RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Holland & Holland Paper Patch

375 Holland & Holland Paper Patch

This is my first try at Smokeless Paper patching, Remington 700, 375 H&H

RCBS 37-250-FN--------sized @ 0.368----------patched to--0.378------------Johnsons Paste Wax on the paper to slick the it up for re-sizing----------------final sized to 0.3765

groove diameter is 0.3755

Wheel Weights +2 % tin--------------composition pad paper wet wrapped oven dried

40 grains IMR 3031 cuz i got some

first 3 shots just to see what happens-----------they all went off

No leading --like "0" !!!!!------------patch completely confettied

Lyman says 45 grains max---------i'm going to try 40-42 and 44 and see what primers look like------if pressure seems ok I'll step up on 1 grain increments until some signs of pressure show up----i'm betting it will go above 50 grains (i have researched a little and see loads of 53 grains behind 300 grain PP slugs)

I'll pick a nice load that's easy on pressure and hopefully around 2200 FPS and load some for accuracy testing later in the week.

pics of slug before and after patching----loaded round and loaded j-word round

Dave

Looks like a very good start to a addiction! Once you see what this PP stuff can do you'll never want to shoot naked again.

Using 3031, 55gr. will give you right at 2200 fps and still be only 25,000 psi. If you have any accuracy issues, a bit of polyester or dacron fluff between the boolit and powder often helps with loads in that range.

Keep at it, you'll be hooked for sure!

-Nobade

That is looking very good. How does the patched boolit fit in the throat? The boolit needs to contact the rifling on chambering. Do you need to do the final sizing or even the initial sizing? Are you able to seat the boolits without sizing the necks? That's the holy grail. With some of my Brits I can seat the boolit by starting with finger pressure and finishing in the press and those babies can't be moved by recoil or fingers. It takes a firm pull in the puller to get them out. My trick there is to roll the patched boolits on the lube pad (with STP) prior to seating. The STP lubes the boolit on the way in then soaks away leaving a firm neck grip.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Hi Folks:

First thanks for the help that i have gained from all of YOUR previous work !!!!!!!

Thanks for the load target Nobade------------thats the range i think will be effective------------i have used this rifle for many years and did a complete overhaul on it reciently, stock refinish and rust blue-----------i've collected a variety of critters using 270 Gr Sierra's-------------this PP load should make a really good Whitetail round---------we'll see how it does on tough old Texas boar hogs !!!!!

I shoot PP BPCR so this wasn't a giant step but it does require a slightly different approach as you gentlemen know------turning and polishing sizing dies -----tuning up molds----tuning expanders------all part of the fun

When i get this bullet running i'll try the 270 or so grain from a new NOE mold ------really a handsome slug there.

The slug is just touching the lands--------fit seems excellent in that the base of the bullet is just at the diameter break in the neck of the case. When i get a bit further i'll certainly work on "0" sizing----my BPCR loadings are all "0" sizing. Currently i gound up an expander that gives me a "net fit" to the patched bullet diameter for about 0.050 inches in the case neck with the rest being about a 0.001 interference fit with the patch------------after initial assembly i pulled a couple of bullets and find no change in the bare slug diameter ----should be just about right---i'll load the magazine and see if anything moves around from recoil.

Again thanks----------hopefully pretty target pictures to follow

Dave

Of course the rifle will shoot better if you were to show us some pictures of it.

Looking forward to those soon to come target photo's.

I knew there was something i was forgetting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have some pics today with any luck

I have to revise my first sizing die -----the land length was too long causing too much pressure on the bullet base, as more than one slug went throught the die, force changed and varried the length of the bullets by setting back the nose

That revision will happen this morning, if all dimensions are then under control we will go for some accuracy tests.

Later

Dave

Hi 303-------------hope this improves the upcoming groups

Sizing die length is corrected all the bullets are now the same length as well as the same diameter upon in initial sizing.

With a little luck i'll make it to the range this weekend

Dave

In Remembrance

Look on page 4 of the Accurate molds on line catalog. Look down the page into the 37 caliber molds (9.3 cal.) to find dedicated molds for paper patching. Both the smooth sided molds as well as the grease grooved 9.3 molds work nicely in patching up to make .375 patched bullets.Robert

Thanks Robert-----------i'll sure check out that lead-------------as i progress and see what kind of results i get i may expand to a 300 grain bullet also.

I'm looking forward to trying the NOE i have as well--------nice looking slug for sure----both should do well on the hogs at the ranch.

