. There is the 1884 500 grain government slug, the NASA's, the Money, the Postell - all suitable for reaching across multiple zip codes.

One mold for .45-70?? That's crazy talk!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.