RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's The Best .22 Rimfire Scope???

Boolit Master
    GhostHawk, I admit I am a competitor, I shoot a Anschutz 2002CA at 10 meters with a scope that is 14.5X-35X and a Anschutz 2013 with the same scope at 50' I also have a Anschutz Silhouette rifle with a Leupold 6.5X20X EFR scope for 25,50,75, and 100 yard shooting . I made up years ago when Winchester and Browning both came out with reproduction 52B's (have one of each), the Winchester has a 6.5X20X EFR with target knobs mounted on it that has been shot a lot at 200 yards and some 300 yards, The Browning has a Leupold 3.5x10x50mm EFR with target knobs mounted on it. To say I like my 22's would be an understatement.

Boolit Buddy
    ^
    for the love of god, pics please

Doc, no hard feelings here.

I'm just a farm boy, but I didn't fall off the beet wagon last week.

Parallax adjustment is indeed very handy for those target shooters who desire high power at close range.
    No argument there at all.

However thinking you need that same feature on a hunting scope is a mistake.
    Lower power gives you a wider field of view, MUCH wider in some cases.

It doesn't matter if you can count the eyelashes on a squirrels eye if you miss the 2 squirrels one branch over offering you a great double tap shot because your zoomed in too far to see them.

In my experience the only people who consistently want parallax correction at high power at close range are competitors as yourself.

That takes a special kind of skill. You won't hear me running it down.
    I'm of a slightly different persuasion. If I want to shoot .22 I prefer to burn gunpowder behind it.

That is not to say I don't see the advantage of some airguns. I have a mid 70's Sheridan that has thousands of pellets through it.
    Your truck might quit, dog might die, lady's come and lady's go, but my Sheridan has never failed me.

But I am just a farm boy, I don't need that starling to fall dead from a pellet perfectly centered in its eye.
    Anywhere in the head will do, as long as it falls. For what I need the Sheridan is a perfect match.

If I need more power and accuracy than that I move up to my Ruger 10/22 and a Bushnell 3-9 variable. (Came off my dad's .270 deer rifle)

You want to play with shotgun hulls at 100m, laying on their side, ok.

You may return to your regularly scheduled programing. This ol farm boy needs to drink some coffee.

Boolit Master
    GhostHawk, I know where you are coming from. I have on my 1895 Marlin a Leupold LPS 1.5X-6X 42mm scope and for my shotgun and muzzle loader have Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5X-6X 42mm scopes, unfortunately none of these scopes are made any more. My thinking about using a scope on a 22rf for hunting would be for shooting squirrels where you might only be able to see part of the head peering over a branch and a 9X-10X scope at 35-40 feet might come in handy. Some of the places I hunt it comes in handy.

EFR 6.5-20X40 TMR on my quad which is mostly used for shooting targets with the .22lr heavy varmint barrel .. but some of the time its used with the .17hmr barrel for sniping rabbits when theyre in plague numbers out to 200yds.
    for sniping/target work the Leupold is a very fine scope indeed, with the burris rings plus inserts its capable of longrange work . . . but not my first choice if i wanted a plinker/walkabout rifle combo, adjusting the parralex is just to slow.

Boolit Bub
    I use a nightforce compitition br scope for my rimfire br guns. Cant be beat. Also the weaver t36 is a very good value

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Both of my scoped .22s wear Leupold glass. One wears a 2-7X .22 scope. The other a 3-9X AO with target turrets installed.

The boys over at rimfire central seem to think the Meuller APV is the cats meow. Having said that I stuck Leupold glass on my rifles. Take it for what you will.

Whatever glass you choose, if my opinion matters, please choose good glass. If I had the scratch I wouldn't be adverse to sticking a swarovski on a .22 I believe a good .22 deserves quality glass and ammunition.
    YMMV.

FWIW the stupid 597 likes remington thunderduds. Go figure.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 10-26-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    Amen, another of my rimfire w Swarovski , nice leupolds! Had to go shorter/ smaller on this one due to rear sight. 2.5-15x44 z6i

Boolit Master
    I put a Leupold 8.5-25x scope in my Anschutz and I was not able to focus it at 25 yards so I then mounted a Leupold 6.5-20EFR scope so now I am happy.

The high end glass is great but if it does not allow you to focus close enough for your purpose then what good is it. This is why I like scopes with parallax adjustment on my 22Lr guns that I shoot as close as 10-15 feet to 300 yards which is as long as my range goes.

IV been wondering for awhile how the BSA Sweet scopes are? I know you can get better and pay more but for just plinking, they are getting good reviews.

Boolit Master
    At the risk of sounding humorous, if you are in need of a darn good but darn cheap 3/4" scope, check out the GAMO 2-7x they sell for use on air rifles. For the princely sum of $15 I think it is hard to beat for certain installations. I needed a small 3/4" scope to mount on my dainty little German single shot stalking rifle in 5.6x35R (.22 Hornet) which I feed cast bullets at rimfire velocities. A bigger "full size" scope simply dwarfed the rifle, and the older American 3/4" scopes were pretty crummy compared to this GAMO. It works beautifully, with nice clear optics. My only complaint was in regards to the el-cheapo rings that came with it, which was quickly remedied.
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 12-07-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzinbruce;2930087[B
    ]One I can recommend is a Leupold 3-9 Compact EFR.[/B] The EFR let's you focus for the distance you are shooting at. And it is an excellent scope but pricey. I do have one on my Ruger 77/22 and am quite happy with it. I did have to get the extended rings to be able to mount it where it needed to be for eye relief.
    YUP! I have 5 of them on various rifles, mostly CZ 452s and 527s and they are great.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123