I have a 416 Remington in a Dakota in the safe to play with next.

Again thanks for the direction

Dave

Beautiful. Thanks. Interesting grain and those loaded rounds look so good - if I had them I'd want to shoot them (and the rifle). I once handled a 375 but I don't recall if I fired it but I do recall the balance and fit of the rifle and how relatively light it was. I don't think I even looked at what gun it was. All the best for your shooting.

Hi 303---------this 700 is what was called a "Safari Grade"----------its rumored that these guns came out of the Remington custom shop, not real certain of that but it would explain the nicer stock.

Balance is excellent, both carrying and "offhand"-------just one of my favorites for hunting.

Hope it dries out a bit today and i can get to the range tomorrow and shoot around the thunder storms

Keep well and stay safe

Dave

Hi Dave,

You can tell if it is a custom shop gun by looking at the barrel markings. If you are familiar with the normal Remington roll marks, it won't have those. Rather the caliber for custom shop guns is usually hand stamped in very small letters, and it won't have the normal proof marks but rather different ones. Just FWIW.

-Nobade

Hi Nobade:

Thanks for the information i'll have a close look at the markings tomorrow------------the stock does have rosewood gripcap and fore-end tip.

It has always been an extremely accurate rifle---cloverleafs are not at all uncommon -----

Again Thanks

Dave

Hi Nobade:

I had a minute and got a pic of the barrel markings:

In your opinion do they shed any light on the possibility of the custom shop at Remington being involved in this rifle.

Thanks in advance

Dave

It looks like it was likely from the custom shop. Does it have the usual Remington rollmark on top of the barrel? Any shootin' results yet? I bet it's going to be a good one. That 375 H&H throat works particularly well with paper patch usually. The gentle funnel lets them get started straight and if you jam them hard into the lands there won't be any gas leaking.

-Nobade

Thanks for the feed back Sir-----------no other markings on the barrel-Remington 700 on the action !!!

With a little luck i'll be at the range Sunday afternoon------------tomorrow is a trip to the Houston Gun Collectors Show--------nice show for "real" rifles and hand guns------happens 3 times a year and always a good time--------with luck i'll pick up some 375 brass at a reasonable price.

And perhaps a new riflegun to play with

Range result to follow soon

Keep well and stay safe

Dave

Boolit Master
    Oooooo that is one fine lookin weapon, and looks as if it shoots well also!!
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Thanks Doc----------it has always performed well with Sierra store bought bullets-----we'll see how well i did with the paper patching very soon i hope

Dave

Well gentlemen i finally got a morning free to empty some brass.

Temp about 75 degrees, humidity about 50%--------sunny----dead still for wind----100 yards from sandbags.

Brass wet tumbled, annealed with the neck mouth polished---------CCI LRM primers

Starting at 45 grains of 3031 and finishing with 51 grains of the same yielded the above groups.

Recoil was pleasant-----NO LEADING AT ALL--------clean up was 3 patches after each 5 shot string

I looked for paper shreds and found only a few pieces of confetti so it seems the paper and sizing are a good match for the chamber and barrel.

The horizontal stringing must be me pushing things around, i always shoot this rifle with a firm shoulder and cheek---full house loads command respect.

Soooooooooooo seems any load 47 grains and up to 51 shoot just about the same with the 47 gr batch winning by a small margin.

Minute of hog is not too terrible for the first try

Any suggestions to tighten things up a bit ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Boolit Master
    Dave,

Some comments:
    1. Remove your scope turret caps and mark down the scope settings before you start shooting. See if your scope horizontal and vertical scope settings change from recoil.
    2. Try some W760 powder and see if the groups improve. My 375 H&H did well with W760 and a 235 gr. PPCB. I stopped shooting it to concentrate on my hi-vel 308W PPCB.
    3. Separate CB in 0.5 gr. lots.
    4. Check your PPCB runout to insure it's 0 to 0.002" or less.
    5. Dry brush the bore, at the range, to see if you feel more resistance in front of the chamber, or midway up the barrel or near the muzzle. This will tell if the PP is failing initially (PP being cut by entrance diameter of chamber forcing cone and requires smaller final sized O.D.) or mid barrel ( PP slipping), or near muzzle(PP slippage), or powder residue buildup (dry brush to remove powder residue after every five rounds to see if groups improve. If they do, find a better PP lube).

Enjoy the journey!

Best regards,

CJR
    Last edited by CJR; 09-25-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast