MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Springer Air Gun Repair

Boolit Master

Springer Air Gun Repair

I am getting ready to design and make a jig to release tension on (and replace too) the spring on my air gun.

How many inches will the spring need to be released to get it to little or no pressure.

The seal has gone out on my FAVORITE chinwerekebau side cocker and I have to get it apart to figure what kind of seal will be available to repair it.

First I have to build something the release that spring in a controlled manner.

Anyone know of a good "experimenters" air gun site.

A group of airgunners like we are here, not just competitors or shooters?

A hint . . . do not grab the wrong oil container to lube the piston seal . . . it may not be compatible.

At least I hope it is something that simple, but since it started loosing compression within a few shots after oiling, that is my assumption.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-13-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Add question
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.yellowforum.com historically has been a great forum. Be prepared to step back in time though, WRT forum design/function.

I built a spring compressor/decompressor fixture for a RWS 460 (the only springer I have -- I don't know how it compares to yours), and the screw has about 6" of travel. It has been a long time since it has been used, but the amount of travel was sufficient. I vaguely recall thinking that if I had to do it over, I'd make the travel a little longer, as there was still a little tension at full travel, but it was easy enough to release safely by hand at that point.
    Last edited by kencha; 09-13-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Gateway To Airguns is a good place to connect with some hardcore airgunners.

I have tuned/repaired most of my airguns and have found the spring will extend from the receiver tube about 2 to 3 inches when tension is released.

Boolit Buddy
    http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/air-rifles

Have a prowl around here, a few tune ups and rebuilds can be found. I think off memory my Diana 34 soaked a good 4-6" of thread on my clamp. It is annoying to run out of thread I know that.

I'd have to second GTA (Gateway to airguns) I've learned a lot there and found most people quite decent.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    There are youtube videos on rebuilding airguns that are quite helpful. Just snoop around there and something will spring up.

Boolit Master
    Try this link for a spring compressor. http://www.kermitairgunclub.com/airguntips/compressor/

Boolit Master

I am going to settle on a design and build the apparatus this weekend and then we will see what I get into with the seal.

Too bad I don't have one of those Mc??? whiz bang springs to pu in it when i put it back together.

It is my most accurate with the best trigger so to get it shooting will be good, especially because my undercocker is going out now and the Winchester 1028 has a trigger that NOONE could learn to love.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not positive but that model should have steel piston rings, hard if not impossible to wear out, I think the breech seal removes from the front of the cylinder, no need to tear down