MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: what pot for smelting ?

Boolit Buddy

what pot for smelting ?

hello guy! i ask you what pot can i use for smelting the alloy for boolits ?
    thanks for the help

Boolit Master

Lots of things can be used. An old steel cook pot or an empty propane tank cut in half. I used a nasty old cast iron ditch oven picked up at a thrift store for a few bucks. Don't use aluminum or galvanized and you should be ok

Boolit Buddy
    Petroid thanks for the answer, but because you can not use aluminum ?

Boolit Master

Best to use a cast iron pot like a Dutch oven.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beppe View Post
    Petroid thanks for the answer, but because you can not use aluminum ?
    Aluminum will start to weaken at high temps and will eventually break and can cause a dangerous situation.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes.......DO NOT use an aluminum pot. As said, Al get very weak when it gets hot and you do not want a molten lead shower on you legs & feet!

Stick with CI or steel as said.

banger

What about enamelled steel? The way I see it worst case is the enamel flakes off, but I've been known to be wrong ...

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind at the temps were working at 3 times cooking temps normally, things act alot diffrently. Any Heavy steel Stainless steel or cast iron pot works. Enamalled coating may burn off at these temps but should float and flux out also. I used a dutch oven for almost 20 years before it finally cracked. I know have a vut down 25lb propane tank made up for a pot thats working great. Mine holds 100+ plus lbs of alloy. First thing to do is determine several things, How much do you want to melt in a batch and alloy? What are all the uses for this pot ie alloing only or casting also? The area you have to set up and work in? remeber to allow for "escape routes" in case of an accident. A how much work or money you want to invest in this set up.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear re: enamel. Also, it's only on the outside so I don't have to worry about it getting into my smelt. Awesome.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I would totally avoid enamelled anything as the temps are far over their design.

Just stick to what we all use with great success for decades.......CI and/or steel.

banger

Stainless steel stewpot from Walmart works for me, $6.97 for the 6qt. There's also an 8qt but I don't know the price. No wandering around looking at garage sales etc.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

One thing that will probably happen if you heat up an enamel pot to lead melting temps is that the enamel will start cracking, flaking off and bits will fly everywhere! Hot, sharp bits!

Boolit Master
    I use a Cabelas LP gas Cajun cooker, came with burner and stand and a huge cast iron pot. I think I paid about $50
    I would guess it holds in excess of 100lb. Biggest problem I have, is that I leave it outside and the cast iron rusts a bit. It is a bit of a pain to flux it out of your melt. Not a bad buy.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master

Cast Iron, but not cheap Chinese cast iron. They are prone to cracking. Buy Lodge, please don't destroy old CI cookware if you can avoid it.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    I use an enameled 12 quart pot for smelting, done 1600 lbs over a weed burner and no cracking or chipping of the enamel yet, works great.

Glad it works for you. The only reason I mentioned the cracking is because I once experienced it while heating something over a gas burner. Wasn't very nice.

Boolit Master

A good cast iron dutch oven with a lid work's the best ! cast iron holds the heat longer and the use of a lid speeds up melting time , i drilled a small hole in the lid and inserted a turkey fryer thermometer to moniter temps to keep under 650 degrees so zinc wont contaminate smelt .

guys if you want a good smelting pot use a steel pot or check out my add in S & S I have a steel pot that I made over 20 years ago and still use it I don't use aluminum for the obvious reasons and I do not use cast iron because I had one crack on me one time use steel and you will never have a problem D Crockett

Boolit Buddy
    Ss pot works great, just try to get one with metal handles.