RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The reality of the horse and ranching by Duke Nukem

The reality of the horse and ranching by Duke Nukem

We started this proposed ranching venture 9 years ago.
    Now that Barbie broke her leg it looks like she won't be able to exert that much pressure on her leg to mount up.
    Well they said she could but due to the diagonal double break I don't feel she should at her age. Were 56.
    Also looking at the X-ray I myself decided I didn't want to end up like her either. At my age.
    Barbie was thinking she wouldn't be able to get her cows.
    I told her I have seen guys in Montana and WY using ATV's and side by sides to run and keep an eye on cows.
    Were opting for side by sides or UTV's as they call them. Kawasaki Terex 4 looks to fit the bill.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 10-21-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Boolit Master

No harm done in trying Duke. There's nothing wrong with going old-fashioned for the experience. Now you will appreciate the modern conveniences and they will boost your productivity. Along the way you picked up some skills that many have lost or forgotten or never even known or heard of.

Best wishes for speedy recovery to Barbie. Please keep us updated and I'm sure you'll share your observations on the experience of updating to modern tools from your pre-industrial beginning approach.

Bulldogger

Boolit Master
    Horse's are nice to look at, have great appeal to the past we all wish was still here, but I have never done well with them in a one on one setting!

Just to much animal to work with that can misunderstand what you want when you want it!

Bikes, ATV's etc don't think and are some what safer from that point of view but they can still be put in positions where you get hurt so be careful with them as well.

Some where along the line I had missed the move to ranching as a business, thinking you and Barbie were just looking to minimize "crowding" and Barbie was still doing the legal work in an office.

Hence my confusion when I read she had fallen at work, that is one tough law office, LOL!

Hope she recovers quickly and life gets better for both of you.

Love Life
    Welcome to the present!!! Now dye your hair black, wear your sister's pants, and get you a smart phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Welcome to the present!!! Now dye your hair black, wear your sister's pants, and get you a smart phone!

Smart phone? Who would call me?

Let's face it. I have always liked horses but they are bigger than we are and have a mind of their own and sooner or later they will hurt you. As one said, they are nice to look at.... I don't know how anyone runs a farm without an ATV. My 4 wheeler has wooden boxes mounted ford and aft and I can carry way more things on it than a horse, it doesn't move when I park it, I don't have to feed it when I'm not using it, I don't have to brush it down etc. I could go on and on. The Polaris Rangers or similar are great for more occupants. There is plenty to choose from and you will wonder why you didn't get one long before now. The horse on the farm has become just a pet and yard ornament though she was a good ride an at some point we get too old for that anyway. Sometimes you just have to mix the old with the new cause life doesn't get any easier as we age. Rest up and take care of her leg first.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Horse's are nice to look at, have great appeal to the past we all wish was still here, but I have never done well with them in a one on one setting!

Just to much animal to work with that can misunderstand what you want when you want it!

Bikes, ATV's etc don't think and are some what safer from that point of view but they can still be put in positions where you get hurt so be careful with them as well.

Some where along the line I had missed the move to ranching as a business, thinking you and Barbie were just looking to minimize "crowding" and Barbie was still doing the legal work in an office.

Hence my confusion when I read she had fallen at work, that is one tough law office, LOL!

Hope she recovers quickly and life gets better for both of you.
    She cocktails now and for the last 12 years also.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Smart phone? Who would call me?
    Friends? Family? Telemarketers?

Perma-Banned

Adam, I have one of the six wheel gators they are great. I would however recommend on of the standard 4 wheel ones over the 6 wheeler. The 6 wheeler can haul a ton of weight but frankly it has no suspension so it can be a rough ride. I really like the step in gators over ATV's They are just more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Friends? Family? Telemarketers?
    I'll have to check and see if anyone want to be my friend. I think most just tolerate me for entertainment value.

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Adam, I have one of the six wheel gators they are great. I would however recommend on of the standard 4 wheel ones over the 6 wheeler. The 6 wheeler can haul a ton of weight but frankly it has no suspension so it can be a rough ride. I really like the step in gators over ATV's They are just more comfortable.
    We have been looking at the Kawasaki TEREX 4 for awhile. We like the 4 seater.

