WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Stock for Steyr M1895?

Boolit Grand Master

Stock for Steyr M1895?

I am still bruised from firing my Steyr M95 last Saturday, a full week ago. I would like to get an inexpensive sporter type stock to which I can add a Limbsaver. I would also like it to have a Monte Carlo since I am 6'2" and wear a 36"sleeve with the matching long neck.

I've checked with Boyd's and another stock maker I found mentioned on this site last week but neither do nor plan on cutting for the Steyr M95.

Does anyone know anyone who will inlet a stock for this rifle?

Yes, I also posted this on the Military Surplus Rifles website.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Just a thought, there are a lot cheaper ways to go. Slip on pad, lace on cheek? I do not shoot mine that often, but I do remember the cheek slap. You will end up two to three bills in on light side on a piece worth a buck and a half used on a good day. Maybe pick up second stock and fab in new material to custom fit. Good Luck. Gtek

Boolit Master

I just put a slip on recoil pad on my Steyrs when I shoot them. It handles the problem for a couple $ and I keep my milsurp intact.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

Well I will shooot straight from the hip here... I get requests all the time to restock grampa old double or Joe's old 22 that he loves and here is the rub, it costs just as much to restock a beater as it does a Purdy. Starting from a blank you will have just as many hours in labor in a M95 as any other custom rifle, so even if you leave off the checkering and stint on the finish a hand made stock will cost 6 times what you paid for the rifle. Boyd's stocks are cheap because there is liittle to no and labor in them, as soon as you start paying someone for hand labor at $20 an hour the costs go UP.

The solution is to find an old surplus stock and sand and reshape and add a recoil pad and then load light loads that won't punish you.

Boolit Grand Master

KC, I know that. I'm hoping someone is set up to machine cut a stock, thus removing all that hand work. I can do that, but I don't know how or have the time to hand inlet one. I guess they are just not popular enough for anyone yet to make the investment.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I have never seen one from the major makers. I would post on the various WTB sections in the usual forums for an already hacked original stock. Most people are looking for a unmolested one, so all you have to do is find someone who has a hacked one. Most who have them probably have no use for them.

Boolit Mold

Steyr M95 sporter stock.

My requirements for my sporter stock, is that it will not break through the wrist. It can be plain or even ugly wood, but strong! Here is the reply I got back from Walnut Grove Gunstocks. I have not received my stock yet. I am not affiliated with the company, and have only delt with them in ordering this one Plain Jane stock.

Gordon

Yes, we do make semi inletted stocks for the Steyr M95. What type of stock are you interested in? Military or sporterized version?

Our price for a plain, straight grain semi inletted stock is $125 (standard length) or $225 (Mannlicher length). Looking forward to working with you.
    Thanks,
    www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com.