MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: when did this powder shortage actually start ?

Boolit Master

when did this powder shortage actually start ?

I dont think I remember the last time I saw a place that had everything in stock

Bill Clinton's first term, second month, in February I think. By the time Bush was in, manufacturers started that "just in time" manufacturing stuff. That prevented reserves from being able to handle "surge" buying.
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 09-15-2014 at 09:51 PM.

In Remembrance

What shortage? My LGS has rifle and pistol powder instock. I have been able to find what I need all along. Had to order the HOLY BLACK though. No place around here sell it. Bass Pro that just opened here is filing for the permits etc. to sell real black powder. Then I won't have to pay the hasmat anymore.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    What shortage? My LGS has rifle and pistol powder instock. I have been able to find what I need all along. Had to order the HOLY BLACK though. No place around here sell it. Bass Pro that just opened here is filing for the permits etc. to sell real black powder. Then I won't have to pay the hasmat anymore.
    What part of tn?

It was apparently very regional....I've been able to find anything I needed all along. Maybe not exactly what I WANTED, but I've never been without. I could get Varget, W231, H4350, RL17, RL19, AA#5 and Titegroup through the worst of it, and to really test your nerves....Bullseye. My super secret LGS never ran out. Always had powder...always had primers. If not for hazmat regs.....I could have been sharing the wealth, and maybe have been the next 'Golden Bullet' here.

I do feel some kind of survivor's remorse...I can't imagine not being able to find any powder to work with. Scary.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    it is not like that in Reno by any means

Boolit Master

The recent shortage? First Tuesday of November in 2008...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

LGS over here just has rifle powder, pistol/shotgun season is here and that powder is gone.

Boolit Master

The current Mother of all shortages had it's beginnings with the Newtown tragedy December 14, 2012. As soon as the anti-gun faction started talking about gun legislation the 22LR dried up, around the end of January 2013. By the end of March 2013, most common center fire calibers were gone from the shelves. Reloading components and reloading equipment soon followed.

Supplies went down, prices went up. Colorado, Connecticut and New York legislators went nuts. It is my personal opinion that shelves full of 22LR bricks is a long way off.

It will take a while for the fear of no ammo to fade from memory.

I hope I'm wrong.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    I blame the 300AAC shooters for the scarcity of AA1680, that and the (now)hindsight of the cartridge developers of putting most of their eggs in one basket. Note to new developers....rounds need to work with lots of different powders, not just one or two. Powder is slowly reappearing, our local gun shop says they've had everything, even 22's all along and that is partially true but easy financing was available. Things seem to be slowly coming back at a permanently elevated price. I think the industry figured why not, that is what the market will bear. The only thing not going up are the working man's wages.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    The current Mother of all shortages had it's beginnings with the Newtown tragedy December 14, 2012. As soon as the anti-gun faction started talking about gun legislation the 22LR dried up, around the end of January 2013. By the end of March 2013, most common center fire calibers were gone from the shelves. Reloading components and reloading equipment soon followed.

Supplies went down, prices went up. Colorado, Connecticut and New York legislators went nuts. It is my personal opinion that shelves full of 22LR bricks is a long way off.

It will take a while for the fear of no ammo to fade from memory.

I hope I'm wrong.

You are right it will take some time before this will blow over.Also with the new shooters that started some do not know what the price of things use to be so they are willing to pay the price that is there.Those of us that been at this for years know how things would go and hope have enough to last this.if not find some other way to ride this out.I know the hand write was on the wall .like you stated for when it really hit.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy

I got an email from an online site telling me that the primers I order 18+ months ago came in. So long ago that I had forgotten I even ordered them. That was about the peak of the shortage around here. Started about the time we forgot what happens every time we elect a liberal president. Got worse if you also had a lib in the state capital like NY, CT or CA.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

We had a run on components and some guns during the Clinton term when the assault weapons ban was passed. The current run on components started the day after the November, 2008 election of Obama.....the run on certain types of rifles and handguns started shortly after and then again when Obama and the dems started the gun control ban 'em all talk.

The shortage is real and has been real in most every part of the west, southwest and south I've been in since it started.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I think its origins started in the Summer of '08, during the presidential campaign when Hillary and Obama were duking it out. The astute didn't need tea leaves or bones to know that a drastic change had already started.

Boolit Mold
    Well the good news is that the supply is improving in most parts of the country. Here in NC we can get 22LR pretty easy, still not as low in cost as it was but that will not happen till the memory of the panic buying fades. Power and primers can be found, just not all brands of powders all the time. I used to use 231 in almost all my pistols, but I found that unique and tight group work well as backups.

Prices doubled during the Clinton era! I'm just now getting low on supplies from then. Smack bang in the middle of another shortage. A lifetime supply be WILL be stocked up, as soon as it gets better. But, how do you know your shooting interests in the future? I know, get it all!

Boolit Grand Master
    Just wait until Hillary gets elected. Then it will start all over again.

Boolit Master
    Just wait until Hillary gets elected. Then it will start all over again. - It will

Boolit Master
    Since ben carson says hes running in 2016, hillary is toast.