Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Michigan lifts firearm deer restrictions....a little.

Boolit Master

I think 450 bushmaster or 45 raptor is better for you (and I say that as a shooter and fanatic of 460 S&W) just because there is much more support for shooting 300 yards with them (bushmaster anyways) than with the 460 S&W, simply due to the nature of the guns chambered in them.

were it me, assuming I can blow open 308 pickup brass straight, I'd be going for the raptor. I don't mind expensive machinery in order to limit brass cost at this point.

Nice to go up to 65 ksi, where the bushmaster can't really go. There really isnt data for 460 S&W for those 160 grian barnes TAC bullets, but let me know if you ever find any, especially for their claimed 3000 fps. I bet I can do that in my BFR while staying under the pressure limits. The 300 grian LEE boolit would be the hammer of god though, that's for sure. If you could get it to feed.

Boolit Master
    I have only trimmed brass down to SAMMI lengths. How are these .45-70 cases being trimmed down to 1.8?
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

I used a Harbor Freight mini cutoff saw to remove most of the length then used my trimmer to get them uniform. After trimming I then annealed them as the new mouth where to hard. There is a longer write up over on the Michigan Responsible Gun Owner board in the reloading sub. Clint

Boolit Master
    Thank you Clint.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    ........ IF we get lucky and they bring their stuff in line with Indiana the 458 might be ok in another year or two.
    Not likely. These revisions to the regs have been made for a three year duration. The MDNR will be reviewing and revising the regs at three year intervals, so the soonest we could hope to see any changes would be 2017.

I will wait and watch top see if the 45Raptor takes off......make sure the bugs are worked out and availability is good.
    ~Charlie U.

Smile Tubing Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    I have only trimmed brass down to SAMMI lengths. How are these .45-70 cases being trimmed down to 1.8?
    Find yourself a pilot to support the inside of the case, mark the outside of the case to 1.850" or so, and use a tubing cutter to take off the large amount. Trim the rest to even out the length..

Boolit Master

frankly you can drive the cutter of your current case trimmer down the case till you are there. Lots more deburring, but it works.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    I performed the load development a couple of years ago. This is a accurate 460-400L over 30.0 grains of H4198. Velocity is around 1250 FPS out of my 1895 cowboy. More speed can be had but I can put five of these into a 6" circle offhand at 100 yards.
    How do you crimp these?
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

I got rid of the bell mouth on my shortened .38-55 using a lyman neck sizing die. I adjusted the die just enough to straighten the case out but then again I am using a Win/jap 1885 (that shoots like a house afire).
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

A TC Encore with any of the supermag line of cartridges should work well.
    The 357 Remington Maximum with the 180 gr spritzer type bullet should perform well to a couple hundred yards.
    Leo

Boolit Man
    Hmmmm. Can you use a short cartridge in a long chamber?
    A shortened 45-70 shot out of a normal 45-70 rifle?

Boolit Master

if straightwall, of course. if SLIGHT taper, assuming the case needed a little reaming to get to the right ID, I'd still do it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234