Boolit Buddy

Have y'all ever raised cattle ? While it can be "romantic" it is pretty darn hard work. Cattle prices are very high presently and the equipment required is not cheap. Cattle ranching as a business takes very deep pockets. From what I have read y'all don't currently own any ranch property. If y'all want the experience ease on down toward one of the big feed lots around Amarillo and hire out as hands...riding fence will cure any doubts you may have had involving raising cattle.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by jumbeaux View Post
    Have y'all ever raised cattle ? While it can be "romantic" it is pretty darn hard work. Cattle prices are very high presently and the equipment required is not cheap. Cattle ranching as a business takes very deep pockets. From what I have read y'all don't currently own any ranch property. If y'all want the experience ease on down toward one of the big feed lots around Amarillo and hire out as hands...riding fence will cure any doubts you may have had involving raising cattle.

rick
    I get responses like this twice a year. <eyes rolling>
    I have no choice as far as getting cows go. I also don't plan on opening up a feed lot nor feed cows corn. Tell all that to the Africans and they'll laugh as they have been doing cattle 5000 years before TX was a state.
    They are for us......to eat.........
    Anyway what I intend to do with funds from liquidated homes is my own business.
    I'm also appalled that you feel that the rest of us have never had to work hard for a living as I gather.

Perhaps it is you that are making it hard for yourself
    I mean seriously. Your not out riding on a sickle mower pulled by two draft horses to put hay up for the winter.
    Yes http://www.landandfarm.com/ states TX has 36,982 ranches for sale. Hmmmmm Someones surely not doing something right that's for sure.
    I have also recently given up any desire to move to another "Police State" that's basically was worse than CA as of two years ago.

I take posts like this personally.
    People try to stone wall me by telling me "hey you can't do what I do because you have never done it before"
    They told me that about leather work, they told me about wood working, they also told me that about casting bullets.
    That's like telling a 21 year old couple that "you never had children so you know nothing about raising children so you should really think about sitting in front of the idiot box and watching re-runs instead of having children"

The other is I'm am usually dissuaded by someone else that profits from the many fabrication venues I'm pursuing in lieu on feared financial competition.

And to the others out there. Were getting the cows! Period! y'all
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-15-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    I know a lot of people in their 50's/60's and 70's who have permanent limps and/or other serious injuries due to horses.

Some like you have learned to let go and get rid of them. Others still think that they are 20 years old and are still riding.

I even new a waterski prodigy that had shattered all regional titles. He was on his way to becoming a World Champion Super Star. His parents spent hundred of thousands on this kid; even built him two private ski lakes!
    That all ended in a blink of an eye when his horse stepped on his foot.
    Six different surgeries in Dallas could not bring him back to normal.

You made a wise decision Duke.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 09-15-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Polaris has one that has a fence post pounder as an option on it, it is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. You might consider a shorter horse, so you don't have to jump too high to get into the saddle, I know I have used a picnic table more than once!
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    I see cows as a lot easier than Horses, they don't eat as much. You don't have to do the feet every 8 weeks at $20 a pop or more. If they break a leg you just eat then. Plus if you have good grass they keep it mowed.
    I like the small Toyota Pickup for a general ranch hauler.

Boolit Master
    If you hang around horses long enough you understand why they invented tractors.

Thanks guys. Steaks on me. lol

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My experiences with them: Cows = good. Horses = bad. Mustangs = worse. .... gimme the cows any day.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy

Duke I tell ya I don't see anywhere in my post that I questioned your work ethic, ability or desire...just trying my best to give you some unsolicited advice about ranching. I really could care less about liquidating houses, income or feeding cows in Africa. But, I have messed with cows and I was trying to suggest hiring out someplace and really seeing if you like the business. The slap about Texas is expected but not warranted...no slight intended on my part regarding your dreams. Heck jump in with both feet and get wet...btw steers taste better than cows...

rick

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast