WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Really did it this time

Really did it this time

I worry about myself sometimes. While cleaning up out in the garage found a coffee can filled with .223's. Screwed in the decapper sizer die and did 6 cases. The seventh one stuck. I'm so used to carbide I didn't stop to think about how bottleneck dies don't have carbide. Yep it's stuck big time. Will drop off at machine shop tomorrow and hope for the best.

It took me about 2 cases to start putting some kind of case lube on rifle cases.

Boolit Master

Put it in the freezer until tomorrow morning. Then use the press on it. It'll pull out. I did that with a 8 x57 case. Left it in the freezer for two days, case popped right out.

Quote Originally Posted by jabo52521 View Post
    I worry about myself sometimes. While cleaning up out in the garage found a coffee can filled with .223's. Screwed in the decapper sizer die and did 6 cases. The seventh one stuck. I'm so used to carbide I didn't stop to think about how bottleneck dies don't have carbide. Yep it's stuck big time. Will drop off at machine shop tomorrow and hope for the best.

I have a sneaking hunch that won't happen again anytime soon.....

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

I use a Lee decapping die for 223's with a dab of marvel mystery oil. If anything gets stuck I just smack the pin with a mallet to knock it back out.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    I use a Lee decapping die for 223's with a dab of marvel mystery oil. If anything gets stuck I just smack the pin with a mallet to knock it back out.
    That's how their built to be used.

What brand die is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Put it in the freezer until tomorrow morning. Then use the press on it. It'll pull out. I did that with a 8 x57 case. Left it in the freezer for two days, case popped right out.
    You were right. Got off this mornng. Thanks. Broke out the lube pad first thing.

That's were a Lee Universal decapping die really shines.

Even with carbide 223 dies, lube is still recommended. Carbide is for longevity.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...Three_Die_Sets_

"For high volume users, such as commercial reloaders, law enforcement agencies, and high power or service rifle competitors, we also offer .223 and .308 die sets with a full-length carbide sizing die. Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit to these groups of users."

Boolit Grand Master
    Look up a stuck case remover for the next time, when you pull the rim from the case. They aren't much more than a drill, tap, ¼-28 bolt and a spacer.

I had one of the RCBS kits at one time, until a friend offered me way to much money for it. Since then I have been making do with a deep well socket and a washer for the spacer.

For some reason it seems that the .223 is the easiest case to stick in a reloading die.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I stuck a 458 SOCOM (new from Starline, of course) recently in a Hornady sizer. I had plenty of imperial wax on the outside of the case but apparently needed more inside the neck, as it was the expander ball that was seriously stuck. I got the Hornady case remover, trilled and tapped the case and backed it out with the bolt and spacer. $2 per case hurts when lost/ destroyed

Boolit Master

Just stick the die in the freezer. Leave for a day or overnight. This works. Unless you're in a hurry and must load that cartridge that day. Some freeze spray might work (methyl cloride, I think).