Creamy chicken wild rice soup

2 chicken leg quarters
    4 small carrots or 2 large, chopped into small cubes
    4 ribs celery sliced about the same as the carrots
    4 large cloves of garlic smashed and chopped
    1 medium onion
    1/2 to 1 cup wild rice
    1 cup of cream

Make a stock with the chicken leg quarters in seasoned water, pull the chicken out and debone it. Return the bones ot the stock to cook longer.
    Add the wild rice to the stock and cook for an hour at a simmer, remove the bones at this point
    Add all the veg and continue cooking until the wild rice is tender(2-3 hours total cook on the rice)
    Add the chopped meat and simmer until warm then add the cream and just warm, do not simmer or it will break.

Looks and sounds great.
    Now that we've had hard freezes and the gardening is over for the year, all the vegies are in the house.
    A freezer full of chickens we butchered about a month ago.
    We're going to have to try this one out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks great MaryB.

Getting to be comfort food weather. This is DEFINITELY comfort food. Get a nice sourdough baguette to go with it. Yum!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Was the first 35 degree night I made that, love fall soups and stews, eat for 4 days cheap too! Now that it is cooler I will get the bread baking fired back up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Was the first 35 degree night I made that, love fall soups and stews, eat for 4 days cheap too! Now that it is cooler I will get the bread baking fired back up.
    Getting ready for fall I cleaned the chimney today and all the flue pipe. Did chicken wings. First time the oven has been fired up in many weeks.
    Gonna grill tomorrow. Looking at recipes for football snacks. Suggestions??
    Can't wait for fall food.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 chicken leg quarters out to hot smoke, will toss on 3-4 large potatoes to smoke bake too because they make great hash with eggs. Smoke baked potato wedges ni the deep fryer are good too. Keeping it simple tomorrow, make a few leftovers for Monday and Tuesday. Always have salad and if the garden didn't freeze might have a cucumber.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gonna do either thighs or leg quarters today myself MaryB.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

Mary B thank you....will try it with duck breasts.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan