Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on non-1911 full sized 45acp

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Dont over look the most obvious "non" 1911 45 acp. Its accurate reliable and accurate. The S&W model 25
    What he said.

I have the same German made 220 Sig I bought in 1990. It is a fine pistol-accurate and feeds anything. It has had between 12,000 and 15,000 rounds through it. I carried it for a duty gun for over 7 years. You do need to swap springs out about every 5,000 rounds. The trigger return spring broke on mine in the first three years I had it.

I've owned and carried numerous 45acp shooting irons. I sold them all and kept the 220 and the G21. At the present time I installed an Osprey from Silencerco on the G21 and think I'm in shooter heaven.

Boolit Master

I like the Sigs over the Glocks -- more metal at least in int P229 that I own. The Glock 21 can easily be converted to .45 super or .460 Rowland though.

Boolit Master

Don't fight it, get a 1911.
    Rock Island and Springfield makes very good starter 1911's.
    You'll end up with a 1911 eventually, start now and avoid the frustration.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

The P220 is the finest handgun Ive ever shot. Since the guy sold it to me, he has been trying to get it back.

We wants to get me a P227, I held one. Unless you have big meat hooks like I do, Id stick with the P220.
    The 227 was a tad bit to wide, even for my big hands.

FYI The P220 is a "carry" and has an inch short barrel and slide compared to the 1911

I told him I want a full size P220, and he has not found one yet
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Options, there arent any. All others are compared to the 1911, why go with substitute when the real thing is to be had?

The SIG is a heck of a gun by all accounts. I have an M&P, which is the most accurate of my 45 pistols, and I am something of a proselytizer for them. I hung a light/laser on the dustcover rail, and it is my idea of the perfect nightstand pistol. The trigger is easy to fix. You can find instructions on the internet, and there are drop-in parts that will do the job for a little more cash.

Boolit Master
    There's a reason the 1911 action is still SO sought after, more than a hundred years after it's debut. Though my personal preference is for the shorter Commander length and even the officers acp, it is still VERY hard (make that impossible) to beat a quality 1911. I prefer Colts but will certainly concede that other makers have quality products as well.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Don't fight it, get a 1911.
    Rock Island and Springfield makes very good starter 1911's.
    You'll end up with a 1911 eventually, start now and avoid the frustration.
    Ive got 2 already. A RIA and a Sig STX. Love them both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    As much as I like my 1911s, I would like to get a SIG 227 next. I've had a couple of Glocks (both a 21 & 30). They weren't nearly as accurate as any of my 1911s, and both took a trip to gun shows with me. YMMV.

Dave

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    I prefer Colts but will certainly concede that other makers have quality products as well.

That is true, but none of those other makers have a Pony on them!!

Back to the OP which is about a non-1911 45...Glock 21. Mebbe a Glock 30S after playing with one yesterday.

Mine has a Pony on the side as I own Colt 1911 & a Springfield 1911A1 every house hold should have one issued.

Love Life
    My Glocks are made by Colt.

Im with robertbank... The cz97 is a very accurate gun (normally), and has a 10 round mag. I sold mine after buying my first 1911 however...

The 1911 was a better fit in my hand, less fussy about feeding, and just as accurate when shot off hand. The cz97 required longer fingers than i have to operate easily, so it sat in the safe...then got traded in against a 460 s&w magnum. THAT was a power upgrade

The Sig P220 is a well made, accurate and long lived DA 45. It would be ideal for your needs. They are not cheap, but quality seldom is.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    SIG-Sauer P-220. I live with one daily. Glock 21 and CZ-97 are good pistols, but the P-220 carries more easily and lightly. If CCW is not a factor, then I would call it toss-up between the three. Best of all, though, would be a Series 70 Colt Commander--assuming a modern version that feeds HPs.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

On Heaven's Range

I immigrated from Canada in '97, leaving that place of incredibly-restrictive gun laws in my rear-view mirror.

Without any exaggeration whatever, TWENTY MINUTES after I first had my Nevada driver's license in my hand, I also owned a newly-purchased and lovely .45 SIG P-220.

This was partly due to the qualities of the gun itself, but even more because of the incredible contrast between buying a handgun here in Nevada, and doing the same thing in Canada. I bought the gun simply because I COULD, without all the Canadian red tape, permits and official hoops to be jumped through.

I was amazed then, and I'm still amazed today at the differences (AND grateful).

Oh.... and my SIG .45 is still a wonderful handgun. I made a very good choice indeed.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

It's down to the Sig P220 Scorpion model or the P227 in FDE. Both a little "different" and can't quite decide just yet. May go with the P227 since it is almost an exact replica of my favorite all time 9mm. My Sig P226 Tac ops
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I immigrated from Canada in '97, leaving that place of incredibly-restrictive gun laws in my rear-view mirror.

Without any exaggeration whatever, TWENTY MINUTES after I first had my Nevada driver's license in my hand, I also owned a newly-purchased and lovely .45 SIG P-220.

This was partly due to the qualities of the gun itself, but even more because of the incredible contrast between buying a handgun here in Nevada, and doing the same thing in Canada. I bought the gun simply because I COULD, without all the Canadian red tape, permits and official hoops to be jumped through.

I was amazed then, and I'm still amazed today at the differences (AND grateful).

Oh.... and my SIG .45 is still a wonderful handgun. I made a very good choice indeed.
    BruceB much has changed since you left. While are gun laws are more restrictive them some of the US States many of the US states have much worse laws than we do when it comes to gun sales in general. Most of our gun laws were patterned off of California statutes - C 68 in particular. Our countries have completely different histories and while I respect a lot of what goes on in the US I would not trade positions with many down there at my age and I am equally sure there are those in the US who feel the same way about this country. Different strokes for different folks.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12