RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: bullet getting shaved loading 22 bators into 5.56 brass

Boolit Bub

bullet getting shaved loading 22 bators into 5.56 brass

I just started loading 5.56 ammo for my AR-15. I am using the Lee ultimate die set, 223 remington and the lee 22 Bators mold. I am sizing the cast bullets to .224 after powder coating. I use linotype lead which gives me a 48gr. bullet over 21.5gr. IMR 4895. This cycles the M&P AR-15 and hits the target with about a 3" group at about 30yards standing shot. I am not using gas checks.
    My problem is when loading the bullets the first ring (I think)on about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bullets get shaved slighty. I end up with a very thin partial semi circle of powder coating and /or lead when I take the bullet out of the seating die. Is there a way to adjust the die to expand the case mouth slightly bigger?

Boolit Grand Master
    You need to open the mouth of the brass before seating. Put a bell on the mouth and I bet your problem goes away. You will have to experiment as to how much of a bell is required. A little trial & error here will pay big dividends.

Boolit Master
    russs,
    Are you using a neck expander / mouth flair die? You need to bell mouth the case like you do for pistol ammo when loading cast boolits. Even some very flat base J word bullets require a mouth flair to start good. The Hornady 100gr short jacket in .308" is one of them.

A Lyman "M" die (I think they make one for .22 cal) is what you need.

Motor

Banned

I just bump the case mouth against my 24 cal neck sizer this gives me enough flair to seat things without trouble.
    the seater die irons things back out.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, I have a 30-06 die set. I will try using the expanding pin from that sizing die and see if that works.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee Universal Expanding die. Works on a lot of calibers.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I just bump the case mouth against my 24 cal neck sizer this gives me enough flair to seat things without trouble.
    the seater die irons things back out.
    Quote Originally Posted by russs View Post
    Thanks guys, I have a 30-06 die set. I will try using the expanding pin from that sizing die and see if that works.
    I use this method with great success, I use a 7mm Lee FL die, but the caliber doesn't really matter, as long as it larger. also, it's a MUST to have all the cases trimmed to same length for this method.

If your 30-06 FL die is a newer Lee with the Ez-Xpander, it'll work great, if it's another brand or an older Lee, Probably not so much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the input. My lee 30-06 FL die is about a year old so it should have the EZ-Xpander. I will be trying to get some loading done early this week and will give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    I use the Lee Universal Expanding die. Works on a lot of calibers.
    This Lee die is inexpensive and works great at flaring the necks however much you want, on just about any case, rifle or pistol. Not a substitute for an expander die but often a little flare quick and easy is all you need. This and the Lee Universal De-capping Die have saved me a lot of trouble at times.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman "M" die is the best option to use, especially for the 22 caliber. It makes a little shelf for the boolit to set on when seating it. Much easier than trying to hold that little boolit in the correct position.

Boolit Bub
    Loaded about 100, 223's today. I tried the 30-06 expanding pin from the sizing die.Worked like a charm. Just barely touched the cases to the die in the press and it flared it enough(you could not really see the flare)that there was no shaving of any bullets. Thanks again for the tip.

100 won't last very long!

Boolit Master
    M die, and seating and crimping in separate steps is what fixed it when I ran into the same problem