MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michigan lifts firearm deer restrictions....a little.

Banned
    God bless deer season especially black powder. Mine opens the 11th and those tasty suckers best be on the lookout for a flash and a cloud of smoke!

Im sure its a giant PITA to have those rules, but for a guy who has always lived in the free states, it sounds like a bit of fun to have to come up with something like the suggestions above.

Quote Originally Posted by adanymous View Post
    God bless deer season especially black powder. Mine opens the 11th and those tasty suckers best be on the lookout for a flash and a cloud of smoke!

Im sure its a giant PITA to have those rules, but for a guy who has always lived in the free states, it sounds like a bit of fun to have to come up with something like the suggestions above.

It has been a lot of fun and quite a ride. The 1.8" regulations are what got me into reloading.....which quickly got me into casting! That is the one good thing that has came out of this whole mess.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Nice to see all the MI boys reporting in when it isn't bad news!!! Hey y'all how about a chili cook in and shoot some time? Also have lots of garden toddies still to give away and always looking for a.new shooting hunting casting partner.
    When and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    I performed the load development a couple of years ago. This is a accurate 460-400L over 30.0 grains of H4198. Velocity is around 1250 FPS out of my 1895 cowboy. More speed can be had but I can put five of these into a 6" circle offhand at 100 yards.
    Just curious do you shoot these out of the standard chamber.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    Just curious do you shoot these out of the standard chamber.
    Yes out of a standard chamber.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

I am looking to pickup something for next year.

Looking at a 44 mag Handi.

Boolit Bub
    I had to backoff useing the riffle thing for a while now. I could no longer handle the recoil on the back and soulders. I went to a .41 s&m with a 8 3/8 barrel. It has been working verry well for me and a lot less for me to carry into the woods. Every deer i shot at went home with me and there were a few.

Phil

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    I'm considering getting one of the Rossi 92's and having a 357 maximum reamer passed through it. Should shoot pretty flat.
    Ok was talking to my friend again, was NOT a Rossi he converted was something else. While his works well he said it was a big enough pain in the behind he wasn't doing another.

doug guy's 300 grain bullet pushed by 10 grains of unique simply POUNDS pigs and deer.
    Shoulder shots inside of 75 yards simply drops 'em in their shadow.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

In Remembrance

I knew an old `smith that had a "different" type of Lower Peninsula deer gun. He took an H&R Topper in 410 gauge made a heavier barrel for it and lightly 4 groove rifled it. He took 444 Marlin cases and thinned the case head and rim. Made his own boolet mold for this case and snug barrel fit. If ever stopped by a DNR officer to examine this firearm, it was simply a brass cased 410 deer gun.Robert

Got to shoot my 450marlinx1.8 this week. Shot a 1.5" group at 100yds and centered a 12" gong at 200yds 4 times after was told I was hitting just under it? Am using a Lyman 500gr rngc bullet at 1750 fps seat to full length. Clint

I just stumbled across a new cartridge......the 45RAPTOR. Sounds might just be what I'm looking for with the new Michigan rifle restrictions.

http://www.beyond556.com/bboard/foru...-the-45-raptor

I'll have to watch and see if this takes off. An upper in 45RAPTOR for the Remington R25 or Armalite AR-10
    would be pretty awesome.
    ~Charlie U.

Boolit Buddy

I'm not so sure about headspacing on the mouth of the cartridge at that high pressure. I was discussing this recently with a friend in regard to the 44 auto mag. Then again, if they got it to work it's cool.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not use a 450 Bushmaster? Ammo can be had for "cheap" at PSA. Espically when it goes on sale which is several times a year.
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by micky_blue View Post
    Why not use a 450 Bushmaster? Ammo can be had for "cheap" at PSA. Espically when it goes on sale which is several times a year.
    Because I already have a 458 socom which to me is better in every way EXCEPT being Michigan legal, and IF we get lucky and they bring their stuff in line with Indiana the 458 might be ok in another year or two. If not that's ok because I just put a Ruger 44 Carbine on layaway Realistically it'll do anything I need it to do.

For anybody that didn't already have a big bore AR I'd say that it's a compelling argument for the Bushmaster tho. I like that I don't have to buy special mags for mine tho.

I picked up a Rossi lever gun in 45 Colt last year in anticipation of Michigan allowing certain pistol cartridges.

I'll be brewing up some 255 RFN bullets with a little more pep than what can be bought on the shelf...maybe 1300-1400fps. Looking forward to setting the shotgun aside this year

Quote Originally Posted by clintsfolly View Post
    Got to shoot my 450marlinx1.8 this week. Shot a 1.5" group at 100yds and centered a 12" gong at 200yds 4 times after was told I was hitting just under it? Am using a Lyman 500gr rngc bullet at 1750 fps seat to full length. Clint
    Sounds like a dandy to me, but you might want to get clarification from the DNR on the 450 marlin short before hunting with it. Will it be considered "straight walled" with the belt on it?

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    Yes out of a standard chamber.
    I'm going to give this a try in my 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun, had planned on using my .357 Max Contender, will look into the possibility of a model 77 in .357 Mag re-chambered to .357 Max. in the future, would like to have the choice of all the .357 molds I have on hand, can't wait to hunt with a rifle in lower MI, never thought I'd see the day!
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Ruger #1 in 460 S&W
    Or Puma in 480 Ruger
    Ruger #1 475 Linebaugh

Is it a straight wall with a rim??? I think so and a belt is just a thick rim. Clint

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast